Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drives & Viruses

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2004 9:07:38 PM

Gentelmen I need help!!!! I have a System with a 8knxp mother board ,a P4 3.2, 1024 mem & a WD 740 Rapture I don't know if it is a virus or what. but it boots then when it starts to load Win XP it shuts off and starts to reboot. I can get to the BIOS but not to windows.I switched Hard drives and every thing works good. If it is a virus how do I get rid of it. I have Norton Anti Virus on the system. Thank you for any help

More about : hard drives viruses

May 1, 2004 1:14:02 AM

It sounds like you paired a pre-loaded hard drive with a new board. If that's the case, you need to re-instal XP. A repair installation will usually fix it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 1, 2004 4:10:05 AM

Repair "usually" fixing it 23% of the time, re-install fixing it 100% of time. You do the math on how much time you wish to spend.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
May 1, 2004 4:58:47 AM

It's always worked for me in that situation. The only times I've been forced to do a complete new install were when the original installs were actually corrupted, and I've never had an install corrupted by changing boards.

Changing boards has always resulted in a misconfiguration issue for me, without corrupted files. Solution was re-configuration. Easy method of re-configuration was always the repair install.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 1, 2004 6:00:36 AM

dude, repair install IS a complete delete_old/copy_new files, basically it is a REINSTALL of windows, but with keeping the old configuration of programs.

May 1, 2004 6:25:05 AM

I realize that most of the files are rewritten, but not all of them. Get this, one time I had XP crash while Paint was open, and I could never get Paint to work, ever again, after that point, until I formatted the drive! I tried every method known to man to replace/overwrite Paint, but it was stubborn.

May 1, 2004 6:44:56 PM

You had X*$*P crash??? LOL, how can this be??? XP crash while using Paint??? bwahahahahaha, I thought XP was suppose to be 'more' stable in Paint than previous releases.

I think I'll skip installing XP for a little longer, caz I am still using Paint couple times a year and just can't afford windows crashing that often ;) 

May 1, 2004 9:25:21 PM

Shhhh, dude, if you start waves MS might remove Paint from Longhorn!

May 2, 2004 5:17:05 AM

oops, I hope I dindet do it.

!