Is Javascript Enabled already?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
--
Thanks for taking the time.

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

Microsoft had to stop including java, by court order. It seems
they got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. So, you won't
find it in XP, or XP with SP1, or XP with SP2. You'll have to go
here, click on download java.

http://www.java.com/en/

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
| question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
| trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells
me
| that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
| Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and
all
| are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
| javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
| --
| Thanks for taking the time.

Javascript is not the same as Java. They are two different things.

Javascript is included and enabled (by default) on Windows XP installations
(regardless of SP level).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Marko" <marcopolo@2northpole.net> wrote in message
> Microsoft had to stop including java, by court order. It seems
> they got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. So, you won't
> find it in XP, or XP with SP1, or XP with SP2. You'll have to go
> here, click on download java.
>
> http://www.java.com/en/
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> | question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I
> was
> | trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells
> me
> | that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> | Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and
> all
> | are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> | javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
> | --
> | Thanks for taking the time.

JS

Larry wrote:
> Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
> trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
> that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
> are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?

The setting that controls Javascript is listed as "Active scripting" in
IE's zone security settings (click the Custom Level... button on the
security tab).

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Active scripting is shown as "enabled" under the security settings. The
website I was trying to look at is: www.kiehls.com For whatever reason, I
am unable to view it from either my desktop or laptop computers. When I
click on the site, I get this message: " You need to have JavaScript enabled
in order to browse this website." I think it's a skin care products site.

"JS" wrote:

> Larry wrote:
> > Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> > question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
> > trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
> > that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> > Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
> > are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> > javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
>
> The setting that controls Javascript is listed as "Active scripting" in
> IE's zone security settings (click the Custom Level... button on the
> security tab).

JS

Larry wrote:
> Active scripting is shown as "enabled" under the security settings. The
> website I was trying to look at is: www.kiehls.com For whatever reason, I
> am unable to view it from either my desktop or laptop computers. When I
> click on the site, I get this message: " You need to have JavaScript enabled
> in order to browse this website." I think it's a skin care products site.

Weird. The site works fine here. I tried disabling Javascript and the
site was still perfectly useable. The only things that stopped working
were the rollover effects for the navigation bar links and the search tool.

I also banged my security to max, and I still couldn't reproduce your error.

I'm stumped. Perhaps you have a problem with IE. Is it fully up to date?

(Kiehl's sells hair and skin products in New York's East Village.)

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

JS, as far as I know through windows automatic updates, etc. I am running
the most recent version of IE. However, I found a way into the Kiehls site
through another site that came up under google. All my settings are where
they're supposed to be. I have already downloaded and installed windows
updates SP1 and SP2 and I am running IE6. If there's something I am missing,
maybe you know what that might be. Either way, thank you for helping.

Larry