Hard Drives & Viruses

Gentelmen I need help!!!! I have a System with a 8knxp mother board ,a P4 3.2, 1024 mem & a WD 740 Rapture I don't know if it is a virus or what. but it boots then when it starts to load Win XP it shuts off and starts to reboot. I can get to the BIOS but not to windows.I switched Hard drives and every thing works good. If it is a virus how do I get rid of it. I have Norton Anti Virus on the system. Thank you for any help
8 answers Last reply
More about hard drives viruses
  1. It sounds like you paired a pre-loaded hard drive with a new board. If that's the case, you need to re-instal XP. A repair installation will usually fix it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. Repair "usually" fixing it 23% of the time, re-install fixing it 100% of time. You do the math on how much time you wish to spend.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  3. It's always worked for me in that situation. The only times I've been forced to do a complete new install were when the original installs were actually corrupted, and I've never had an install corrupted by changing boards.

Changing boards has always resulted in a misconfiguration issue for me, without corrupted files. Solution was re-configuration. Easy method of re-configuration was always the repair install.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. dude, repair install IS a complete delete_old/copy_new files, basically it is a REINSTALL of windows, but with keeping the old configuration of programs.

5. I realize that most of the files are rewritten, but not all of them. Get this, one time I had XP crash while Paint was open, and I could never get Paint to work, ever again, after that point, until I formatted the drive! I tried every method known to man to replace/overwrite Paint, but it was stubborn.

6. You had X*$*P crash??? LOL, how can this be??? XP crash while using Paint??? bwahahahahaha, I thought XP was suppose to be 'more' stable in Paint than previous releases.

I think I'll skip installing XP for a little longer, caz I am still using Paint couple times a year and just can't afford windows crashing that often ;)

7. Shhhh, dude, if you start waves MS might remove Paint from Longhorn!

8. oops, I hope I dindet do it.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage