Computer gets colored lines on top of screen computer will not boot windows 7

dellarij

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,

First off, my computer recently had its motherboard/video card replaced. It is a dell xps l501x. The issues with the colored lines began before the mother board was replaced. Thus, I do not believe a faulty motherboard is the problem.

These lines are thin and occur on the top centimeter of the screen. They are made up of many colors and sort of look like squiggles going horizontally across the page.

Also my computer will not sleep properly. When the computer is put to sleep the screen will go black, but the fan will continue to run and led backlit keyboard will remain on. They begin immediately after the dell logo comes on. I also get 5 bluegreen dots appear in the top left hand corner of the screen.

The lines do not always appear, its is sort of hit or miss with my computer.

I have performed a system restore and and wiped the hard drive. This did not remedy either of the situations.

I am not sure how to proceed as it cannot be the motherboard or hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

cl-scott

Honorable
I would say it sounds very much like a motherboard issue. I worked as a repair tech for about three years, and I can tell you that this sort of thing does happen. It's pretty uncommon with a place that takes the repair side of things seriously like Dell does, but it does happen.

To be more specific, I would say your symptoms sound like they could be good candidates for the bad caps issue: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

dellarij

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

The issues happend before i had a motherboard/video card change, and the issues continued after a brand new mother board was put in.

cacus

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have the same problem since i updated Windows 7 with SP1.
the only solution i found was pressing 3 random keys repeatedly until the colors are gone.... sounds crazy but believe me, it works.

Good luck!

If you press in the corner that gives you the dots and lines, does the issue get worse?

What if you move the LCD screen back and forth?

With you just having the motherboard/video card replaced, it really sounds like you may be dealing with a faulty LCD. Also, hook up an external monitor to the computer. Does the issue occur in the external monitor?