Change screen resolution / user ?

Hello,

Is it possible that each user have their own default resolution and desktop
that gets applied when the log in.

I have created a second user, set the resolution to 800x600 from y default
1280x1024.

When I log out and log in as the other user, the screen resolution is
maintained. While it's not so difficult to change the resolution, it is a
real pain in the ... to reposition all the icons that you had grouped in
diffwrent areas of the screen.

I have an nVidia graphics card as well with nView. I thought the desktop
management features would work. It does automatically switch the resolution
betweeen the multiple desktops that unfortunately it has the same problem of
moving all the icons into the 800x600 region before doing the switch...

If anyone can help out with this, I would be most grateful.
Kind Regards
Grant Reid
3 answers Last reply
More about change screen resolution user

    Grant wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible that each user have their own default resolution and
    > desktop that gets applied when the log in.
    >
    > I have created a second user, set the resolution to 800x600 from y
    > default 1280x1024.
    >
    > When I log out and log in as the other user, the screen resolution is
    > maintained. While it's not so difficult to change the resolution, it
    > is a real pain in the ... to reposition all the icons that you had
    > grouped in diffwrent areas of the screen.
    >
    > I have an nVidia graphics card as well with nView. I thought the
    > desktop management features would work. It does automatically switch
    > the resolution betweeen the multiple desktops that unfortunately it
    > has the same problem of moving all the icons into the 800x600 region
    > before doing the switch...

    Go to MVP Doug Knox's site here:

    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Click on WinXP Utilities and then to the Keep User Display Settings
    v.2.0 link. This will let you do what you want.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi,

    No, that is a global setting. MVP Doug Knox has a quick change tool that you
    can use (quickres). You will find it on his site www.dougknox.com under
    WinXP Utilities.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible that each user have their own default resolution and
    > desktop
    > that gets applied when the log in.
    >
    > I have created a second user, set the resolution to 800x600 from y default
    > 1280x1024.
    >
    > When I log out and log in as the other user, the screen resolution is
    > maintained. While it's not so difficult to change the resolution, it is a
    > real pain in the ... to reposition all the icons that you had grouped in
    > diffwrent areas of the screen.
    >
    > I have an nVidia graphics card as well with nView. I thought the desktop
    > management features would work. It does automatically switch the
    > resolution
    > betweeen the multiple desktops that unfortunately it has the same problem
    > of
    > moving all the icons into the 800x600 region before doing the switch...
    >
    > If anyone can help out with this, I would be most grateful.
    > Kind Regards
    > Grant Reid

    Much appreciated... This will save me a lot of frustraation....

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > No, that is a global setting. MVP Doug Knox has a quick change tool that you
    > can use (quickres). You will find it on his site www.dougknox.com under
    > WinXP Utilities.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Is it possible that each user have their own default resolution and
    > > desktop
    > > that gets applied when the log in.
    > >
    > > I have created a second user, set the resolution to 800x600 from y default
    > > 1280x1024.
    > >
    > > When I log out and log in as the other user, the screen resolution is
    > > maintained. While it's not so difficult to change the resolution, it is a
    > > real pain in the ... to reposition all the icons that you had grouped in
    > > diffwrent areas of the screen.
    > >
    > > I have an nVidia graphics card as well with nView. I thought the desktop
    > > management features would work. It does automatically switch the
    > > resolution
    > > betweeen the multiple desktops that unfortunately it has the same problem
    > > of
    > > moving all the icons into the 800x600 region before doing the switch...
    > >
    > > If anyone can help out with this, I would be most grateful.
    > > Kind Regards
    > > Grant Reid

Screen Resolution Resolution Windows XP