MN700 wont connect to Toshiba PCX220

I have had the MN 700 for some time and has been working
fine till recently. I had some cable issues and the
technician replaced my older toshiba modem with a newer
one (Toshiba PCX 2200). Now under the same setup, the
MN700 will not connect to the internet. It has
negotiated a valid ip with the cable modem but the PC
light on the cable modem just blinks. Please help.
9 answers Last reply
More about mn700 wont connect toshiba pcx220

    when he installed the 2200, was it with a single computer and not the
    base station connected to it? clone the mac address of that computer
    into the base station.

    power cycle the toshiba and see if it works. if not, try a reset of
    the 700.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Tried that already. No luck.

    Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the
    modem (after having turned on ICF, of course)? Just in case
    this modem is gone too...

    The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
    output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
    directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
    into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
    mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
    the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
    MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

    who is your cable provider?
    can you post a copy of the log from the base station?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    This is most likely a MAC address issue. Most Cable providers use Mac
    locking these days, so the first device you connect to the Cable Modem is
    the only one that will function. When he brought the new modem and
    re-provisioned it, the PC was the first thing connected, and voila, the PC
    NIC's Mac Address is the one the cable modem expects.
    You may need to call your cable company support team and have them
    re-provision the line. (You may also be able to do this by turning off and
    unplugging the cable modem for 24 hours [some providers do a force
    reprovision], or by using the Reset/RPR button if there's one available).

    Take care,
    Mark

    "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?
    >
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
    > > output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
    > > directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
    > > into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
    > > mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
    > > the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
    > > MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    One more thing ... also note that one this happens, you may be able to
    copy your PC's MAC address to the MN700, but you'll also have to manually
    change your PC's MAC address. Two MACs on the same LAN won't fly. ;-) That
    may be an easier way around your problem, although, fixing it right would be
    best. ;-)

    "Mark Steel" <a@b.cc> wrote in message
    > This is most likely a MAC address issue. Most Cable providers use Mac
    > locking these days, so the first device you connect to the Cable Modem is
    > the only one that will function. When he brought the new modem and
    > re-provisioned it, the PC was the first thing connected, and voila, the PC
    > NIC's Mac Address is the one the cable modem expects.
    > You may need to call your cable company support team and have them
    > re-provision the line. (You may also be able to do this by turning off
    and
    > unplugging the cable modem for 24 hours [some providers do a force
    > reprovision], or by using the Reset/RPR button if there's one available).
    >
    > Take care,
    > Mark
    >

    > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?
    > >
    > > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > > The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
    > > > output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
    > > > directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
    > > > into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
    > > > mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
    > > > the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
    > > > MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Actually, he stated that MAC cloning was already tried and failed.
    That's why I want to see the base station log.

    Also, there is no need to change the pc's mac address. Cloning
    changes the WAN MAC address which has no impact on the internal LAN
    segment.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist