Cannot delete Invalid Uninstall Entries from Registry

-- I run Windows XP Home, SP 2, with all patches and upgrades through the
latest MS Update. I use an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have extensive realtime
spyware/antivirus protection and scan daily for viruses and spyware. I think
the machine is clean.

I have used a 3rd party uninstaller program for about 8 months. It will
detect 9 invalid uninstall entries--they are Registry Keys. I can see all
these keys in Regedit. They have the form
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{14589F05-C658-4594-9429-D437BA688686}
Here are two more of them
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2FCE4FC5-6930-40E7-A4F1-F862207424EF}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C04DF1B-6A39-4299-9DD1-1FA60000266E
The invalids do not show up in Windows Add/Remove programs.

I cannot delete them. When I right click and select Delete I get an error
message that says "Cannot delete {........key number.......) error while
deleting key."

I have tried Windows Installer Cleanup. Doesn't see any problems to delete.
I have read the thread "Msconfig - cleanup obsolete entries" and nothing
there seems to fit. I did try a few things and I have used three suggested
startup program tools. The keys do not produce any entries in msconfig
Startup tab.

They seem benign but I'd like to know how to get rid of them. They may have
resulted from my ignorance with a new HP machine when I tried to remove
multiple examples of Backweb Lite found by SpyBot, not knowing that this "spy
program" is the basis of many HP update routines. That caused a real problem
with system stability but I was able to do Sys Restore and get back before
the detection/removal attempt on Backweb Lite.

Does anybody know how to get rid of these things? I have two laptops, one
of which also has about 20 invalid registry keys in the Uninstall string.
Same situation exists--it runs XP Pro, SP 2. I have another laptop with no
evidence whatsoever of any invalids. This machine is XP Home, SP2. I use
Advanced Uninstaller on all three machines. This may eliminate it as the
cause. Tech support for this program was contacted and they said it was
because the uninstalls that cause these invalids result from poor application
software design.

Any help, insight, solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for your help,

Scholastica

Hi,

The entries are benign indeed. It may simply be a permissions issue. Right
click the key and select permissions. You may need to take ownership of it
before you are able to delete it (click Help & Support, search on "take
ownership" if you are unfamiliar with this process).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scholastica" <Scholastica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> -- I run Windows XP Home, SP 2, with all patches and upgrades through the
> latest MS Update. I use an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have extensive
> realtime
> spyware/antivirus protection and scan daily for viruses and spyware. I
> think
> the machine is clean.
>
> I have used a 3rd party uninstaller program for about 8 months. It will
> detect 9 invalid uninstall entries--they are Registry Keys. I can see all
> these keys in Regedit. They have the form
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{14589F05-C658-4594-9429-D437BA688686}
> Here are two more of them
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2FCE4FC5-6930-40E7-A4F1-F862207424EF}
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C04DF1B-6A39-4299-9DD1-1FA60000266E
> The invalids do not show up in Windows Add/Remove programs.
>
> I cannot delete them. When I right click and select Delete I get an error
> message that says "Cannot delete {........key number.......) error while
> deleting key."
>
> I have tried Windows Installer Cleanup. Doesn't see any problems to
> delete.
> I have read the thread "Msconfig - cleanup obsolete entries" and nothing
> there seems to fit. I did try a few things and I have used three
> suggested
> startup program tools. The keys do not produce any entries in msconfig
> Startup tab.
>
> They seem benign but I'd like to know how to get rid of them. They may
> have
> resulted from my ignorance with a new HP machine when I tried to remove
> multiple examples of Backweb Lite found by SpyBot, not knowing that this
> "spy
> program" is the basis of many HP update routines. That caused a real
> problem
> with system stability but I was able to do Sys Restore and get back before
> the detection/removal attempt on Backweb Lite.
>
> Does anybody know how to get rid of these things? I have two laptops, one
> of which also has about 20 invalid registry keys in the Uninstall string.
> Same situation exists--it runs XP Pro, SP 2. I have another laptop with
> no
> evidence whatsoever of any invalids. This machine is XP Home, SP2. I use
> Advanced Uninstaller on all three machines. This may eliminate it as the
> cause. Tech support for this program was contacted and they said it was
> because the uninstalls that cause these invalids result from poor
> application
> software design.
>
> Any help, insight, solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Scholastica

Thanks, Rick, it worked. I had to go to the web to get instructions to
change the permission on the keys--my help and support applet gave me an
error message. I'll take that up with HP later.

I removed 9 invalids. It was very interesting to see what applications left
them there. 6 of them came from program.

Now I'll get them off my laptop.

--
Thank you for your help,

Scholastica

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> > problem
> > with system stability but I was able to do Sys Restore and get back before
> > the detection/removal attempt on Backweb Lite.
> >
> > Does anybody know how to get rid of these things? I have two laptops, one
> > of which also has about 20 invalid registry keys in the Uninstall string.
> > Same situation exists--it runs XP Pro, SP 2. I have another laptop with
> > no
> > evidence whatsoever of any invalids. This machine is XP Home, SP2. I use
> > Advanced Uninstaller on all three machines. This may eliminate it as the
> > cause. Tech support for this program was contacted and they said it was
> > because the uninstalls that cause these invalids result from poor
> > application
> > software design.
> >
> > Any help, insight, solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You're most welcome, glad to hear it worked for you.