I've seen no posts here since 9/6, and only four in total since the end of
August. I'm wondering if the newsgroup is really this quiet or if there
something wrong with my access. Are there posts I'm not seeing? :)

Thanks for any feedback
Chris

Chris Charles wrote:
> I've seen no posts here since 9/6, and only four in total since the
> end of August. I'm wondering if the newsgroup is really this quiet or
> if there something wrong with my access. Are there posts I'm not
> seeing? :)

There's nothing wrong with your access. The group has
been very quiet.

Eric.
--
Send 'subscribe' to gutsy3observers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
to watch some of the best Diplomacy players on the Judges battle

Stu

Chris Charles wrote:
> I've seen no posts here since 9/6, and only four in total since the end of
> August. I'm wondering if the newsgroup is really this quiet or if there
> something wrong with my access. Are there posts I'm not seeing? :)
>
> Thanks for any feedback
> Chris

We are in fact secretly plotting against you Chris ;). Nope seriously,
thats all the posts I have seen also.

Stu

stumegan.net/Diplomacy

Thanks.... the provider's commitment to news service is, in my view, pretty
minimal (especially in terms of how long a post stays available) and so I
had feared the worst.

This news group is mainly made up of lurkers who enjoy getting the
weekly (or so) email in their inbox about their favourite board game.

It seems like the Pouch has had trouble rounding up articles lately, too.
Maybe almost everything that can be said about Dip has already been said.
;^)

Stu

TradaPIB wrote:
> This news group is mainly made up of lurkers who enjoy getting the
> weekly (or so) email in their inbox about their favourite board game.

I think it is quiet here as everyone is playing at
stumegan.net/Diplomacy but I could be wrong ;)

Stu

Stu wrote:
> TradaPIB wrote:
> > This news group is mainly made up of lurkers who enjoy getting the
> > weekly (or so) email in their inbox about their favourite board game.
> >

> I think it is quiet here as everyone is playing at
> stumegan.net/Diplomacy but I could be wrong ;)
>
> Stu

Spammer! :)

Yes, but at least it's Dip-related spam.

"Calvyn" <rlaurie@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Stu wrote:
>> TradaPIB wrote:
>> > This news group is mainly made up of lurkers who enjoy getting the
>> > weekly (or so) email in their inbox about their favourite board game.
>> >

>> I think it is quiet here as everyone is playing at
>> stumegan.net/Diplomacy but I could be wrong ;)
>>
>> Stu
>
> Spammer! :)

Stu

David E. Cohen wrote:
> Yes, but at least it's Dip-related spam.
>
> "Calvyn" <rlaurie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Stu wrote:
>>>>
>>> I think it is quiet here as everyone is playing at
>>> stumegan.net/Diplomacy but I could be wrong ;)
>>>
>>> Stu
>> Spammer! :)

Hey I was talking to a founding member of the site :). TradaPIB ;).
Still my favorite spam is 'diplomacy flavored' though .

Stu

Scott

I am one of the co-editors and I am the sole cause for the late pouch.

I recently changed jobs and am buried in work. I plan to dig myself
out from under the pile and get it up. We will get another issue up!!

I promise it!!

Scott Webster
Co-Editor of the Pouch

"David E. Cohen" <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com> writes:

>It seems like the Pouch has had trouble rounding up articles lately, too.
>Maybe almost everything that can be said about Dip has already been said.
>;^)

I actually partly subscribe to that theory in a way that you might not
anticipate. The issue is one of context and experience. There is
actually not all that much more to be written that is aimed at teaching
relative newbies the game. There is LOTS to be written about much
harder topics aimed at intermediate to expert players. But such
articles are REALLY hard to write!!! You have to find an angle
and a manageable snippet to write about and then it has to be good.
That's actually amazingly hard. I tried to do this for awhile in
a series of articles I wrote for Diplomacy World back in the 1990's
(don't know how good they are, but I worked HARD on them).

So, I agree that the easy articles have all been written and the rest of
us are too lazy to write what's left..... ;-)

Jim-Bob

PS I put you in that category too, David, as you've written some of the
difficult articles in the past.

