Product Activation and Partition copies

I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.

Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
All have Windows 98 on them.

The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.

When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my production
Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that partition and
run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my "D" and "E"
hard drives never get remapped.

My question is:

Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
before I do any partition copying)

Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?

Chris

without triggering product activation?

My answer to you is

--
Peter

"Chris Bennett" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:eo8pb1hcejjj71l2tfgt0eg2kvc8lgur1f@4ax.com...
> I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.
>
> Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
> All have Windows 98 on them.
>
> The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.
>
> When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my production
> Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that partition and
> run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my "D" and "E"
> hard drives never get remapped.
>
> My question is:
>
> Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
> product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
> before I do any partition copying)
>
> Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
> boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
> have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?
>
> Chris

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Chris Bennett wrote:

> I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.
>
> Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
> All have Windows 98 on them.
>
> The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.
>
> When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my production
> Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that partition and
> run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my "D" and "E"
> hard drives never get remapped.
>
> My question is:
>
> Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
> product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
> before I do any partition copying)
>
> Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
> boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
> have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?
>
> Chris

It appears that you are used to ignoring MS's EULA, please correct me
if I am wrong. But I won't say that is right or wrong until its brought
before a judge and a ruling ensues.

You can install XP to different partitions on the same computer however
clones may or may not work depending on your (or your boot manager's)
expertise. Product activation will be a problem if you intend to
activate multiple copies using the same XP key. MS has coded XP to
prevent you from doing what I suspect you want to do. They want you to
purchase each and every instance of their OS. Doesn't mean you can't do
it but it won't be easy and you are probably in the wrong forum to ask
for help.

John

John wrote:
> Chris Bennett wrote:
>
>> I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.
>>
>> Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
>> All have Windows 98 on them.
>>
>> The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.
>>
>> When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my
>> production Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that
>> partition and run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my
>> "D" and "E" hard drives never get remapped.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
>> product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
>> before I do any partition copying)
>>
>> Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
>> boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
>> have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?
>>
>> Chris
>>

> It appears that you are used to ignoring MS's EULA, please correct me
> if I am wrong. But I won't say that is right or wrong until its
> brought before a judge and a ruling ensues.
>
> You can install XP to different partitions on the same computer
> however clones may or may not work depending on your (or your boot
> manager's) expertise. Product activation will be a problem if you
> intend to activate multiple copies using the same XP key. MS has
> coded XP to prevent you from doing what I suspect you want to do.
> They want you to purchase each and every instance of their OS.
> Doesn't mean you can't do it but it won't be easy and you are
> probably in the wrong forum to ask for help.
>
> John

Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed on
the same hardware.

And installing the same copy of XP on the same computer is allowable by
MS, as MS even has KB articles that describe how to get it to work.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> John wrote:
> > Chris Bennett wrote:
> >
> >> I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.
> >>
> >> Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
> >> All have Windows 98 on them.
> >>
> >> The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.
> >>
> >> When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my
> >> production Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that
> >> partition and run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my
> >> "D" and "E" hard drives never get remapped.
> >>
> >> My question is:
> >>
> >> Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
> >> product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
> >> before I do any partition copying)
> >>
> >> Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
> >> boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
> >> have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>

> > It appears that you are used to ignoring MS's EULA, please correct me
> > if I am wrong. But I won't say that is right or wrong until its
> > brought before a judge and a ruling ensues.
> >
> > You can install XP to different partitions on the same computer
> > however clones may or may not work depending on your (or your boot
> > manager's) expertise. Product activation will be a problem if you
> > intend to activate multiple copies using the same XP key. MS has
> > coded XP to prevent you from doing what I suspect you want to do.
> > They want you to purchase each and every instance of their OS.
> > Doesn't mean you can't do it but it won't be easy and you are
> > probably in the wrong forum to ask for help.
> >
> > John
>
> Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed on
> the same hardware.
>
> And installing the same copy of XP on the same computer is allowable by
> MS, as MS even has KB articles that describe how to get it to work.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

XP and 98SE's EULA only allow one (1) copy of the software on one (1)
computer. Whether one agrees with the EULA, and installs multiple copies,
does not change the EULA.

Multiple hdden copies easily doable in 98SE.
Since the MAC summation won't change, don't see why a new product activation
would be triggered in another instance of XP while other instances are
hidden.

