Inspiron Memory Problems?

zylaxice

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
I just bought a new Inspiron e1505, and it was fine for two weeks, now I've had some serious problems. At first, it was freezing, not usable for more than 10 minutes or so until it went to a blue screen which read:
***Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
***The System Has Halted***

Now, I cannot even boot into windows, after it POSTS, sometimes it gets just far enough to show that blue screen, sometimes it just stays black forever. I tried to talk to Dell about it, and after the always frustrating experience of actually talking to someone, they had me run their Dell Diagnostic program, then told me that they couldn't do anything because the computer passed all the tests. I have been hearing people suggest that this is a RAM problem, but I got no errors when running memtest 6+ times. I have two sticks of RAM, but regardless of the configuration of one or both being slotted, the problem occurs. What else could it be, or how can I come closer to a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Zylaxice

G

I am having the same problems now too and getting nowhere with Dell Support. The installed an earlier version of the ATI driver but it only impacts 1 of 5 start ups. Additionally, I passed all diagnostics too. It boots okay now with no parity error but resolution sucks and no way to change. I also get errow that says only Adminstrator can change Catalyst Control Center Settings

Check the ATI advanced settings. There is usually a cap for the max resolution. It overrides the windows resolution.

Check your user account in the control panel to make sure your account has administrator rights.