Constantly scrolling when in safe mode

stocon

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hi my daughter's compaq laptop celeron gives off continuous short beeps when it tries to unsuccessfully load windows 7. When I go into safe mode it continuously scrolls through all the options non stop. Tried recovery boot disc got continuous short beeps. There is no pattern when I hold the on/off button it goes to one continuous beep as it powers down. Her keyboard is unresponsive but a USB keyboard is responsive. I managed to run a memory test and it was ok. I am willing to bet I'm screwed here. Any thoughts.
Tia Steve

Solution

I would start with pulling ac power and the battery and then pull the keyboard and mouse. they just unclip. (i see where bad key or bad tuchpad can lock up a system. with both of them unplugged .(small clip lift...

I would start with pulling ac power and the battery and then pull the keyboard and mouse. they just unclip. (i see where bad key or bad tuchpad can lock up a system. with both of them unplugged .(small clip lift up on both sides to remove the cables.
flip the laptop over and reseat the ram on the bottom..over time the ram can walk. with the keyboard unplugged and you using an ext keyboard see if the errors still there. if there gone...just need a new keyboard and mouse. (ebay sells cheap copies of laptop keyboards and mice.). if the issue still there try booting off a hirum boot cd and run anti virus scan.

Solution

stocon

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Are the keyboard and mouse(touchpad} one piece with two cables? When u say pull ac power are you saying just disconnect from a power source or is there a power component inside the laptop to disconnect. I know second question could be pretty silly.
Tia Steve

laptops will power there mb even in standby mode for you not to short the mb out you should pull the battery and the ac brick from the unit before you pull the keyboard. the keyboard should be held in by a few screws and two data cables. when you remove the keyboard screws flip the laptop over and hold onto the keyboard it should fall out on it own. under the keyboard will be two short clear white data cables. they be held in with clips. the clips do not come out. just lift them up with a small jewelrer eyeglass flat screw driver.

stocon

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
smorizio I took out 3 screws in the battery area and the top of the keyboard is loose but the bottom feels like it is still screwed in . Is it just clipped in and will snap out or am i missing some screws. Do I need to take the drive out? Would the screw be below it? Or behind wii fii card?
Tia alot Steve

stocon

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Scratch that last reply. i got the board off and now doing a system repair with the usb MB. Looks like a bad Mb. Thx i'm sure I'm gonna have maybe a few more questions. Thx Alot