Reusable Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompinpangin

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi. So I'm getting ready to order parts to make my first computer (yay!). I was stocking up the list on Newegg when I thought of Windows. I wondered if I needed to buy it or if I could use the disk I got from a previous HP laptop. I don't know if the disk would work in this way, but it doesn't really matter because I can't find it.

I was in distress and I frantically searched everywhere, but it was useless. I looked up what to do on the internet, and I saw something about being able to boot up windows from a usb. Is there a way if I own windows to copy the files on to a usb and use it to boot up and run a brand new computer? Or do I need to buy Windows again? I have already downloaded the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO (I think) to my computer. Please feedback would be really appreciated as it could be the matter of spending $100 plus.

You should be able to double click on the ISO and burn it to a DVD, that's the usual method for installation. If you want to go down the USB route
http://johnpapa.net/BootFromUSB

Meanwhile you'll have to licence your Windows install, you can bypass the licence key screen and run Windows for 30 days without a licence, but during that time you'll have to buy either a retail version or OEM version. The Retail version can be transferred to any computer any time as long as it's only on one at a time. Strictly speaking the OEM is locked to the 1st system on which it is installed,(you won't be able to transfer your laptop Licence to your new-build) but there is generally some leeway when,say, upgrading a machine with similar mobos. (This is at the discretion of call centres when you activate an OEM by telephone)

Stompinpangin

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Yeah, I've heard about that. But when I tried it, I couldn't complete the task because my DVD doesn't have enough memory or something. So I figured it would be more efficient to use a USB. But I'll look in to it, thanks. And also, do you know if these methods will boot a computer? I don't want to get a new computer that I can't even operate. :)

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Stompinpangin

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Ah.. so what you are saying is that I cannot get Windows freely on my new build because the version I have is the one-computer only kind. Okay. While that is disappointing, I guess it makes sense. So should I just order Windows 7 along with all of the other parts on Newegg? or is there a better way to go about getting it? Note that I will just probably get another OEM version for around $100. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.