Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Storage PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Storage
May 3, 2004 11:20:53 PM

Would anyone be able to please answer a couple of questions for me?

How much data can be stored on a hard drive type 13 having 755 tracks, 5 heads and 15 sectors per track.

AND

What are the two storage methods used in storing data on a hard drive?

More about : hard drive storage

May 9, 2004 7:55:21 PM

it mostly depends on the size of the heads, trucks and the sectors, and HD manufacturer of coze.

magnetic, electromagnetic, magnetoelectric and of coze - permanent marker for longer term of storage.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
May 9, 2004 11:14:01 PM

Actually CHS values can be used to determine drive size, this used to be ONLY way to do it. Especially in the old days before drives were auto-detected, you'd enter the CHS values manually in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 9, 2004 11:57:59 PM

if you would only explain what CHS values is, maybe then I would understand your highly evolved speech.

May 10, 2004 1:06:24 AM

No, not highly evolved, but old school. Cylinders, Heads, Sectors. For example, I have a drive here that's marked 3148 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors, and if I entered that into BIOS it would report 1624MB. Now, if you multiply the CHS values, you get a weird number, but if you multiply that by 512 you get 1624MB...so does that mean their's 512 bytes per sector? And if so, are all drives 512 bytes per sector? How else would BIOS be able to calculate the size from the CHS values! I don't know!

But I do know it works. BIOS can determine drive size strictly by using CHS values!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 10, 2004 1:08:18 AM

28MB?

May 10, 2004 2:16:35 AM

what is the smallest value the drive can be formatted with?

May 10, 2004 3:49:26 AM

I don't know, but the smallest hard drive I've ever owned was 43MB, it came in a 286.

May 10, 2004 4:06:48 AM

wooot? you don't know something? that is weird, really weird..

May 10, 2004 8:47:50 PM

I never really looked into it. I saw that entering CHS values on those old systems worked, so I left it at that!

May 10, 2004 11:41:43 PM

that school is way too old, you need to find some other way to let the bios know what harddrive you are using ;) 

May 11, 2004 12:13:25 AM

You mean like, automatic detection of CHS values? Hmm, you'd think they would have implemented that by now :tongue:

May 11, 2004 5:50:19 AM

My first HD was 20MB. It was a bit over 19 when formatted. SCSI too!

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate
May 11, 2004 6:13:11 AM

My smallest SCSI hard drive was 50MB, you lucky bastard!

!