I just built a new desktop and installed Windows 7 home premium OEM copy to my ssd and ever since i've been getting SSL Error on my browser for specific sites such as facebook, google, and youtube. I've searched for a solution to this problem for hours and i haven't found a single helpful thing and I'm still not even sure I know what's wrong.
I'm using google chrome but i've tried on IE and Firefox whenever i get the ssl error for a site and it does it for all. the weird thing is, when i get an SSL Error, it will be blocked or deny me for a certain amount of time (it's been anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours) and then it will work again.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the windows root certificates or some such and the only fixes i can find are for XP. I've even tried updating my root certs with the XP rootsupd file from windows download center that everyone suggests and that some say works on windows 7 for them. Nothing has worked. It is only localized to my desktop as my laptop and every other device on the network has no issues.
windows is completely updated. i'm out of ideas and im tired of searching only to go in circles and find nothing useful. when it happens again, i'll take a screenshot and post it if that will help.
every time i get the ssl error i check and it's always synced.
It has nothing to do with the root certificates and everything to do with the system time and the network path. If you have an ISP which insists on injecting data into the HTTP response then that will cause an error.
Where do you live and what is your ISP?
EDIT: Is the disk you're using to install Windows one from Microsoft or one from an OEM? I don't mean the license terms but where the physical disk came from.
You can get the official, unbastardized installer here
ok, i updated my host file but im not sure i did it correctly so we'll see! im not seeing any mixed content option in chrome but under the HTTPS/SSL there's a check box that i have checked labeled "Check for server certificate revocation".
Yes, the hosts file is a bit strange for windows users like us.
"Check for server certificate revocation": some month ago a virus came with a valid Microsoft certificate. This certificate was then marked as invalid by the issuer, but if the certificate is already installed on your PC, your browser checks that only if this option is set.