Problem installing XP Pro on new build PC

I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
assist me?
11 answers Last reply
More about problem installing build

    Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
    >and
    > detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
    > and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    > inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    > nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    > This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
    > from
    > a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    > assist me?

    Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
    this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
    misconfiguration.

    Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
    BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
    >>and
    >> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot
    >> drive,
    >> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    >> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    >> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    >> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
    >> from
    >> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    >> assist me?

    Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that my mobo, DFi Sli-DR, has an extra
    power connector of floppy type. I'd plugged in a spare connector the only
    way it would fit. Looking at manual it implies pin one should be +12v, but
    connectr will only fit with 5V in that slot. given I have only 1 vga card
    and it has its own 6pin power connector, maybe I don't need this connector.
    i'll try it. failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
    allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
    conflict?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
    > this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
    > misconfiguration.
    >
    > Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
    > BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > > Is the hdd partitioned and formatted?
    > > --
    > > Ron Sommer
    > >
    > > "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine
    > >>and
    > >> detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot
    > >> drive,
    > >> and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    > >> inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    > >> nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    > >> This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers
    > >> from
    > >> a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    > >> assist me?

    Hi,

    Where on the board are you seeing this extra power connector? Are you sure
    it's what you think it is?

    > failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
    > allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
    > conflict?

    If it's a hardware conflict, it still won't boot.

    --

    In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
    Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...

    > I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
    > detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
    > and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    > inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    > nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    > This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
    > a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    > assist me?

    Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?

    ByTor wrote:

    > In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
    > Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...
    >

    >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
    >>detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
    >>and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    >>inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    >>nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    >>This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
    >>a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    >>assist me?
    >>

    > Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?

    Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
    drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.

    John

    In article <v_gve.140$JM6.106@trndny05>, John@nowhere.com, John says...
    > ByTor wrote:
    >
    > > In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
    > > Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...
    > >

    > >>I have just built a new PC from new components. It boots into BIOS fine and
    > >>detects all the drives - SATA HDD and CD. I have set up CD as boot drive,
    > >>and installed the XP Pro disc. It immediately puts message "Setup is
    > >>inspecting your hardware configuration..." and then just sits there doing
    > >>nothing. I have left it for a long time so far but nothing is happening.
    > >>This is repeatable. Do I need to do something different eg load drivers from
    > >>a floppy or is there a problem with my hardward set up? Anyone able to
    > >>assist me?
    > >>

    > > Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?
    > >

    > Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
    > drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.
    >
    > John

    Yep, that was my next step/question, but the OP did not mention if the
    F6 option even comes up at the bottom of screen..........

    Short answer to your question is that I dont see it. The bios screen appears
    and disappears so quickly that I don't have time to actually read it. Once
    it passes to the boot poage showing irq tables etc, it then immediately boots
    from cd, and immediately says "setup inspecting hardware config..." and then
    just stops. I could try pressing f6, but at what point would I do this?

    "ByTor" wrote:

    > In article <v_gve.140$JM6.106@trndny05>, John@nowhere.com, John says...
    > > ByTor wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <07B78DF0-5385-4388-99D5-239E0DF217B3@microsoft.com>,
    > > > Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsem9uZQ==?= says...

    > > > Are you getting the F6 option to load drivers?
    > > >

    > > Yea the op probably needs SATA drivers. Just because the BIOS sees the
    > > drive is no guarantee that XP's install routine can.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > Yep, that was my next step/question, but the OP did not mention if the
    > F6 option even comes up at the bottom of screen..........

    Its a new NF4 SLI board, and the manual clearly states that it has a 24pin
    atx power connector, a 4pin 12v connector, an additional HDD type power
    connector and a FDD type power connector. In theory it says the last two may
    not be entirely necessary especially if you are not running SLI. In any
    case, the last FDD type connector is not set up to match the voltage on the
    pins on my power supply's FDD power connector, it seems that the 5v and12v
    pins are the wrong way round. As best I can tell it shouldall work without
    that one connected anyway.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Where on the board are you seeing this extra power connector? Are you sure
    > it's what you think it is?
    >
    > > failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's ide
    > > allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
    > > conflict?
    >
    > If it's a hardware conflict, it still won't boot.
    >

    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Calzone" <Calzone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that my mobo, DFi Sli-DR, has an
    > > extra
    > > power connector of floppy type. I'd plugged in a spare connector the only
    > > way it would fit. Looking at manual it implies pin one should be +12v,
    > > but
    > > connectr will only fit with 5V in that slot. given I have only 1 vga card
    > > and it has its own 6pin power connector, maybe I don't need this
    > > connector.
    > > i'll try it. failing that, will putting my old pc's HDD on the new one's
    > > ide
    > > allow me to boot, or should it still fail on basis there's a hardware
    > > conflict?
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Wouldn't matter, a drive does not need to be partitioned or formatted at
    > >> this point of setup. More likely it is that there is a hardware
    > >> misconfiguration.
    > >>
    > >> Check jumper settings, reseat cabling, detection settings in the system
    > >> BIOS, clocking and frequency (do not overclock).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

    1) best place to get help would be a group based on your motherboard; did
    you say DFI? They have a newsgroup.

    2) The extra power connectors are for the SLI setup, you shouldn't need
    them with an ordinary video card. The fact that the cd boots and starts
    indicates your power is ok. [perhaps the CD is bad? visually inspect
    for any debris or scratchs].

    3) Unplug all extra devices until after xp is installed. Have only the
    one optical and the one HD plugged in, plus the floppy. [no zips, extra
    HDs/Opticals, multi-card readers, any usb attached items, firewire, lan,
    etc]. The two drives should be plugged into there "final" interfaces (ie,
    don't plan to move them after install).

    4) make sure your SATA is configured in the bios correctly. review ALL
    your bios settings carefully. particualarly...

    5) on an NF4, make sure APIC Mode is true (Adv Prog Interrupt Controller,
    not APCI). This enables interrupts above 16, and is necessary to get ACPI
    (power mgnt) to work and be detected by xp setup (and have it install the
    acpi hal). NEVER CHANGE THIS BACK TO FALSE AFTER SETUP, OR THE BOX WON'T
    BOOT.

    6) When you do finally get setup to run, you will need to press F6 and
    insert a floppy w/ the SATA+RAID drivers on it, even if you are not using
    the raid feature. W/ an NForce config, there are TWO drivers you need to
    select (in sequence). Check the MB docs, they should make this clear. If
    you can't find it, check the nvidia nforce site, there's a doc there that
    explains it. You may want to go ahead and dl the latest nforce suite too.
    This gets installed after XP is up and working (you'll use bits of it to
    make the F6 floppy tho). [The MB should have come w/ this floppy,
    really. it should be fine to do the install, then update the nforce w/
    latest version.]

    sorry, there apparently is no DFI specific newsgroup. but there is a
    general one:

    alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard

    perhaps DFI folks hang out there.

    google for more resources (in google GROUPS, as well as WEB).

Windows XP