Hi there,

Over the few games of diplomacy that I've played, I've noticed one
thing, and I apologise if it's too obvious:

1. There are some people who hardly send any press
2. These people generally don't seem to do quite as well

Sure, it could be that people who don't get off to a great start get
put off and stop sending press, but I think there's more to it.

For example, I feel much better allying with someone who is always
responsive to my press. With someone like that, you've got time to
sort out disagreements before the deadline.

Now I also know that there are a whole load of diplomacy-related
statistics out there. I wonder if there's anything on the judges that
could show if there's a link between the amount of press sent and how
well people did in that game?

Just a thought - any ideas?

Pete.

Wait a minute, are you suggesting that talking to other players in email
games helps? What a concept!

I think the correlation is more that people who dont send press tend to do
poorly as opposed to people who send a lot of press tend to do well.
Quality of press is probably more important than quantity after all, to a
point.

-Adam

"Peter Clarkson" <peter.clarkson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Over the few games of diplomacy that I've played, I've noticed one
> thing, and I apologise if it's too obvious:
>
> 1. There are some people who hardly send any press
> 2. These people generally don't seem to do quite as well
>
> Sure, it could be that people who don't get off to a great start get
> put off and stop sending press, but I think there's more to it.
>
> For example, I feel much better allying with someone who is always
> responsive to my press. With someone like that, you've got time to
> sort out disagreements before the deadline.
>
> Now I also know that there are a whole load of diplomacy-related
> statistics out there. I wonder if there's anything on the judges that
> could show if there's a link between the amount of press sent and how
> well people did in that game?
>
> Just a thought - any ideas?
>
> Pete.

Stu

adam silverman wrote:
> Wait a minute, are you suggesting that talking to other players in email
> games helps? What a concept!
>
> I think the correlation is more that people who dont send press tend to do
> poorly as opposed to people who send a lot of press tend to do well.
> Quality of press is probably more important than quantity after all, to a
> point.
>
> -Adam
>
> "Peter Clarkson" <peter.clarkson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Over the few games of diplomacy that I've played, I've noticed one
>> thing, and I apologise if it's too obvious:
>>
>> 1. There are some people who hardly send any press
>> 2. These people generally don't seem to do quite as well
>>
>> Sure, it could be that people who don't get off to a great start get
>> put off and stop sending press, but I think there's more to it.
>>
>> For example, I feel much better allying with someone who is always
>> responsive to my press. With someone like that, you've got time to
>> sort out disagreements before the deadline.
>>
>> Now I also know that there are a whole load of diplomacy-related
>> statistics out there. I wonder if there's anything on the judges that
>> could show if there's a link between the amount of press sent and how
>> well people did in that game?
>>
>> Just a thought - any ideas?
>>
>> Pete.

Wow! when did this new rule get introduced? ;) jk

adam silverman wrote:
> Wait a minute, are you suggesting that talking to other players in email
> games helps? What a concept!

Despite the irony, my recent experience tells me that there are plenty
of players out there who haven't grasped the idea.

I guess all we can do is keep on stabbing them until they get the
message ...

Alastair

Not quite the same thing, but related:
I'm engaged in a project (which due to lack of time may never be completely
finished, or at least not anytime soon) to examine the relation, if any,
between erroneous orders in nopress games (which are the only form of
'press' in that context) and outcomes.

"Chris Charles" <news1_removethis@cflames.com> writes:

>Not quite the same thing, but related:
>I'm engaged in a project (which due to lack of time may never be completely
>finished, or at least not anytime soon) to examine the relation, if any,
>between erroneous orders in nopress games (which are the only form of
>'press' in that context) and outcomes.

I think (FWIW) that your premise is wrong, Chris, so you wouldn't get
very far with this. Of course, I'm well known as Mr. anti-nopress
so feel free to ignore me. But I think there are ALL SORTS of ways to
communicate with legal orders and if I were playing nopress (and I'm not)
I wouldn't use erroneous orders at all (I'm pretty sure, though a
situation could come up where I might consider one). I think you'd
end up with some skewed results.

But some people might be interested to see.

Jim-Bob

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There is a strong positive coorelation between press frequency, press
quality, and to a lesser extent, press quantity, and success in PBeM
Dip. You can look at:
http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/comments/fullpressgames/index.html
http://www.mosscottage.plus.com/dip/gutsy/index.htm
http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/vgfp2000/thirdround/index.html
http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/vgfp2002/thirdround/index.html

if you really want to generate hard statistics.

Eric.

Jim Burgess commented that there are many legitimate ways to communicate in
nopress without using erroneous orders. That's right, of course, and one
approach takes into consideration those that are readily documentable, such
as supporting another power's units. Other forms of legitimate orders, while
also (more subtle) communication, don't seem susceptible to being separated
out as such. I'm just curious about volume, not about content.

Eric wrote:
> There is a strong positive coorelation between press frequency, press
> quality, and to a lesser extent, press quantity, and success in PBeM
> Dip. You can look at:
> http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/comments/fullpressgames/index.html
> http://www.mosscottage.plus.com/dip/gutsy/index.htm
> http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/vgfp2000/thirdround/index.html
> http://www.hagenah.de/diplomacy/vgfp2002/thirdround/index.html
>
> if you really want to generate hard statistics.
>
> Eric.
> --

Thanks very much, Eric, that makes really interesting reading.

Pete.