  • Javascript
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 25, 2005 2:31:01 AM

Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
--
Thanks for taking the time.

More about : javascript enabled

June 25, 2005 1:23:12 PM

Microsoft had to stop including java, by court order. It seems
they got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. So, you won't
find it in XP, or XP with SP1, or XP with SP2. You'll have to go
here, click on download java.

http://www.java.com/en/

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
| question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
| trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells
me
| that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
| Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and
all
| are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
| javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
| --
| Thanks for taking the time.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:55:41 PM

Javascript is not the same as Java. They are two different things.

Javascript is included and enabled (by default) on Windows XP installations
(regardless of SP level).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Marko" <marcopolo@2northpole.net> wrote in message
news:o aMAwIaeFHA.1612@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft had to stop including java, by court order. It seems
> they got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. So, you won't
> find it in XP, or XP with SP1, or XP with SP2. You'll have to go
> here, click on download java.
>
> http://www.java.com/en/
>

> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> | question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I
> was
> | trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells
> me
> | that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> | Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and
> all
> | are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> | javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
> | --
> | Thanks for taking the time.

June 25, 2005 11:54:38 PM

Larry wrote:
> Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
> trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
> that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
> are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?

The setting that controls Javascript is listed as "Active scripting" in
IE's zone security settings (click the Custom Level... button on the
security tab).
June 26, 2005 3:41:01 PM

Active scripting is shown as "enabled" under the security settings. The
website I was trying to look at is: www.kiehls.com For whatever reason, I
am unable to view it from either my desktop or laptop computers. When I
click on the site, I get this message: " You need to have JavaScript enabled
in order to browse this website." I think it's a skin care products site.

"JS" wrote:

> Larry wrote:
> > Hello, I am not sure if this is the appropriate discussion area for my
> > question. If not, please direct me to the appropriate one. Anyway, I was
> > trying to view a particular website, but when I navigate to it, it tells me
> > that I need, "javascript enabled to view the site." As far as I know
> > Javascript is already enabled on each computer. All are running XP and all
> > are updated w/ both SP1 and SP2. I went to about.com to test if I had
> > javascript enabled and it said I did. How can I really make sure?
>
> The setting that controls Javascript is listed as "Active scripting" in
> IE's zone security settings (click the Custom Level... button on the
> security tab).

June 27, 2005 1:32:03 AM

Larry wrote:
> Active scripting is shown as "enabled" under the security settings. The
> website I was trying to look at is: www.kiehls.com For whatever reason, I
> am unable to view it from either my desktop or laptop computers. When I
> click on the site, I get this message: " You need to have JavaScript enabled
> in order to browse this website." I think it's a skin care products site.

Weird. The site works fine here. I tried disabling Javascript and the
site was still perfectly useable. The only things that stopped working
were the rollover effects for the navigation bar links and the search tool.

I also banged my security to max, and I still couldn't reproduce your error.

I'm stumped. Perhaps you have a problem with IE. Is it fully up to date?

(Kiehl's sells hair and skin products in New York's East Village.)
June 28, 2005 12:24:02 AM

JS, as far as I know through windows automatic updates, etc. I am running
the most recent version of IE. However, I found a way into the Kiehls site
through another site that came up under google. All my settings are where
they're supposed to be. I have already downloaded and installed windows
updates SP1 and SP2 and I am running IE6. If there's something I am missing,
maybe you know what that might be. Either way, thank you for helping.

Larry

!