I do disagree with the OPs methods. Imaging an original install of XP,
using up-to-date imaging software, then using that restoration as the trial
use example of installing an application. The image file can always be
restored for future such examples. The 3rd instance of XP is not needed.

Don't believe PM 7 can copy an XP boot partition properly irregardless.
This I feel is implied by the OP as part of the question.

Lil' Dave wrote:

>> Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed
>> on the same hardware.
>>
>> And installing the same copy of XP on the same computer is allowable
>> by MS, as MS even has KB articles that describe how to get it to
>> work.
>>

> XP and 98SE's EULA only allow one (1) copy of the software on one (1)
> computer. Whether one agrees with the EULA, and installs multiple
> copies, does not change the EULA.

That's how YOU interpret it. Asking different people that work for MS
will get you different interpretations. In the end, it is perfectly
legal to do, unless and until MS gets a court to decide what
interpretation is right, and since MS has KB articles that explain how
to install XP twice on one computer, MS's own words can be held against
them.

> Multiple hdden copies easily doable in 98SE.
> Since the MAC summation won't change, don't see why a new product
> activation would be triggered in another instance of XP while other
> instances are hidden.
>
> I do disagree with the OPs methods. Imaging an original install of
> XP, using up-to-date imaging software, then using that restoration as
> the trial use example of installing an application. The image file
> can always be restored for future such examples. The 3rd instance of
> XP is not needed.
>
> Don't believe PM 7 can copy an XP boot partition properly
> irregardless. This I feel is implied by the OP as part of the
> question.

That is another matter. I felt the OP was more concerned about
Activation, and was just correcting John where he went too far as you
did about interpreting EULA violations.

Look at MS's Licensing claims with that of SCO's UNIX License and IBM.

Is IBM in violation of the UNIX license just because SCO claims it? If
so, then why have a court decide the matter?

--

kurttrail wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>>Chris Bennett wrote:
>>

>>>I have just bought a copy of XP Pro SP2.
>>>
>>>Currently I use Win98SE and have three "C" partitions on my machine.
>>>All have Windows 98 on them.
>>>
>>>The first partition is my production version of Win98SE.
>>>
>>>When I want to test new software (or an upgrade), I copy my
>>>production Windows into the second partition. Then I reboot to that
>>>partition and run my test. The other "C" partitions are hidden so my
>>>"D" and "E" hard drives never get remapped.
>>>
>>>My question is:
>>>
>>>Will this work OK with Windows XP Professional SP2 without triggering
>>>product activation? (I will load XP into partition 1 and activate
>>>before I do any partition copying)
>>>
>>>Can I have 3 copies of Windows XP - one in each partition. I usually
>>>boot into partition 3 to run Partition Magic Pro 7 since it does not
>>>have to boot into DOS mode to copy partition 1 to partition 2?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>

>>It appears that you are used to ignoring MS's EULA, please correct me
>>if I am wrong. But I won't say that is right or wrong until its
>>brought before a judge and a ruling ensues.
>>
>>You can install XP to different partitions on the same computer
>>however clones may or may not work depending on your (or your boot
>>manager's) expertise. Product activation will be a problem if you
>>intend to activate multiple copies using the same XP key. MS has
>>coded XP to prevent you from doing what I suspect you want to do.
>>They want you to purchase each and every instance of their OS.
>>Doesn't mean you can't do it but it won't be easy and you are
>>probably in the wrong forum to ask for help.
>>
>>John
>

> Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed on
> the same hardware.

True it *shouldn't* be, but your'e milage may vary. The op's clone idea
needs a boot loader to make the clone think its still in the same
partition for smooth sailing. New installs need activated and it sounds
like the op is the type to set everything up at the same time and not
wait 120 days between installs. That was the problem set I was trying to
point out.

> And installing the same copy of XP on the same computer is allowable by
> MS, as MS even has KB articles that describe how to get it to work.

The EULA explicitly says one copy on one computer. Of course there is a
whole bunch of untried law in that document so does anyone not in MS's
employ need to abide by it?

If you don't agree return the software to the retailer! Yea right,
return opened software that may or may not have been copied berforehand.
Or buy a new comp with XP preloaded, Im sure the first thing the new
owner does with his/her shiny new comp is read the EULA.

