HD Upgrade Trouble

JohnM720

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Hopefully someone can identify my problem as it has been driving me nuts. My original config was using a WD 20gb (wd200bb)as the master and a WD 80gb (wd800??) as the slave. The 20gb master begin to fail so as a replacement and upgrade I purchased a WD 200gb drive (wb2000jb). I put the drive as the master. I power up the system, the drives begin to spin up and the system shuts down and doesn't even make it to the POST announcement. Tried different jumper settings and another IDE cable - no luck. I got it up once and manged to install XP Pro with all the updates but after the system shuts down it wont repower up. Seems in reading various forums a lot of people are having some type of problem with this 200gb drive. Any ideas would be appreciated. My mobo and bios support the large drives.

Thanks,

John

ASUS p4b533 Bios - 1015
1 gig PC2100 ram
ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card w/ 256mb ram

Lanik

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
I once had a problem similar to what you are saying, and it turned out to be that my power supply did not have enough wattage. do you think that could be it?

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Did you try POSTing it alone, without the WD80GB?

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Will not mind if taken advantage of.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Aye, I would agree

It is strange though that 2 HDDs from the same manuf have problems, usually it when U mix to diff manufacturers that this happens...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

JohnM720

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
I am running a 500w power supply so I don't think that should be the problem. I originally managed to get the drive up as a slave and using WD's program had it copy over the boot files. When I placed it in the master slot the BIOS gave me a message that no IDE Hard Drive is detected and the BIOS showed none where the drive should show. I kept fiddling with it and managed to install WIN XP on the drive. With the second drive (80) hooked up I always get the shutdown. Without it I have managed to twice get it to boot but usually even by itself I get the shutdown. I did notice that the both times I manages to get it up I got a BIOS warning saying that the CPU is misreporting its speed and to check it. CPU speed is correct system boots. Never get this message on the original config only with the 200gb. Waiting for a response from WD support. Maybe I just managed to buy a lemon drive. Would be my luck. If anyone can think of anything to try let me know.

John