Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Problem installing XP Pro on new build PC

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 25, 2005 9:00:01 AM

I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
assist me?

More about : problem installing pro build

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:11:04 AM

Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
--
Ron Sommer

"Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
>and
> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
> from
> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
> assist me?
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:34:33 PM

Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
misconfiguration.

Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
news:o NsD37XeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
>>and
>> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot
>> drive,
>> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
>> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
>> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
>> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
>> from
>> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
>> assist me?

June 25, 2005 12:34:34 PM

Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that my mobo, DFi Sli-DR, has an extra
power connector of floppy type. I'd plugged in a spare connector the only
way it would fit. Looking at manual it implies pin one should be +12v, but
connectr will only fit with 5V in that slot. given I have only 1 vga card
and it has its own 6pin power connector, maybe I don't need this connector.
i'll try it. failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
conflict?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
> this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
> misconfiguration.
>
> Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
> BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> news:o NsD37XeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
> > --
> > Ron Sommer
> >
> > "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
> >>and
> >> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot
> >> drive,
> >> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
> >> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
> >> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
> >> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
> >> from
> >> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
> >> assist me?

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:30:54 PM

Hi,

Where on the board are you seeing this extra power connector? Are you sure
it's what you think it is?

> failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
> allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
> conflict?

If it's a hardware conflict, it still won't boot.

--

> Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that my mobo, DFi Sli-DR, has an
> extra
> power connector of floppy type. I'd plugged in a spare connector the only
> way it would fit. Looking at manual it implies pin one should be +12v,
> but
> connectr will only fit with 5V in that slot. given I have only 1 vga card
> and it has its own 6pin power connector, maybe I don't need this
> connector.
> i'll try it. failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's
> ide
> allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
> conflict?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
>> this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
>> misconfiguration.
>>
>> Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
>> BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>> news:o NsD37XeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
>> > --
>> > Ron Sommer
>> >
>> > "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 25, 2005 5:22:49 PM

In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...

> I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
> assist me?

Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?
June 25, 2005 10:02:03 PM

ByTor wrote:

> In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
> Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...
>

>>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
>>detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
>>and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
>>inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
>>nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
>>This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
>>a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
>>assist me?
>>

> Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?

Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.

John
June 25, 2005 10:02:04 PM

In article <v_gve.140$JM6.106@trndny05>, John@nowhere.com, John says...
> ByTor wrote:
>
> > In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
> > Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...
> >

> >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
> >>detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
> >>and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
> >>inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
> >>nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
> >>This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
> >>a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
> >>assist me?
> >>

> > Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?
> >

> Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
> drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.
>
> John

Yep, that was my next step/question, but the OP did not mention if the
F6 option even comes up at the bottom of screen..........
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:49:01 AM

Short answer to your question is that I dont see it. The bios screen appears
and disappears so quickly that I don't have time to actually read it. Once
it passes to the boot poage showing irq tables etc, it then immediately boots
from cd, and immediately says "setup inspecting hardware config..." and then
just stops. I could try pressing f6, but at what point would I do this?

"ByTor" wrote:

> In article <v_gve.140$JM6.106@trndny05>, John@nowhere.com, John says...
> > ByTor wrote:
> >
> > > In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
> > > Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...

> > > Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?
> > >

> > Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
> > drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.
> >
> > John
> >

> Yep, that was my next step/question, but the OP did not mention if the
> F6 option even comes up at the bottom of screen..........

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:52:01 AM

Its a new NF4 SLI board, and the manual clearly states that it has a 24pin
atx power connector, a 4pin 12v connector, an additional HDD type power
connector and a FDD type power connector. In theory it says the last two may
not be entirely necessary especially if you are not running SLI. In any
case, the last FDD type connector is not set up to match the voltage on the
pins on my power supply's FDD power connector, it seems that the 5v and12v
pins are the wrong way round. As best I can tell it shouldall work without
that one connected anyway.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where on the board are you seeing this extra power connector? Are you sure
> it's what you think it is?
>
> > failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
> > allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
> > conflict?
>
> If it's a hardware conflict, it still won't boot.
>

> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that my mobo, DFi Sli-DR, has an
> > extra
> > power connector of floppy type. I'd plugged in a spare connector the only
> > way it would fit. Looking at manual it implies pin one should be +12v,
> > but
> > connectr will only fit with 5V in that slot. given I have only 1 vga card
> > and it has its own 6pin power connector, maybe I don't need this
> > connector.
> > i'll try it. failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's
> > ide
> > allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
> > conflict?
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
> >> this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
> >> misconfiguration.
> >>
> >> Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
> >> BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> >> news:o NsD37XeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

June 26, 2005 8:16:34 PM

1) best place to get help would be a group based on your motherboard; did
you say DFI? They have a newsgroup.

2) The extra power connectors are for the SLI setup, you shouldn't need
them with an ordinary video card. The fact that the cd boots and starts
indicates your power is ok. [perhaps the CD is bad? visually inspect
for any debris or scratchs].

3) Unplug all extra devices until after xp is installed. Have only the
one optical and the one HD plugged in, plus the floppy. [no zips, extra
HDs/Opticals, multi-card readers, any usb attached items, firewire, lan,
etc]. The two drives should be plugged into there "final" interfaces (ie,
don't plan to move them after install).

4) make sure your SATA is configured in the bios correctly. review ALL
your bios settings carefully. particualarly...

5) on an NF4, make sure APIC Mode is true (Adv Prog Interrupt Controller,
not APCI). This enables interrupts above 16, and is necessary to get ACPI
(power mgnt) to work and be detected by xp setup (and have it install the
acpi hal). NEVER CHANGE THIS BACK TO FALSE AFTER SETUP, OR THE BOX WON'T
BOOT.

6) When you do finally get setup to run, you will need to press F6 and
insert a floppy w/ the SATA+RAID drivers on it, even if you are not using
the raid feature. W/ an NForce config, there are TWO drivers you need to
select (in sequence). Check the MB docs, they should make this clear. If
you can't find it, check the nvidia nforce site, there's a doc there that
explains it. You may want to go ahead and dl the latest nforce suite too.
This gets installed after XP is up and working (you'll use bits of it to
make the F6 floppy tho). [The MB should have come w/ this floppy,
really. it should be fine to do the install, then update the nforce w/
latest version.]
June 26, 2005 8:21:30 PM

sorry, there apparently is no DFI specific newsgroup. but there is a
general one:

alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard

perhaps DFI folks hang out there.

google for more resources (in google GROUPS, as well as WEB).