Its just another scam, you bought it do what you will with it, just be
aware that it isn't ME/9X easy street.

John

John wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> John wrote:

>>> It appears that you are used to ignoring MS's EULA, please correct
>>> me if I am wrong. But I won't say that is right or wrong until its
>>> brought before a judge and a ruling ensues.
>>>
>>> You can install XP to different partitions on the same computer
>>> however clones may or may not work depending on your (or your boot
>>> manager's) expertise. Product activation will be a problem if you
>>> intend to activate multiple copies using the same XP key. MS has
>>> coded XP to prevent you from doing what I suspect you want to do.
>>> They want you to purchase each and every instance of their OS.
>>> Doesn't mean you can't do it but it won't be easy and you are
>>> probably in the wrong forum to ask for help.
>>>
>>> John
>>

>> Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed
>> on the same hardware.
>
> True it *shouldn't* be, but your'e milage may vary. The op's clone
> idea needs a boot loader to make the clone think its still in the same
> partition for smooth sailing. New installs need activated and it
> sounds like the op is the type to set everything up at the same time
> and not wait 120 days between installs. That was the problem set I
> was trying to point out.

No. I sounds like he takes the same already activated image and
restores that image to the other partitions.

PLUS, even assuming you to be totally right, and the OP is installing
the OS three times, the 120 day activation server reset doesn't come
into play since it each install is on the same hardware.

No if the OP was installing 3 times on 3 different computers, THEN the
120 day rule is ineffect, but all that does is disallow internet
activation. Through Phone Activation all three installs can be
activated, if you know what you are doing.

Of course this is assuming that PA works as it is supposed to, and we
all know that it doesn't always work as it is supposed to.

>> And installing the same copy of XP on the same computer is allowable
>> by MS, as MS even has KB articles that describe how to get it to
>> work.
>
> The EULA explicitly says one copy on one computer. Of course there is
> a whole bunch of untried law in that document so does anyone not in
> MS's employ need to abide by it?
>
> If you don't agree return the software to the retailer! Yea right,
> return opened software that may or may not have been copied
> berforehand. Or buy a new comp with XP preloaded, Im sure the first
> thing the new owner does with his/her shiny new comp is read the EULA.
>
> Its just another scam, you bought it do what you will with it, just be
> aware that it isn't ME/9X easy street.

Never meant to imply that XP with PA is as easy to deal with as 9x/2K.
As you can see, PA has a whole bunch of extra-EULA policies that are not
specifically spelled out in the EULA.

PA is useless to the End User, and is only a potential pitfall.

--

kurttrail wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>>kurttrail wrote:

>>>Actually PA should be no problem at all since XP is being installed
>>>on the same hardware.
>>
>>True it *shouldn't* be, but your'e milage may vary. The op's clone
>>idea needs a boot loader to make the clone think its still in the same
>>partition for smooth sailing. New installs need activated and it
>>sounds like the op is the type to set everything up at the same time
>>and not wait 120 days between installs. That was the problem set I
>>was trying to point out.
>>

> No. I sounds like he takes the same already activated image and
> restores that image to the other partitions.
>
> PLUS, even assuming you to be totally right, and the OP is installing
> the OS three times, the 120 day activation server reset doesn't come
> into play since it each install is on the same hardware.
>
> No if the OP was installing 3 times on 3 different computers, THEN the
> 120 day rule is ineffect, but all that does is disallow internet
> activation. Through Phone Activation all three installs can be
> activated, if you know what you are doing.

Lie - that may work. But if you get the same rep that you talked to
once or twice before that day it may not.

If you put a new install on it *must* be activated within 30 days or it
stops working. It dosen't matter if you have 20 XP's already running on
that same comp. If you don't know that then you are blowing hot air -or-
have never actually installed XP.

