Dee

Not sure where to ask this question, but here it is? I know that when we
install IIS we get an SMTP server along with the localhost. Why does this
not work.

For instance when developing in PHP, perl, or ASP and I want to test the
application on my laptop before uploading it to a live server. I can not
test the mail process.

Do we have to add another mail server on our systems to do this? By the way
I am using Windows XP Pro, IIS 6.0.

Thanks
Dee

Hi Dee,

If you get no responses here, try:
and, I believe the version of IIS in WinXP w/SP2 is 5.1, not 6.0

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure where to ask this question, but here it is? I know that when we
> install IIS we get an SMTP server along with the localhost. Why does this
> not work.
>
> For instance when developing in PHP, perl, or ASP and I want to test the
> application on my laptop before uploading it to a live server. I can not
> test the mail process.
>
> Do we have to add another mail server on our systems to do this? By the
> way
> I am using Windows XP Pro, IIS 6.0.
>
> Thanks
> Dee

Dee,
Rick is correct, XP has IIS v5.1, IIS v6.0 is only available with Win2k3
Server. If you truly have done some type of hybrid install of IIS v6.0 on
WinXP, then this would explain why the SMTP and most likely other options
don't work - XP is not Win2k3.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure where to ask this question, but here it is? I know that when we
> install IIS we get an SMTP server along with the localhost. Why does this
> not work.
>
> For instance when developing in PHP, perl, or ASP and I want to test the
> application on my laptop before uploading it to a live server. I can not
> test the mail process.
>
> Do we have to add another mail server on our systems to do this? By the
> way
> I am using Windows XP Pro, IIS 6.0.
>
> Thanks
> Dee

Was thinking the same thing. If there were some forced installation, then
the supporting files/libraries will either not be there, or be the wrong
version.