MN700 wont connect to Toshiba PCX220

I have had the MN 700 for some time and has been working
fine till recently. I had some cable issues and the
technician replaced my older toshiba modem with a newer
one (Toshiba PCX 2200). Now under the same setup, the
MN700 will not connect to the internet. It has
negotiated a valid ip with the cable modem but the PC
light on the cable modem just blinks. Please help.

when he installed the 2200, was it with a single computer and not the
base station connected to it? clone the mac address of that computer
into the base station.

power cycle the toshiba and see if it works. if not, try a reset of
the 700.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Tried that already. No luck.

wrote:

>>I have had the MN 700 for some time and has been
working
>>fine till recently. I had some cable issues and the
>>technician replaced my older toshiba modem with a newer
>>one (Toshiba PCX 2200). Now under the same setup, the
>>MN700 will not connect to the internet. It has
>>negotiated a valid ip with the cable modem but the PC
>>light on the cable modem just blinks. Please help.
>
>--
>Barb Bowman
>Expert Zone Columnist
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>MS-MVP (Windows)
>.

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the
modem (after having turned on ICF, of course)? Just in case
this modem is gone too...

The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

who is your cable provider?
can you post a copy of the log from the base station?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

This is most likely a MAC address issue. Most Cable providers use Mac
locking these days, so the first device you connect to the Cable Modem is
the only one that will function. When he brought the new modem and
re-provisioned it, the PC was the first thing connected, and voila, the PC
NIC's Mac Address is the one the cable modem expects.
You may need to call your cable company support team and have them
re-provision the line. (You may also be able to do this by turning off and
unplugging the cable modem for 24 hours [some providers do a force
reprovision], or by using the Reset/RPR button if there's one available).

Take care,
Mark

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?
>
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
> > The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
> > output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
> > directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
> > into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
> > mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
> > the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
> > MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

One more thing ... also note that one this happens, you may be able to
copy your PC's MAC address to the MN700, but you'll also have to manually
change your PC's MAC address. Two MACs on the same LAN won't fly. ;-) That
may be an easier way around your problem, although, fixing it right would be
best. ;-)

"Mark Steel" <a@b.cc> wrote in message
> This is most likely a MAC address issue. Most Cable providers use Mac
> locking these days, so the first device you connect to the Cable Modem is
> the only one that will function. When he brought the new modem and
> re-provisioned it, the PC was the first thing connected, and voila, the PC
> NIC's Mac Address is the one the cable modem expects.
> You may need to call your cable company support team and have them
> re-provision the line. (You may also be able to do this by turning off
and
> unplugging the cable modem for 24 hours [some providers do a force
> reprovision], or by using the Reset/RPR button if there's one available).
>
> Take care,
> Mark
>

> "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Can you post a copy of the base station log from the MN700?
> >
> > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
> > > The modem directly to the PC works. If I do sharing and
> > > output a cable to the MN700, it works. It just wont work
> > > directly to the new cable modem. If I plug the computer
> > > into the modem, the pc light is on steady. If I plug the
> > > mn700 in the pc light just blinks. I have tried to clone
> > > the mac with no luck. Nothing seems to be able to get the
> > > MN700 to actually handshake with the modem.

Actually, he stated that MAC cloning was already tried and failed.
That's why I want to see the base station log.

Also, there is no need to change the pc's mac address. Cloning
changes the WAN MAC address which has no impact on the internal LAN
segment.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist