    and your motherboard probably has an APIC controller
    that raises IRQ mapping to #23. I'm a little out of touch
    with the newer boards, but on previous MBs Slots #2 &
    #5 have independent IRQ mappings.
    Are you continuing to use the motherboard based USB
    channels or just using your new USB2.0 ? You may want
    to disable the motherboard USB channels (Via BIOS).

    In article <42bd3836$0$41891$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    news@spinningweb.not.net, F says...

    > Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus
    > AV266-E motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups.
    > Sometimes when booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times
    > when opening a folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card
    > reader.
    >
    > Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
    > 2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

    Is it seated right??

    I use a Promise combo card (USB2 and Firewire). Allow me to state that it
    works MUCH better with the Promise drivers as compared to the operating
    system drivers. Why don't you install the dedicated manufacturers drivers
    for your add-in card?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    F wrote:

    > Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus
    > AV266-E motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups.
    > Sometimes when booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times
    > when opening a folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card
    > reader.
    >
    > Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
    > 2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

    Try a different slot, especially if you put it in the slot next to the
    AGP slot.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    On 25/06/2005 12:09 R. McCarty wrote:

    > You may want to disable the motherboard USB channels (Via BIOS).

    I disabled both entries in the Asus A7V266-E bios and the problem seems
    to have been solved (although I might regret typing that!).

    Thanks to you (and others) for the help/suggestions.

PCI USB Microsoft Windows XP