John

John wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>> John wrote:

>>> True it *shouldn't* be, but your'e milage may vary. The op's clone
>>> idea needs a boot loader to make the clone think its still in the
>>> same partition for smooth sailing. New installs need activated and
>>> it sounds like the op is the type to set everything up at the same
>>> time and not wait 120 days between installs. That was the problem
>>> set I was trying to point out.
>>>

>> No. I sounds like he takes the same already activated image and
>> restores that image to the other partitions.
>>
>> PLUS, even assuming you to be totally right, and the OP is installing
>> the OS three times, the 120 day activation server reset doesn't come
>> into play since it each install is on the same hardware.
>>
>> No if the OP was installing 3 times on 3 different computers, THEN
>> the 120 day rule is ineffect, but all that does is disallow internet
>> activation. Through Phone Activation all three installs can be
>> activated, if you know what you are doing.
>
> Lie - that may work.

ROFL! Lie! And then you go on to say it may work!

If I said that it would work under any circumstances, that would be a
lie, however I qualified my statement with, "if you know what you are
doing."

Lie! Thanks for the laugh!

> But if you get the same rep that you talked to
> once or twice before that day it may not.

Lie! LOL! And what does that have to do with anything. I can get my
computer in at least three different configurations. I have every right
to do so, install XP on those three different configurations, and
activate them all. And do this all in one day! It doesn't matter if
the same PA phone rep gets the final two calls.

The first activation goes through on the internet. The second gets
kicked to a phone rep, and I tell him I upgraded my computer. The third
gets kicked back to the same phone rep, and I tell him that my computer
was functioning well with all the upgraded hardware, so I put back some
of the old hardware.

All three installs on three different computers get activated on the
same day, phoning the same PA phone rep for the final two activations.

> If you put a new install on it *must* be activated within 30 days or
> it stops working.

LOL! Obviously you never heard of a crack. But even without using a
crack, I can activate three installs with the same copy of XP on three
different computers any day of the week.

> It dosen't matter if you have 20 XP's already
> running on that same comp. If you don't know that then you are
> blowing hot air -or- have never actually installed XP.

Dude, you are insane. If you use a disk image of an activate OS, and
restore that image on another partition on the same computer, which is
what the OP is talking about, you shouldn't have to activate that image
again. And I know, I've done just that! Although I don't use three
partitions on my computer, I only use two.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

The EULA does not state anywhere that you can not make multiple installs of
XP on the same PC using the same license. What the EULA actually says is
"Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one
copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or
other device ("Workstation Computer")."...
At first this seems to be completely clear, no multiple installs. If you
read it literally then it would also mean no reinstalls either so every time
you trash Windows you must buy a new copy. We all know that is not what
Microsoft actually means. To my knowledge Microsoft have never issued any
document that specifically forbid this type of multiple install and
realistically probably couldn't care less about an issue that only affects a
minority of hobbyists.
A final note for Chris, remember to edit you Boot.ini file for the cloned
installations for it to work.

M wrote:
> The EULA does not state anywhere that you can not make multiple
> installs of XP on the same PC using the same license. What the EULA
> actually says is "Installation and use. You may install, use,
> access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer,
> such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation
> Computer")."... At first this seems to be completely clear, no
> multiple installs. If
> you read it literally then it would also mean no reinstalls either so
> every time you trash Windows you must buy a new copy. We all know
> that is not what Microsoft actually means. To my knowledge Microsoft
> have never issued any document that specifically forbid this type of
> multiple install and realistically probably couldn't care less about
> an issue that only affects a minority of hobbyists.

Actually, I believe that they do care. PA is more behavior modification
than copy-protection. When Windows 3.1 first introduced the one copy
one machine rule, nobody believe MS meant that to apply to private
individuals, just commerial use. It is my opinion that MS wrote the
EULA in this manner as they will one day try to convince everyone that
they need a new copy each time they reinstall. The argument will be,
it's been written in the EULA since forever, and you agreed to it, and
if you don't like it you should have returned it. And they'll use PA to
get people to believe it.

Gee, that sounds awfully familar! I wonder why? ;-)

M wrote:
> The EULA does not state anywhere that you can not make multiple installs of
> XP on the same PC using the same license. What the EULA actually says is
> "Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one
> copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or

One copy on a single comp. - what I said.

John wrote:
|| M wrote:
||| The EULA does not state anywhere that you can not make multiple
||| installs of XP on the same PC using the same license. What the
||| EULA actually says is "Installation and use. You may install, use,
||| access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single
||| computer, such as a workstation, terminal or
|| One copy on a single comp. - what I said.

No, it says more than that. Keep reading M's post.