GreenGoblin

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Will I benifit at any way if i get a memory with a higher frequansy than my FSB? I mean, if i have a 333Mhz FSB getting a DDR400 will better than DDR333 ?

sturm

Splendid
only if you overclock the fsb. That is if the motherboard will handle the overclock. Increase the speed 1 or 2 mhz at a time and un it for awhile to be sure its stable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Correct. But so many newer chipsets stress RAM so hard, I often recommend PC3500 to people who really only need PC3200, simply to add stability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I strongly agree with Crashman. Also, by getting faster RAM, you can set more aggressive timings by using it at lower frequencies than which it was rated at. I use PC3500 RAM at 400Mhz with more aggressive timings than recommended for 433Mhz.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
But Crash, OUCH. Corsair 512 PC 3200 is $90. The cheapest 3500 module (that'd I'd trust) is OCZ, and looks to be about $145. Is it really worth paying 50% more, especially when you can go with a good brand cheaply?

P.S. both these prices are from newegg so may not be the cheapest possible.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They have Kingmax PC3500 for $92

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I always counted Kingmax in the "Genera-Ram" category, but I guess if you'd have no qualms about recommending them, I'd agree that for $90, get the 3500.

"The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it" - Oscar Wilde

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Kingmax is making a big push right now to prove they're the "little company that can". After a few years of production problems they're trying to get big based on their assertion that those problems are in the past. Although I can't vouch for their PC3500 being as good as anyone elses PC3500, it should be better at PC3200 speed than most standard PC3200.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Actually, Mushkin has a dual-pack of pc3500 on newegg for $259.00. That's about $130 per stick, which is actually $18 cheaper than a single 512 stick of their 3500!! Another thing that's interesting is I was originally planning to run 3 X 512 of Corsair value RAM in my K8N Neo Platinum when that board finally comes out. Now, I'm beginning to doubt the RAM's ability to play nice with the Athlon64 memory controller when all 3 DIMMs are full. Although, I imagine I could relax the timings a bit if need be. I'm not too worried about high latencies with the Athlon64 having an integrated memory controller, plus with 1.5 Gig your system should hardly ever touch the swap file, which is where the real slowdown happens anyway.

"The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it" - Oscar Wilde

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS 755 and nForce3 250 boards are somehow running more stable with 3 DIMMs than others. I know that doesn't make sense when you consider AMD has their memory controller onboard, but Anandtech and Tomshardware have both seen superior results with those chipsets.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I'd imagine it's just a quality issue, with those 2 going above and beyond what they had to. Still, now the real question: will you see any real increase from 3 sticks? Because to be honest, I know that the K8N FSB OC's real easy, and now I'm tempted to get that 1 gig of PC4000 Corsair from newegg and try OCing later on. I'm trying to think of another application that would benefit from 1.5 vs 1 gig of RAM and I can only think of video editing, which I don't really care about. Mostly, I was doing it for future-proofing and newer games. But I really don't see any game gobbling that much up.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Ok this was the orrigional question
Will I benifit at any way if i get a memory with a higher frequansy than my FSB? I mean, if i have a 333Mhz FSB getting a DDR400 will better than DDR333 ?
someone says that you cannot use DDR 400 in a board with a 333Mhz FSB...surly he could run the RAM assyncronously, it would still give him a performance boost.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jammydodger on 06/21/04 10:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
not really. At 333, the ram is keeping time with the processor. As fast as the processor can request info, the ram can send it. Hell, he might even get worse performance due to wait cycles. And before you ask "how can going faster be slower?" remember that AMD mobos work best when the RAM has a larger refresh delay, like 9 or 10 as opposed to 5 or 6.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, NO, DON'T MAKE ME THINK!!! It's so much easier just to repeat things I already know!

No, I wouldn't go with 3 sticks unless I had to. And I don't think most people will need more than a gig even for doing video editing, although more RAM is helpfull there. I have XMS4000 Pro myself, but wouldn't recommend paying the extra $50 for the "Pro" just to get the cool looking LED's. You can read my review of this RAM at Sysopt if you like (the reason I have the Pro is because it was free to me).

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I run RAM asyncronously in one of my P4 systems and there is deffinatly a increase in all the benchmarks I use when I run the RAM at 200Mhz instead of the FSB which is 133Mhz. I dont know if the same applies to Athlon systems though.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I wouldn't buy the xms4000 just for the bling, its 298 for a gig at newegg, that's damn near the cheapest pc4000 there. Also... 52 3d marks for a 50mhz FSB overclock? That's just discouraging... I'll probably still buy the ram for the stability, but my plans to oc to a 250 FSB just seem stupid now.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Obtuse on 06/22/04 01:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/Corsair_TwinX1024-4000Pro/index.html" target="_new">http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/Corsair_TwinX1024-4000Pro/index.html</A> The picture isn't right, the editor didn't think my pics were good enough and coppied the wrong one from the website.