Sign in with
Your question

HD Radeon 7850 driver crashing and recovering

Last response: in Windows 7
August 23, 2012 10:54:57 AM

Hello, I bought the HD Radeon 7870 DD a few weeks ago, and i've been having a very frustrating problem. I will be playing a game, any game (not a high end game) and the screen will freeze, go black, and then come back on with the message on the lines of "Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" How do I fix this? i've been talking to XFX tech support, but they only reply once a day T_T

I've uninstalled/Reinstalled multiple different versions of the driver with no solution.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 11:42:44 AM

Sounds like a bad card presuming everything connected right and PSU big enough. Can you try in a different machine? Have you played with Vsync on/off?
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:48:53 AM

1 of the games i played had Vsync off, while the other two had it on. and my PSU is 750.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 11:52:48 AM

I would request RMA. In my experience cards simply work if they are OK, there can be an individual new game that has issues but that is why we get driver updates and game patches.
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:59:15 AM

I'll check into that tonight when i get home. Until then, can anyone possibly think of a fix for it?
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:22:40 PM

My 7850 did that when I clocked too high.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:23:16 PM

When overclocking my HD7870, that was the sign of a bad overclock. I presume you havent overclocked it at all, or it has come with a factory OC?
If you have, you either need to increase the voltage to make it stable or back off the overclock.

If it as is (havent tweaked anything), look in Catalyst Control center and make sure that the clock speeds are at stock, the voltage should be around 1150mv (from memory, not entirely sure).

If all that checks out, the card you have is probably bad. Get an RMA and they will replace the card.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:33:16 PM

If it is an factory OC card and does not run advertized specs it is a reason enough to do an RMA. Why accept a product that does not deliver whats promised!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 12:48:12 PM

My gut agrees with you and most everyone else that it is probably the card; however it's best to check as much as you can before paying the return postage and sitting on your thumb for a few weeks.

I would suggest checking out the 12V voltage rail and temps (MSI Afterburner is a good program for this I believe, something that gives a graph over time is best). Temps over 80deg and voltages outside the range of 11.5-12.5V are noteworthy.

It's also worth asking if this a completely new computer, just a GPU upgrade, or something in between? What GPU did you have before, was it with this power supply?

A make and model of you PSU you would be helpful as well; not all 750W PSUs are created equal; and some aren't even 750W PSUs, but rather explosive devices disguised as power supplies, designed by UPS (the shipping company) for the sole purpose of increasing the RMA count of every other component in the computer (it's a total conspiracy I swarez it) ;) .
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:13:23 PM

Alright, now that i'm finally back home from school. I have never overclocked this card, it's only.... 2 weeks old? along with the rest of my computer, everything is new. It's just this video card that's giving me a headache..
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:53:46 PM

I've downloaded that, but how do you run it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 5:07:24 PM

That's a very common problem with Nvidia and ATI cards, for at least 7 years now.

There's no known fix really, but usually formatting and re-installing windows will fix it.

There are numerous forums dedicated to this issue. It's thought to be a windows issue.

I've had it myself with 2 different ATI cards and 1 Nvidia card.

Google ATIKMDAG (AMD cards) and NVLDDMKM (Nvidia cards)

I'm very surprised people are telling you to RMA your card, since it's such a common problem, I see at least one person posting on this forum about it every week.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 5:52:21 PM

geekapproved said:
That's a very common problem with Nvidia and ATI cards, for at least 7 years now.

There's no known fix really, but usually formatting and re-installing windows will fix it.

There are numerous forums dedicated to this issue. It's thought to be a windows issue.

I've had it myself with 2 different ATI cards and 1 Nvidia card.

Google ATIKMDAG (AMD cards) and NVLDDMKM (Nvidia cards)

I'm very surprised people are telling you to RMA your card, since it's such a common problem, I see at least one person posting on this forum about it every week.

So I guess I am the lucky one with 4 rigs with current AMD cards and windows 7 and never experienced this issue except a long time ago with a 18month old X1900GT that was accepted for RMA by Sapphire because of failing Vram.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:03:19 PM

I burned it onto a disk like it said, but nothing's happening when my computer reads the disc.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 6:22:10 PM

You need to boot up from the disk!
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:56:10 PM

Already, ran the test. No Errors at all. What now?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 7:05:45 PM

rolli59 said:
So I guess I am the lucky one with 4 rigs with current AMD cards and windows 7 and never experienced this issue except a long time ago with a 18month old X1900GT that was accepted for RMA by Sapphire because of failing Vram.

Google the errors I posted and see thousands of people have had the problem with XP, Vista and Windows 7 with both AMD and Nvidia cards.

All those people didn't RMA their cards. A simple format and re-install has always fixed it for me and I've never had to RMA any cards.
m
l
August 23, 2012 7:11:48 PM

If I Format and reinstall, won't I lose everything?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 7:14:46 PM

No need for me to google, since I have seen my share of those in here and else where. If windows reinstall fixes it fine but here we are talking about a new install anyway, other solutions like reducing overclock on a factory overclocked card is to me just not acceptable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 7:26:15 PM

None of the cards I've seen it with were overclocked.

Some people report whacky fixes. Everything from installing/uninstalling windows updates, to different memory configs, to turning of UAC, and turning off Aero. Personally I turn off UAC and AERO and have never had the problem since.

This forum has been running since 2007.
http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-s...
m
l
August 23, 2012 8:19:56 PM

My mind is in a total mess.. Tech Support is absolutly no help at all, since all he's saying is basically "It could be anything"
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 8:33:29 PM

geekapproved said:
None of the cards I've seen it with were overclocked.

Some people report whacky fixes. Everything from installing/uninstalling windows updates, to different memory configs, to turning of UAC, and turning off Aero. Personally I turn off UAC and AERO and have never had the problem since.

This forum has been running since 2007.
http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-s...

Vsync has been an issue as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2012 8:44:42 PM

ploxbox said:
My mind is in a total mess.. Tech Support is absolutly no help at all, since all he's saying is basically "It could be anything"

Tech support is right. There's no real known fix, but re-install has always fixed it for me. I already gave you this solution.

Other possible fixes:

What video card did you have before? Did you properly remove all the old drivers before installing the newest driver from AMD's website?

Have you tried disabling Aero and UAC?
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:00:04 PM

I've NEVER had a previous video card, this card is brand new, along with everything else in the computer. UAC and Aero are now disabled.

I only have 15 minutes before i have to head off to work, so when I get home i'll re-install windows.. although i really don't want to x_x
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 1:15:49 AM

See if UAC and Aero disabled fixes it, if not a re-install will do it. I re-install twice a year anyways just to keep it clean and fast. If you have Win7 it's not so bad, I have Vista so I spend an entire day getting updates, sucks.
m
l
August 24, 2012 1:33:17 AM

Disabling Aero is just a hack-fix. It just prevents the GPU from running at 3D clocks during day-to-day usage. Disabling UAC is the same way. I'd work on finding a more permanent solution.
m
l
August 24, 2012 1:37:43 AM

geekapproved said:
See if UAC and Aero disabled fixes it, if not a re-install will do it. I re-install twice a year anyways just to keep it clean and fast. If you have Win7 it's not so bad, I have Vista so I spend an entire day getting updates, sucks.

This is advice given by people who generally don't have a clue (and the advice isn't relevant anyway because it's a new build).

Take the following steps:

1 Reseat the card, I had a card crash because it wasn't in the slot all of the way

2 Use a system monitoring tool to keep an eye on voltages, voltages 5% out of spec on ANY rail (idle or load) means bad PSU. You can try logging things to see if you can catch any weird transitions, but in my experience they usually occur so quickly they logging tool misses them.

3 You've got a bad card (most likely option, and it happens from time to time). If any part of the card gets too hot to touch this is definitely your issue.

PS Post of the components in the build, we might spot something that can cause screwy issues
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:27:37 AM

ddpruitt said:
This is advice given by people who generally don't have a clue (and the advice isn't relevant anyway because it's a new build).

Take the following steps:

1 Reseat the card, I had a card crash because it wasn't in the slot all of the way

2 Use a system monitoring tool to keep an eye on voltages, voltages 5% out of spec on ANY rail (idle or load) means bad PSU. You can try logging things to see if you can catch any weird transitions, but in my experience they usually occur so quickly they logging tool misses them.

