USB 2 PCI board problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus
AV266-E motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups.
Sometimes when booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times
when opening a folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card
reader.

Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

Which PCI slot did you install the card into ? Numbering
schemes vary but usually PCI Slot #1 is designated as the
one adjacent to the AGP slot. XP can handle IRQ sharing
and your motherboard probably has an APIC controller
that raises IRQ mapping to #23. I'm a little out of touch
with the newer boards, but on previous MBs Slots #2 &
#5 have independent IRQ mappings.
Are you continuing to use the motherboard based USB
channels or just using your new USB2.0 ? You may want
to disable the motherboard USB channels (Via BIOS).

"F" <news@spinningweb.not.net> wrote in message
> Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus AV266-E
> motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups. Sometimes when
> booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times when opening a
> folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card reader.
>
> Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
> 2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

> (Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

bytor

In article <42bd3836$0$41891$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
news@spinningweb.not.net, F says...

> Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus
> AV266-E motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups.
> Sometimes when booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times
> when opening a folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card
> reader.
>
> Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
> 2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

Is it seated right??

I use a Promise combo card (USB2 and Firewire). Allow me to state that it
works MUCH better with the Promise drivers as compared to the operating
system drivers. Why don't you install the dedicated manufacturers drivers
for your add-in card?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

F wrote:

> Ever since I installed a USB 2 PCI board (NEC chipset) on my Asus
> AV266-E motherboard running Win XP Pro SP2 I've had random lockups.
> Sometimes when booting up, sometimes when shutting down, other times
> when opening a folder or when inserting a memory card into a USB 2 card
> reader.
>
> Any suggestions by way of a solution? I have reloaded the Microsoft USB
> 2.0 driver and have installed the latest Via update.

Try a different slot, especially if you put it in the slot next to the
AGP slot.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

On 25/06/2005 12:09 R. McCarty wrote:

> You may want to disable the motherboard USB channels (Via BIOS).

I disabled both entries in the Asus A7V266-E bios and the problem seems
to have been solved (although I might regret typing that!).

Thanks to you (and others) for the help/suggestions.