Installing Fonts

June 24, 2005 10:28:44 PM

I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
*.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
failed".

How can install these fonts on my system ?

Thanks

Matt

More about : installing fonts

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:28:45 PM

Are you sure they are for windows? Sometimes they are mac fonts, i dont
know the exact extension for those but you cant install fonts with a
mac extension!
June 24, 2005 10:28:45 PM

Admin wrote:

> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
> click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
> failed".
>
> How can install these fonts on my system ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:

..afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
..pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
..inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text file
that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece of
software or plug-in.

Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you think
have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back with more
details if you need more help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:26:47 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

>Admin wrote:
>
>> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
>> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
>> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I right
>> click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message "install
>> failed".
>>
>> How can install these fonts on my system ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Matt
>
>Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
>
>.afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
>.pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
>.inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text file
>that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece of
>software or plug-in.
>
>Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you think
>have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back with more
>details if you need more help.
>
>Malke

Here is the Readme file that accompanies these 51 rare fonts, see if
that makes any sense

TreePrint listing of: C:\51 Rare Fonts

C:\51 Rare Fonts
+---411-Mojo
+---422-Bermuda LP
+---425-KoloLP
+---A_I BouwsmaScript
+---A_I BritishWriting
+---Ambient
+---Bajoran
+---Blood Feast
+---Chank Diesel TT
| +---CHK 26Snake Rumbatt Folder
| +---CHK Girl77tt Folder
| +---CHK LemonadeSpeedstertt Folder
| +---CHK Liquidy bulboustt Folder
| +---CHK Metolurgytt Folder
| +---CHK MilMascarastt Folder
| +---CHK PhreakKrustytt Folder
| +---CHK Proletariantt Folder
| +---CHK SooperCosmictt Folder
| \---TheDekoSide
+---Chank's DentalPak
+---Cyberotica
+---DeGenerate
+---Demon Knight
+---Devotion
+---Eddie Fisher
+---Erasure
+---Fast Girls
+---FF Tag Team
+---FontHead Fonts Volume 1
| \---FH Vol 1 jpeg previews
+---FontHead Fonts Volume 2
| \---FH Vol 2 jpeg previews
+---FontHead Fonts Volume 4
+---FrankenTOHO
+---Gigi
+---H-Man
+---H-Man Part 2
+---ITC Noovo_Nora
+---Kröbern
+---Love
+---Loving The Alien
+---Modebats
+---Ogilvie
+---Oogabooga
+---Plazm
| +---Anvil Regular (Plazm)
| +---Belch (Plazm)
| +---Colonist (Plazm)
| +---Colony (Plazm)
| +---Erosive (Plazm)
| +---Facsimiled (Plazm)
| +---Fly Trap (Plazm)
| +---INKy-black (Plazm)
| +---Kitsch (Plazm)
| +---Milk (Plazm)
| +---Neo Deko (Plazm)
| +---NewHamburger (Plazm)
| +---Petescript (Plazm)
| +---PHat (Plazm)
| +---Retrospecta (Plazm)
| +---Sillbat (Plazm)
| +---Stelefont (Plazm)
| +---Three Rivers (Plazm)
| +---Twiggy (Plazm)
| +---Unzialis (Plazm)
| \---Widows (Plazm)
+---PS Garage Fonts
+---RR Consort
+---RR Erasmus
+---RR Europa
+---RR Hess
+---RR Jardine
+---RR Keyboard
+---Sin Gothic
+---Syzygy
+---Temperance
+---Trekbats
+---Ultraworld
+---Violation
\---Yomama
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:19:14 PM

Malke wrote:
> Admin wrote:
>
>> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with *.afm,
>> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
>> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I
>> right click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message
>> "install failed".
>>
>> How can install these fonts on my system ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Matt
>
> Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
>
> .afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
> .pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
> .inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text
> file that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece
> of software or plug-in.
>
> Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you
> think have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back
> with more details if you need more help.
>
> Malke

Marion,

Let me educate you regarding Type 1 fonts (which is what the OP is talking
about). T1s can have four (or more) parts

AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) file. These files hold information about Type 1
fonts, such as character widths, kerning pairs and character bounding boxes.
These files aren't normally used in Windows, where .pfm files take their
place, but they are used on other operating systems and can be used to
recreate missing .pfm files.

PFM (PostScript Font Metrics) file. Type 1 font metrics file for Windows.
The .pfm file contains information about the size and spacing of the font
and needs to be accompanied by a second file that contains the shapes used
to create each glyph, called a .pfb file. On versions of Windows earlier
than 2000, you must have Adobe Type Manager installed to utilise these
files.

PFB (PostScript Font Base) file. The .pfb file contains the shapes used to
create each glyph and needs to be accompanied by a second file that has
information about the size and spacing of the font, usually a .pfm file.

The .inf file (which may or may not be present) is used, along with the .pfb
and/or the .afm files, to recreate the .pfm file should the original be lost
or damaged.

It is the PostScript Font Metrics (.pfm) file that is shown in the fonts
folder and the rest is "behind the scenes" as it were. You must have at
least the .pfm and .pfb files to have a valid font.

Hope that clears things up for you. A little more information may be found
in the alt.binaries.fonts FAQ located at www.abf.jamesgoffin.co.uk which has
links to other typography-related sites.
June 25, 2005 2:19:15 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>> Admin wrote:
>>
>>> I have some folders of fonts, each fonts folder has files with
>>> *.afm,
>>> *.pfm and *.inf extensions. The Win XP Pro Fonts installer (Control
>>> Panel>Fonts) does NOT recognize these files as fonts files. If I
>>> right click the *.inf and choose install, I get the error message
>>> "install failed".
>>>
>>> How can install these fonts on my system ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Matt
>>
>> Those aren't font extensions. According to www.filext.com:
>>
>> .afm is an Abassis Finance Manager Data File
>> .pfm is a printer font metrics file for a PostScript printer
>> .inf is the well-known and loved Information or Setup file, a text
>> file that specifies the files needed for installing a specific piece
>> of software or plug-in.
>>
>> Since I don't know where you got those particular folders that you
>> think have fonts in them, that's as specific as I can be. Post back
>> with more details if you need more help.
>>
>> Malke
>
> Marion,
>
> Let me educate you regarding Type 1 fonts (which is what the OP is
> talking about). T1s can have four (or more) parts

(snip) That's great, Sarah. Thanks for the info about fonts. However, my
name isn't "Marion". If you want to call me by my real, given name then
you can use "Malke". If you want to call me by my real, given English
name then you can call me "Marian". My preference is for "Malke" since
that's my less formal name, but whatever floats your boat, Anagramma.

Now that we have *that* out of the way, how does the OP install the
fonts s/he has?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:09:49 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:09:10 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

Snip
>That was really interesting information about fonts. I wouldn't class
>your knowledge of typography as mere dabbling! My experience with fonts
>is install 'em, use 'em, know how to repair the Fonts Folder in Windows
>and that's it. Hopefully, the OP will figure out how to find his/her
>post and learn from your answers.
>
>Malke is Hebrew for "queen" and yes, the people of my Tribe all have at
>least two names - one in the "outside" culture where we happen to be
>living (an English name in my case since I am a USAian) and a Hebrew
>name.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Malke

Thanks everyone for the useful info.

I already have removed all the font files that did not have the
corresponding pfb files. This indeed was the missing link in
installing these type1 fonts.

Matt
!