Remote Desktop from SP to 2K

I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this possible
with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop

    Win2k Pro does not support RDP except as a client. There are free third
    party tools that will enable Win2k Pro to function as a remote control
    server. eg. See:

    http://www.tightvnc.com/

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "scole" <scole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this
    possible
    > with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve

    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "scole" <scole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this
    >possible
    > with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve

    Hi,

    Not with the RD included with WinXP, but with terminal services or any of a
    large number of other programs (PCAnywhere, for exxample). The RD included
    with WinXP is only for accessing a WinXP Pro (not Home) system. The machine
    used for acessing can be a different Win version, but the system being
    accessed must be XP.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "scole" <scole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this
    >possible
    > with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve

    Rick: Please clarify. We are able to access Win2K servers and Win2K Pro
    machines without any problems using RD. Use it constantly.

    Tom

    | Not with the RD included with WinXP, but with terminal services or any of
    | large number of other programs (PCAnywhere, for exxample). The RD included
    | with WinXP is only for accessing a WinXP Pro (not Home) system. The
    machine
    | used for acessing can be a different Win version, but the system being
    | accessed must be XP.
    |
    | --
    | Best of Luck,
    |
    | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    |
    | "scole" <scole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this
    | >possible
    | > with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve

    You can access Win2k Servers provided they have Terminal Services enabled.
    Terminal Services is not available in Win2k Pro. The client software of
    course will run on anything from Win9x up.

    As far as I know the only Windows versions that can be accessed by RDP
    clients are XP Pro, NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition, Win2k Server, and
    Windows Server 2003. Can't imagine how you are accessing the Pro machines
    without third party software.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rick: Please clarify. We are able to access Win2K servers and Win2K Pro
    > machines without any problems using RD. Use it constantly.
    >
    > Tom
    > |
    > | Not with the RD included with WinXP, but with terminal services or any
    of
    > | large number of other programs (PCAnywhere, for exxample). The RD
    included
    > | with WinXP is only for accessing a WinXP Pro (not Home) system. The
    > machine
    > | used for acessing can be a different Win version, but the system being
    > | accessed must be XP.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Best of Luck,
    > |
    > | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > |
    > | "scole" <scole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | >I am using XP pro and want to Remote a Win 2K pro machine. Is this
    > | >possible
    > | > with Remote Desktop? Thanks, Steve

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP