  • Backup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 25, 2005 1:37:46 AM

I have no backup utility at Start, All programs, Accesories, System Tools

How can I get access to the backup?

Thanks

Jorge E

More about : access backup utility

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:50:13 AM

Jorge E. Jaramillo wrote:
> I have no backup utility at Start, All programs, Accesories, System Tools
> How can I get access to the backup?

You need to install it.
Use add and remove programs and have your XP disk handy
-max
June 25, 2005 2:57:52 AM

I rad the article and I read the readme file that is in the folder that the
articles pinted me to.

It says that:

1. ASR (i don't know if this is just the Spanish name for the application)
is not compatible with Win XP home edition

1. ASR no es compatible en Home Edition.

Si instala NtBackup desde el CD en Home Edition, parecerá que ASR funciona
correctamente durante la sesión de copia de seguridad. Como el programa de
instalación no acepta ASR en Home Edition, no hay ninguna forma de iniciar
la restauración ASR en caso de que se produzca un desastre. Si necesita
restaurar en esta sesión, instale manualmente Windows XP y restaure después
desde el medio ASR.

2. then it mentions something aboput not being ablñe to copy to RW Cd's,
that you should first copy to a file less than 650 Mb and then copy the file
to the Cd

Could you please tell em what this is about? I am guessing the ASR is the
recovery console but I might be wrong though

Thanks in advance

JeJ
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Jorge E. Jaramillo wrote:
>> I have no backup utility at Start, All programs, Accesories, System
>> Tools
>> How can I get access to the backup?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

June 26, 2005 12:49:22 AM

ASR is "Automated System Recovery". This is a feature of NTBackup that
you really don't want to use anyway. It will work only w/ XP Pro, but not
w/ XP Home, hence the note in ReadMe. Basically, ASR allows you to make a
FULL BACKUP of the XP installation, plus a special floppy disk. In the
event of total failure you could boot from the floppy and perform a full
restore. It sounds like a good idea, but it has many limitations, hence
the "you don't really want it anyway" comment. The best way to do this
sort of thing is w/ a Disk Imaging utility, like Ghost or True Image.

The other item README mentioned is that it will not backup to CD's. What
you would need to do is perform a two-step process. 1) Backup to a file on
your HD, then 2) write that file to a CD. Make sure the file does not get
larger than about 600 MB, or it won't fit on a CD. This means you
probably have to carefully perform a series of backups, with each
resulting in a file no larger than 600 MB. There are good backup programs
out there that can do this much better than NTBackup; Retrospect and
Veritas are two. Google for a better backup util. Most are pretty cheap.
June 26, 2005 5:04:07 AM

frodo@theshire.org wrote:
> ASR is "Automated System Recovery". This is a feature of NTBackup that
> you really don't want to use anyway. It will work only w/ XP Pro, but not
> w/ XP Home, hence the note in ReadMe. Basically, ASR allows you to make a
> FULL BACKUP of the XP installation, plus a special floppy disk. In the
> event of total failure you could boot from the floppy and perform a full
> restore. It sounds like a good idea, but it has many limitations, hence
> the "you don't really want it anyway" comment. The best way to do this
> sort of thing is w/ a Disk Imaging utility, like Ghost or True Image.
>
> The other item README mentioned is that it will not backup to CD's. What
> you would need to do is perform a two-step process. 1) Backup to a file on
> your HD, then 2) write that file to a CD. Make sure the file does not get
> larger than about 600 MB, or it won't fit on a CD. This means you
> probably have to carefully perform a series of backups, with each
> resulting in a file no larger than 600 MB. There are good backup programs
> out there that can do this much better than NTBackup; Retrospect and
> Veritas are two. Google for a better backup util. Most are pretty cheap.

Actually with ASR you don't boot from the floppy. Boot the computer
with the windows installation CD and it offers the choice of a recovery
with ASR. Sometime after that the floppy is requested.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User