3 You've got a bad card (most likely option, and it happens from time to time). If any part of the card gets too hot to touch this is definitely your issue.

PS Post of the components in the build, we might spot something that can cause screwy issues

Here's each individual part.

DVD Writer: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Hard Drive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Video Card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

RAM: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MotherBoard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Processor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:17:30 AM

I'd be careful with that PSU. I've had issues with the CompUSA/TigerDirect/CircuitCity/etc powersupplies in the past. Your better off getting a lower wattage quality power supply than a higher wattage generic power supply.

I would move the card to another slot at least temporarily to see if that alleviates the issue

Also check the voltages through a monitoring program (or through the BIOS for kicks) to see if any voltages are off or swinging wildly. I use speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) quite a bit for this.

Given your setup I doubt you have any problems right now with the PSU, I'm betting you just happened to get a bad card. Keep in mind a driver crash like your describing is indicative of a hardware problem, specifically GPU lockup. The system is detecting the lockup and resetting the card each time, which is why different driver versions aren't making much of a difference.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 6:13:05 AM

That PSU may not be the source of the graphics card problem, but is a problem of its own.
Offbrand or generic PSU's are typically very low quality and, as can be seen on its product page, not fit certain standards. That PSU is not 80+ certified, so its efficiency is below 80% and its rail voltage control is essentially unknown. If the voltage control is horrendous, it can damage your components over time. 5% variance or under is 80+ Standard, but many manufacturers can achieve closer to 2%.

The wattage on the 12v rail is only 540W. It has no right to be labelled 750W, they most likely included the other rails to inflate the advertised wattage.

It doesnt have Active PFC either (it could, depends whether you want to go by the picture or product description), it even has the gall to list "Manual 130v and 220v Switching" as a special feature. In reality, automatic switching (Active PFC) is a missing feature that should be present in any PSU.

You should get a proper PSU, something from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX or Silverstone.
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:38:56 PM

Well, today we'll find out what part is deffective, i'm bringing it to my local computer store so they can figure it out. Thankfully, all of the parts are still under RMA until the 4th, and the store only takes (at max) 24 hours to figure it out. Hopefully they don't charge me too much, but it's better then sending a part back, and it ending up not being the problem, and then not being able to send any of the other parts back. Besides, i had sold my old computer (before the issues began) for $200, i know that's probably cheap, but it was my Gf's mother, and she was using an e Machine that finally croaked.
m
l
August 24, 2012 1:16:44 PM

1) Download Driver Fusion HERE.
2) Download Catalyst 12.8 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download 12.7 CAP3 HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Fusion and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 4:28:09 PM

aicom said:
Disabling Aero is just a hack-fix. It just prevents the GPU from running at 3D clocks during day-to-day usage. Disabling UAC is the same way. I'd work on finding a more permanent solution.

Dude your clueless.

Why would you want your gpu rnning "3d clocks" while your reading your friggin email?? :hello: 

Re-installing Windows IS relevent, because it will fix the problem. If you bothered to read any of the forums dedicated to this issue, obviously reseating the card, monitoring voltage and RMA'ing the card is irrelevent. As if the thousands of people on the forum have improperly seated cards or bad cards. LMFAO

you can only laugh at some of the ignorant comments on this forum.

PloxBox, just do a format and fresh install, your problem will be fixed and you won't have to listen to anymore kiddy comments from clueless people.
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:18:16 PM

geekapproved said:
Dude your clueless.

Why would you want your gpu rnning "3d clocks" while your reading your friggin email?? :hello: 

Re-installing Windows IS relevent, because it will fix the problem. If you bothered to read any of the forums dedicated to this issue, obviously reseating the card, monitoring voltage and RMA'ing the card is irrelevent. As if the thousands of people on the forum have improperly seated cards or bad cards. LMFAO

you can only laugh at some of the ignorant comments on this forum.

PloxBox, just do a format and fresh install, your problem will be fixed and you won't have to listen to anymore kiddy comments from clueless people.

After some testing, i reformatted, sadly that did not fix it. Any other ideas before I RMA it?
m
l
!