Mass Storage Devices and USB issues?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo and an internal Mitsumi 7-in-1 Flash Media/Floppy Drive. It has seperate connections for the floppy (floppy cable) and the USB digital media drive (internal USB cable that hooks up directly to the mobo). Now the Floppy part of the drive shows up normally, it's the USB media drive (which shows up as two seperate drives - 1 flashcard drive and 1 SM/MMC/SD drive) that has issues. During POST, it's luck of the draw, it seems, if my mobo detects the digital media drive correctly. It'll say it sees 3 USB devices: 1 mouse, 2 mass storage devices. Then it goes down through all the components and when it tries to decipher exactly what those 2 mass storage devices are, it either does it flawlessly, or it just hangs for about 20 seconds, gives up, and moves on into windows where the drives don't show up. So to sum all that up, sometimes my USB digital media drive (as the two drives) shows up and sometimes it doesn't. So what's up with that? Is there a problem with my mobo or my floppy/media drive? Come to think of it, I didn't have these issues when I only had an IDE harddrive on my system. I started having problems when I installed my new SATA harddrive. Is there a known SATA/USB conflict issue?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know what's causing your problem, but I had a media reader on my P4C800-E, and it worked fine. In fact I played around in BIOS and made it a bootable drive, with the MMC drive configured as Drive A. And then I made an old MMC card bootable using sys.exe, then copied in the 98SE boot files and had a MMC "boot floppy" working perfectly. Asus offers the same options on the P4P800 I believe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
now that I think about it. I hooked up an external HDD via USB 2.0 and it didn't show up all the time either. I had a USB SD card reader once and it didn't show up all the time as well. I've had two P4P800 Deluxe's and both had the same USB issue. Then again, I had an Abit IC7-G and it didn't like USB mass storage devices either. Am I missing something in the BIOS to properly configure these things?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, my P4C800-E would default the USB ports to slow speed in one BIOS setting, I had to manually set it to high speed, you probably have the same setting somewhere.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I set it to emulate all the time as a hard drive, so we'll see what happens with that.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by krazynutz on 05/05/04 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>