Supply in Empire

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Hi !

I have tried to think a little bit about the supply in Empire and compared
it to other wargames.
Usually, wargames are light in accounting rules because you have to do
everything by hand (I'm not talking about computer wargames). Most have
basic supply rules, if any.
In some computer wargames, you can count everything to the ammo because the
computer is doing the processing. In this type of game, resupply is usually
simple: a unit can resupply anything without having to count the number of
pistol catridges or mortar shells still in the supply truck (for example).
Empire seems to be in the awkward situation of being in the middle of
everything.
You have to supply shells and food to your ships, for examlpe, but when you
have to take care of fuel too it's suddenly too much micromanagment.
The computer is helping us manage the supply used but not the resupply.

Two of the possible ways to change/try to improve the situation are those:
- simplify supply to basic rules.
- simplify resupply.

Simplifying supply rules:
A possible way would be to NOT use shells when firing. You'll have to load
some shells, like you load guns, mil, oil in your ships/units but you will
not use any.
Basically, a ship would need cms, shells, guns, mils, food and oil/pet to be
operationnal. After that, only mob will limit her activity (of course in
this configuration you need to use mob when firing).
No other commodities will be "consumed".
Pro: really less micromanagement - only damage or lack of mob will impair a
unit
Con: impact on the economy (less shells needed), mines needs to be thought
of (either mob usage or shells usage)

Simplifying resupply:
Here the idea is to have automatic resupply. It could be from sects or
special units radiating supply, eventually chaining (automatically) to some
central pile of supply or just using some virtual supply ammount (like the $
in the treasury or the mil in reserve).
You could have supply range expressed in sect or in mob cost (thus making
highway precious to bring the supply farther).
Pro: may be more strategic warfare to maintain/cut supply
Con: far more harder to code?

I may try a game where shells are not used when firing. May be I'll ask more
cms to produce shells and make them cost more to compensate the lack of mass
shell building.

Feel free to flame these ideas. It's better to shotdown ideas right now than
to do some work then realize it's a very bad idea.
Chtom.
PS: I'm sorry if I'm not that clear but english is not my maternal language.

Chtom wrote:

> Hi !
>
> [..]

Hi!

> PS: I'm sorry if I'm not that clear but english is not my maternal language.

:) Just your dad spoke it?

Interesting ideas on supply, btw.

Warm regards, Sean.