Windows XP Service Pack 3

I assume there will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP at some stage.

Any idea when it's due for release, or even if it's being developed yet?

In news:%23tEQizXeFHA.3836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Wattsville Blues <nothing@nothing.net> typed:

> I assume there will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP at some
> stage.
>
> Any idea when it's due for release, or even if it's being
> developed
> yet?

No information has been released as to when, or even whether,
there will be a Service Pack 3.

Please reply to the newsgroup

What with IE 7.0 and Longhorn, I doubt SP3 is even on the books
at Microsoft. Likely, any new major updates for it will come in the
form of back porting Longhorn features, as some kind of Rollup.

"Wattsville Blues" <nothing@nothing.net> wrote in message
>I assume there will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP at some stage.
>
> Any idea when it's due for release, or even if it's being developed yet?

Hi,

It's not even in the development stage at this point, nor have I even heard
of any planning stages being conducted. I would say it's safe to say that it
will eventually happen, but nothing right away.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's not even in the development stage at this point, nor have I even heard
> of any planning stages being conducted. I would say it's safe to say that it
> will eventually happen, but nothing right away.

I wonder why there's the delay? I thought Service Packs were roughly
annual events (SP2 excluded).

In news:%233geEaYeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Wattsville Blues <nothing@nothing.net> typed:

> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's not even in the development stage at this point, nor have
>> even heard of any planning stages being conducted. I would say
>> it's
>> safe to say that it will eventually happen, but nothing right
>> away.
>>

> I wonder why there's the delay? I thought Service Packs were
> roughly
> annual events (SP2 excluded).

Rather than any fixed schedule, it's more a matter of when it's
needed, and when it's ready.

Wattsville Blues wrote:
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's not even in the development stage at this point, nor have I
>> even heard of any planning stages being conducted. I would say it's
>> safe to say that it will eventually happen, but nothing right away.
>>

> I wonder why there's the delay? I thought Service Packs were roughly
> annual events (SP2 excluded).

NT4 had 6 SPs. NT5 [W2K] had 4, and MS has announced that SP4 would be
the last for W2K.

NT5.1 [WXP] will probably have one more SP, but I'd doubt that it will
be out until LH has been released.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Probably a pretty good guess, as I'm sure most of the resources now will be
directed towards LH development.

--

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:%233geEaYeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Wattsville Blues <nothing@nothing.net> typed:
>>
>> I wonder why there's the delay? I thought Service Packs were
>> roughly
>> annual events (SP2 excluded).
>
> Rather than any fixed schedule, it's more a matter of when it's
> needed, and when it's ready.

I'd have to disagree with the "when it's needed" part of Ken's reply.
SP2 was NEEDED a full year before it was ready. And I would suggest
that even MS was aware that SP2 was overdue from when it was neede when
it compiled its free Security Update CD, and even that was about 6
months overdue from when it was needed.

My way of looking at when a new Service Pack is needed is when there are
20 or more patches needed to be install from the last Service Pack. At
the very least a rollup patch, or another Security Update CD should be
released.

Assuming that someone is doing a clean or even a repair install of XP
using dial-up, one of the security holes can be breached before the
patch that covers the hole is downloaded.

I do agree with Ken, however, that SPs, RUPs, or SU CDs should not be
release before they are ready, but MS should already be be working on a
Rollup Patch, or a Security Update CD, if not a full blown Service Pack,
by my way of thinking, but I very much doubt that they are.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"Wattsville Blues" <nothing@nothing.net> wrote in message
>I assume there will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP at some stage.
>
> Any idea when it's due for release, or even if it's being developed yet?

When any public information is available it will be posted at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

--

Regards,

Mike