Device Manager Error Code 42

Lanik

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
I just got two new Maxtor 80gb SATA hard drives, and was installing them on my system:
Motherboard:MSI 865PE Neo2-LS
Processor:Intel 2.4C Ghz
Memory: Corsair 256MBx2
Video:MSI GFFX 5600
CDROM:MSI CR52-M

The system was previously running one 20gb IDE Western Digital Hard drive with no problems.

Now, when I hook up both drives to my system, the BIOS will recognize them, but windows will only
see one, and gives the following error in the Device properties:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device
already running in the system. (Code 42)

When I remove one drive at a time and this error goes away. It does not matter which one is hooked up.

Anyone have a problem like this before? It seems kind of ridiculous you can't have two of the same model hard drive in a system.

EDIT: OK, so, after many calls, I found out that the problem was that the drive manufacturer had the same serial number on both drives (even though they had different numbers printed on the drives themselves) so windows didnt like them. I ended up having to drive to the supplier and have them change it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lanik on 05/06/04 05:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Error code 42 is a configuration error, I believe. Soo, have you correctly set the jumpers on the HD's? One to master and the other to slave.

Also watch your IDE cable hook up. The connector on the very end (black, I believe) is for the master, the coneector in the middle of the cable (gray, I believe) is for slave.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE