Complexity?

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

worried about micromanagement??? YOU'RE PLAYING THE MOST COMPLEX GAME KNOWN
TO MAN!!! I say the more we can increase micromanagement the better... and
we should add about 12 more resouces along with having to micromanage the
cities themselves (in a Sim City sort of way) and more food types... we
should have a resource for each food group, and make sure everyone eats a
balanced diet in your empire! (decrease eff for obesity) Taxes should be
managed, along with city services and residential/commercial zoning
ratios.. We should set Mayor salaries, create massive totems of morale
proclaiming the mighty power of the GNUb. I say, if you can fit all of a
sector's stats on to one page WE NEED MORE VARIABLES! Citizen happiness
should really make a difference, make it matter from the start.. .too
little happiness = REVOLT & DETHRONEMENT! (cities then either defect, turn
neutral, or riot and march into other sectors stirring up trouble there...

RAWR!! I AM GNUb! HEAR MY SENSLESS BABBLE!!!

-GNUb

(says the fodder who barely has a grasp on resource management as it is)

"GNUb" <KingZemus@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> worried about micromanagement??? YOU'RE PLAYING THE MOST COMPLEX GAME KNOWN
> TO MAN!!! I say the more we can increase micromanagement the better... and
> we should add about 12 more resouces along with having to micromanage the
> cities themselves (in a Sim City sort of way) and more food types... we
> should have a resource for each food group, and make sure everyone eats a
> balanced diet in your empire! (decrease eff for obesity) Taxes should be
> managed, along with city services and residential/commercial zoning
> ratios.. We should set Mayor salaries, create massive totems of morale
> proclaiming the mighty power of the GNUb. I say, if you can fit all of a
> sector's stats on to one page WE NEED MORE VARIABLES! Citizen happiness
> should really make a difference, make it matter from the start.. .too
> little happiness = REVOLT & DETHRONEMENT! (cities then either defect, turn
> neutral, or riot and march into other sectors stirring up trouble there...
>
> RAWR!! I AM GNUb! HEAR MY SENSLESS BABBLE!!!
>
> -GNUb

Don't tell that to Geoff. His kneejerk reaction is that if it somehow even
remotely affects gameplay, it's a bad idea.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

In article <b8ooc.6905$KE6.5998@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
carbo_jim <carbo_jim@friendly.net> wrote:

>Don't tell that to Geoff. His kneejerk reaction is that if it somehow even
>remotely affects gameplay, it's a bad idea.

Oh please. A look at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24031&atid=380348
will prove that assertion blatantly wrong. Just look at all the changes I
have suggested.

From 1992 to 1996 Empire went through a period of rapid development in the
server code. Many good things came from this period. However, a LOT of bad
things came as well. By 1996, the server code was teetering on the brink
of collapse from all the problems and bugs it suffered. A review of
http://www.wolfpackempire.com/infopages/Empire4.html will show just how
many bugs had to be fixed. Wolfpack was established in large part to
save the code from the doom it was facing. Now, the Empire server code is
quite stable. Getting it there required immense work.

Empire is a fascinating game. There are many, many ways in which a game
can progress and every game is different from the last. This sort of
environment encourages people to imagine new facets for the game. Thus,
we receive a lot of suggestions on how to 'improve' the server code.

As with most complex systems, changing even a small facet of the game
can have large, unintended consequences. One example; in Ice World IV,
the deity limited the amount of time a country could be logged in and
the number of logins it could make per day. The idea was to reduce the
amount of time that a nation would need to play, and reduce the benefit
that nations received from having one or more co-rulers. The opposite
happened. Enterprising co-ruled nations worked with data dumps from the
game while not logged into the game and created elaborate script files
that took more time to complete than the actual work they were intended
to do would have taken without the limitations. Thus, the unintended
consequence was exactly opposite to what was hoped for.

I am not averse to change. In fact, quite the opposite. I *am* averse
to taking the server code back to the 1992-1996 era. Far, far too much
effort was put into the server to allow it to degenerate into the
hell it was in at that time. Thus, I want changes discussed, tested,
and trialed before they become a stock part of the code.

If I have a kneejerk reaction, it is to people who seem to think
Wolfpack is a monolithic entity unwilling to listen to mere players.
In the beginning, Wolfpack had to remain anonymous in order to
prosper. That is not the case now, and Wolfpack is now more open
than ever before, and our process is more transparent than ever
before.

As always, if you don't like what Wolfpack is doing, you are very
welcome to start your own project. The GNU public license that Empire
exists under allows you to do that. You are free to take the server
code as it exists now, or any other previous version, and make all
the changes you want. Nothing's stopping you. Go for it!

-Geoff
aka Mithrilien