How can I possibly remove Windows Messenger?

Hello
I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for XP
service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
windows clock.

Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
everything.

I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
relevant boxes.

I have also tried going into the administration tools
sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled" yet
sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
background on it! This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about possibly remove windows messenger

    To disable "Windows Messenger":

    Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
    Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

    "Run this program when Windows starts" and
    "Allow this program to run in the background", then
    click OK.

    Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
    Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
    "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
    APPLY.

    Alternative:

    Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Samantha" wrote:

    | Hello
    | I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for XP
    | service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
    | do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
    | windows clock.
    |
    | Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
    | everything.
    |
    | I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
    | relevant boxes.
    |
    | I have also tried going into the administration tools
    | sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled" yet
    | sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
    | background on it! This is so frustrating.
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Many Thanks

    See:
    http://www.computerlynx.net/remove_messenger.htm

    Tom
    "Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
    | Hello
    | I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
    XP
    | service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
    | do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
    | windows clock.
    |
    | Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
    | everything.
    |
    | I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
    | relevant boxes.
    |
    | I have also tried going into the administration tools
    | sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
    yet
    | sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
    | background on it! This is so frustrating.
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Many Thanks

    http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    works
    peterk

    the problem
    "Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
    > XP service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I
    > can do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to
    > the windows clock.
    >
    > Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
    > everything.
    >
    > I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
    > relevant boxes.
    >
    > I have also tried going into the administration tools
    > sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
    > yet sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the
    > red background on it! This is so frustrating.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many Thanks

    Hi,

    That's not windows messenger, that's MSN messenger, and that's what you need
    to uninstall in the Control Panel/Add & Remove under Windows Components.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    peterk wrote:
    > http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    > works
    > peterk

    Actually, it doesn't. It's completely irrelevant. "Shoot the
    Messenger" is a means of hiding messenger service spam, and has
    absolutely nothing to do with Windows Messenger, which is a completely
    different thing from the messenger service.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Carey, I am sorry to break into this thread, but I am unable to post a new
    question. I am signed in to Net.Passport. Does Messenger have to be installed
    to post here? I have no trouble sending the reply.
    Thanks for your advise,
    Gerry

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > To disable "Windows Messenger":
    >
    > Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
    > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:
    >
    > "Run this program when Windows starts" and
    > "Allow this program to run in the background", then
    > click OK.
    >
    > Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
    > Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
    > "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
    > APPLY.
    >

    > Alternative:
    >
    > Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Samantha" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello
    > | I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for XP
    > | service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
    > | do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
    > | windows clock.
    > |
    > | Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
    > | everything.
    > |
    > | I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
    > | relevant boxes.
    > |
    > | I have also tried going into the administration tools
    > | sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled" yet
    > | sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
    > | background on it! This is so frustrating.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions?
    > |
    > | Many Thanks

    XP AntiSpy.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/XPAntispy.shtml

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    "Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
    > XP service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I
    > can do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to
    > the windows clock.
    >
    > Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
    > everything.
    >
    > I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
    > relevant boxes.
    >
    > I have also tried going into the administration tools
    > sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
    > yet sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the
    > red background on it! This is so frustrating.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many Thanks

    No, Messenger is not needed to post here.

    Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 is akin to bear skins and stone knives.

    Do yourself a favor and setup a real newsreader.

    Outlook Express came free with XP.

    Use it.

    MICROSOFT PUBLIC NEWSGROUPS
    [[There are many valuable newsgroups on the msnews.microsoft.com server, on
    nearly every available topic and in many different languages. Clicking the
    links below will automatically create any necessary account configuration in
    Outlook Express and take you directly to the newsgroup you have selected -
    no complicated technical configurations are needed!]]
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    Using Outlook Express To View Newsgroups
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirectory%2fworldwide%2fen-gb%2fnewsout.asp

    Viewing and Posting to Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/newsgroups.asp

    Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader

    Getting News from Newsgroups
    Ignore this part ->> Access a newsgroup right from the Web.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.asp

    Set Up Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.asp

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Outlook Express newsgroups 101
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

    --