Installing Fonts

I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
*.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
failed".

How can install these fonts on my system ?

Thanks

Matt
6 answers Last reply
More about installing fonts

    Are you sure they are for windows? Sometimes they are mac fonts, i dont
    know the exact extension for those but you cant install fonts with a
    mac extension!

    Admin wrote:

    > I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
    > *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
    > Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
    > click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
    > failed".
    >
    > How can install these fonts on my system ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Matt

    Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:

    ..afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
    ..pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
    ..inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text file
    that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece of
    software or plug-in.

    Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you think
    have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back with more
    details if you need more help.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:26:47 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    wrote:

    >Admin wrote:
    >
    >> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
    >> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
    >> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
    >> click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
    >> failed".
    >>
    >> How can install these fonts on my system ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Matt
    >
    >Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
    >
    >.afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
    >.pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
    >.inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text file
    >that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece of
    >software or plug-in.
    >
    >Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you think
    >have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back with more
    >details if you need more help.
    >
    >Malke

    Here is the Readme file that accompanies these 51 rare fonts, see if
    that makes any sense

    TreePrint listing of: C:\51 Rare Fonts

    C:\51 Rare Fonts
    +---411-Mojo
    +---422-Bermuda LP
    +---425-KoloLP
    +---A_I BouwsmaScript
    +---A_I BritishWriting
    +---Ambient
    +---Bajoran
    +---Blood Feast
    +---Chank Diesel TT
    | +---CHK 26Snake Rumbatt Folder
    | +---CHK Girl77tt Folder
    | +---CHK LemonadeSpeedstertt Folder
    | +---CHK Liquidy bulboustt Folder
    | +---CHK Metolurgytt Folder
    | +---CHK MilMascarastt Folder
    | +---CHK PhreakKrustytt Folder
    | +---CHK Proletariantt Folder
    | +---CHK SooperCosmictt Folder
    | \---TheDekoSide
    +---Chank's DentalPak
    +---Cyberotica
    +---DeGenerate
    +---Demon Knight
    +---Devotion
    +---Eddie Fisher
    +---Erasure
    +---Fast Girls
    +---FF Tag Team
    +---FontHead Fonts Volume 1
    | \---FH Vol 1 jpeg previews
    +---FontHead Fonts Volume 2
    | \---FH Vol 2 jpeg previews
    +---FontHead Fonts Volume 4
    +---FrankenTOHO
    +---Gigi
    +---H-Man
    +---H-Man Part 2
    +---ITC Noovo_Nora
    +---Kröbern
    +---Love
    +---Loving The Alien
    +---Modebats
    +---Ogilvie
    +---Oogabooga
    +---Plazm
    | +---Anvil Regular (Plazm)
    | +---Belch (Plazm)
    | +---Colonist (Plazm)
    | +---Colony (Plazm)
    | +---Erosive (Plazm)
    | +---Facsimiled (Plazm)
    | +---Fly Trap (Plazm)
    | +---INKy-black (Plazm)
    | +---Kitsch (Plazm)
    | +---Milk (Plazm)
    | +---Neo Deko (Plazm)
    | +---NewHamburger (Plazm)
    | +---Petescript (Plazm)
    | +---PHat (Plazm)
    | +---Retrospecta (Plazm)
    | +---Sillbat (Plazm)
    | +---Stelefont (Plazm)
    | +---Three Rivers (Plazm)
    | +---Twiggy (Plazm)
    | +---Unzialis (Plazm)
    | \---Widows (Plazm)
    +---PS Garage Fonts
    +---RR Consort
    +---RR Erasmus
    +---RR Europa
    +---RR Hess
    +---RR Jardine
    +---RR Keyboard
    +---Sin Gothic
    +---Syzygy
    +---Temperance
    +---Trekbats
    +---Ultraworld
    +---Violation
    \---Yomama

    Malke wrote:
    > Admin wrote:
    >
    >> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
    >> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
    >> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I
    >> right click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message
    >> "install failed".
    >>
    >> How can install these fonts on my system ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Matt
    >
    > Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
    >
    > .afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
    > .pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
    > .inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text
    > file that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece
    > of software or plug-in.
    >
    > Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you
    > think have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back
    > with more details if you need more help.
    >
    > Malke

    Marion,

    Let me educate you regarding Type 1 fonts (which is what the OP is talking
    about). T1s can have four (or more) parts

    AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) file. These files hold information about Type 1
    fonts, such as character widths, kerning pairs and character bounding boxes.
    These files aren't normally used in Windows, where .pfm files take their
    place, but they are used on other operating systems and can be used to
    recreate missing .pfm files.

    PFM (PostScript Font Metrics) file. Type 1 font metrics file for Windows.
    The .pfm file contains information about the size and spacing of the font
    and needs to be accompanied by a second file that contains the shapes used
    to create each glyph, called a .pfb file. On versions of Windows earlier
    than 2000, you must have Adobe Type Manager installed to utilise these
    files.

    PFB (PostScript Font Base) file. The .pfb file contains the shapes used to
    create each glyph and needs to be accompanied by a second file that has
    information about the size and spacing of the font, usually a .pfm file.

    The .inf file (which may or may not be present) is used, along with the .pfb
    and/or the .afm files, to recreate the .pfm file should the original be lost
    or damaged.

    It is the PostScript Font Metrics (.pfm) file that is shown in the fonts
    folder and the rest is "behind the scenes" as it were. You must have at
    least the .pfm and .pfb files to have a valid font.

    Hope that clears things up for you. A little more information may be found
    in the alt.binaries.fonts FAQ located at www.abf.jamesgoffin.co.uk which has
    links to other typography-related sites.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    >> Admin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with
    >>> *.afm,
    >>> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
    >>> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I
    >>> right click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message
    >>> "install failed".
    >>>
    >>> How can install these fonts on my system ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Matt
    >>
    >> Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
    >>
    >> .afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
    >> .pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
    >> .inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text
    >> file that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece
    >> of software or plug-in.
    >>
    >> Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you
    >> think have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back
    >> with more details if you need more help.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > Marion,
    >
    > Let me educate you regarding Type 1 fonts (which is what the OP is
    > talking about). T1s can have four (or more) parts

    (snip) That's great, Sarah. Thanks for the info about fonts. However, my
    name isn't "Marion". If you want to call me by my real, given name then
    you can use "Malke". If you want to call me by my real, given English
    name then you can call me "Marian". My preference is for "Malke" since
    that's my less formal name, but whatever floats your boat, Anagramma.

    Now that we have *that* out of the way, how does the OP install the
    fonts s/he has?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:09:10 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    wrote:

    Snip
    >That was really interesting information about fonts. I wouldn't class
    >your knowledge of typography as mere dabbling! My experience with fonts
    >is install 'em, use 'em, know how to repair the Fonts Folder in Windows
    >and that's it. Hopefully, the OP will figure out how to find his/her
    >post and learn from your answers.
    >
    >Malke is Hebrew for "queen" and yes, the people of my Tribe all have at
    >least two names - one in the "outside" culture where we happen to be
    >living (an English name in my case since I am a USAian) and a Hebrew
    >name.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Malke

    Thanks everyone for the useful info.

    I already have removed all the font files that did not have the
    corresponding pfb files. This indeed was the missing link in
    installing these type1 fonts.

    Matt

Microsoft Windows XP