Jim, I am in the beginning stages of two different articles (and when I get
my hands on a copy of Maurice's Strategikon, it will very likely be
three--anyone out there have a copy to spare?), but I am involved in some
other dip-related stuff, and haven't found the time to be able to really
concentrate.

P.S. You'll be getting at least one of them.

"Jim Burgess" <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> "David E. Cohen" <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>It seems like the Pouch has had trouble rounding up articles lately, too.
>>Maybe almost everything that can be said about Dip has already been said.
>>;^)
>
> I actually partly subscribe to that theory in a way that you might not
> anticipate. The issue is one of context and experience. There is
> actually not all that much more to be written that is aimed at teaching
> relative newbies the game. There is LOTS to be written about much
> harder topics aimed at intermediate to expert players. But such
> articles are REALLY hard to write!!! You have to find an angle
> and a manageable snippet to write about and then it has to be good.
> That's actually amazingly hard. I tried to do this for awhile in
> a series of articles I wrote for Diplomacy World back in the 1990's
> (don't know how good they are, but I worked HARD on them).
>
> So, I agree that the easy articles have all been written and the rest of
> us are too lazy to write what's left..... ;-)
>
> Jim-Bob
>
> PS I put you in that category too, David, as you've written some of the
> difficult articles in the past.

Jim, I am in the beginning stages of two different articles (and when I get
my hands on a copy of Maurice's Strategikon, it will very likely be
three--anyone out there have a copy to spare?), but I am involved in some
other dip-related stuff, and haven't found the time to be able to really
concentrate.

P.S. You'll be getting at least one of them.

"Jim Burgess" <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> "David E. Cohen" <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>It seems like the Pouch has had trouble rounding up articles lately, too.
>>Maybe almost everything that can be said about Dip has already been said.
>>;^)
>
> I actually partly subscribe to that theory in a way that you might not
> anticipate. The issue is one of context and experience. There is
> actually not all that much more to be written that is aimed at teaching
> relative newbies the game. There is LOTS to be written about much
> harder topics aimed at intermediate to expert players. But such
> articles are REALLY hard to write!!! You have to find an angle
> and a manageable snippet to write about and then it has to be good.
> That's actually amazingly hard. I tried to do this for awhile in
> a series of articles I wrote for Diplomacy World back in the 1990's
> (don't know how good they are, but I worked HARD on them).
>
> So, I agree that the easy articles have all been written and the rest of
> us are too lazy to write what's left..... ;-)
>
> Jim-Bob
>
> PS I put you in that category too, David, as you've written some of the
> difficult articles in the past.

"David E. Cohen" <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com> writes:

Diplomacy World also likes articles about playtested new variants....
hint, hint. Nope, no Strategikon here, but good luck finding it.

Jim-Bob

>Jim, I am in the beginning stages of two different articles (and when I get
>my hands on a copy of Maurice's Strategikon, it will very likely be
>three--anyone out there have a copy to spare?), but I am involved in some
>other dip-related stuff, and haven't found the time to be able to really
>concentrate.

>P.S. You'll be getting at least one of them.

>"Jim Burgess" <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
>> "David E. Cohen" <david_e_cohen@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>>It seems like the Pouch has had trouble rounding up articles lately, too.
>>>Maybe almost everything that can be said about Dip has already been said.
>>>;^)
>>
>> I actually partly subscribe to that theory in a way that you might not
>> anticipate. The issue is one of context and experience. There is
>> actually not all that much more to be written that is aimed at teaching
>> relative newbies the game. There is LOTS to be written about much
>> harder topics aimed at intermediate to expert players. But such
>> articles are REALLY hard to write!!! You have to find an angle
>> and a manageable snippet to write about and then it has to be good.
>> That's actually amazingly hard. I tried to do this for awhile in
>> a series of articles I wrote for Diplomacy World back in the 1990's
>> (don't know how good they are, but I worked HARD on them).
>>
>> So, I agree that the easy articles have all been written and the rest of
>> us are too lazy to write what's left..... ;-)
>>
>> Jim-Bob
>>
>> PS I put you in that category too, David, as you've written some of the
>> difficult articles in the past.

Hint acknowledged.