IDE & SATA Drives - Performance?

skubik

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
I am in the process of building a new system with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe board, which has both SATA and IDE connectivity. I'm looking to use 1 Hard Drive to be used strictly as an 'OS & Apps' drive, and another strictly as a 'Data' drive.

I'm curious as to whether there may be any performance difference having one of those drives as an IDE drive, and the other as a SATA drive. Or would I get better performance leaving them bother either as IDE or both as SATA?

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks,

- skubik.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you do not want to save yeself trouble playing with SATA drivers and longer boot time, get SATA, if you wish to avoid all that, use IDE, they perform the same.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
It won't really matter whether you use only SATA or only IDE or both.

The current IDE standard is responsive enough, and hard drives are slow enough, where two drives don't really saturate the channel.

I am all SATA just because I like it. I have been waiting for this to arrive for a long time, and want to support it.

As far as taking longer to boot?

I believe the A7N8X has a RAID mode and a IDE mode of operation for the SATA controller. (I just tried to download the Asus manual to make sure, but it failed to complete. So I am just doing this from memory so I may be off, bit I think it is correct.) In RAID mode, yes there is a BIOS delay where the drives are scanned. In the IDE mode the delay is reduced.