Backup for itunes

I previously posted a question about itunes backup. I have solved the problem
but created another one. I backed up all my music from itunes to a maxtor
external drive before doing a clean install. The music is still on the ext.
hd and when i drag and drop the files into my music file on the computer they
play fine. when i turn the computer off and try to play the same song again
in itunes it tells me that it is not there and asks me if i would like to
find it. when i click yes it takes me to my music. all of these songs played
perfectly well before i backed them up and there are several thousand of them
so it would be quite a job to rerecord them into itunes. any suggestions?

http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2005/06/how_to_back_up_your.php

regards,
ssg MS-MVP