Wolfpack 4.2.15 Server Release

Last response: in Video Games
May 27, 2004 3:50:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

We are happy to announce that Empire 4.2.15 is now available. You may
find it and lots of other information on Empire at the following
location:

http://www.wolfpackempire.com

You can download the server at

http://www.wolfpackempire.com/Downloads/server/empire-4...

or from SourceForge at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/empserver/

This release fixes several critical bugs that allow players to crash
the server or worse. Player visible changes include improved
selectors, revamped `rollover avail' rules, and a smarter survey
command. Deity visible changes include further improvements to the
edit command.

Deities are urged to use this release for new games. Upgrading
mid-game is not supported. We are not aware of any specific reason
why upgrading from 4.2.14 should fail, except when option MARKET is
enabled, so you might wish to push your luck.

There is no separate client release 4.2.15, as the client did not
change since 4.2.14.

Any bugs or problems, send e-mail to: wolfpack@wolfpackempire.com.

Change log:

Changes to Empire 4.2.15 - Wed May 26 17:55:58 UTC 2004
* test command no longer asks whether to abandon the sector.
* explore command could generate a bogus `lost' record when it
regains an abandoned start sector.
* edit command now properly updates stats when editing tech level of
ships, planes or land units. A few of these stats can be edited
separately, which doesn't make much sense, and is now deprecated.
* edit command no longer accepts efficiency values that would destroy
the edited unit. Deities can still delete a units by setting the
owner to zero.
* upgrade command used to charge an amount of avail that didn't match
info upgrade. Neither the implemented nor the documented amount
made much sense. Change it to 15% of the full build cost. Rewrite
info upgrade.
* Commands upgrade and build could be off by one when reporting
required avail.
* upgrade command reported rounded cost but charged unrounded
cost. Round cost of upgrade down to match behavior of build.
* Upgrading planes now preserves range when it is less than the
maximum range. It used to set it to the new maximum range.
* show bridge and show tower no longer claim bridge building requires
`workers' (whatever that is), since it doesn't.
* Replace option ROLLOVER_AVAIL by econfig parameter
rollover_avail_max, which is the maximum amount of avail that rolls
over. Previously, avail was limited after rollover, and even when
ROLLOVER_AVAIL was off. Fix that.
* Ships weren't always charged mobility for firing with option
NOMOBCOST off.
* Fix shell use of return torpedoes.
* designate no longer complains twice about deity only designations.
* Ensure designate zaps efficiency only when sector type really
changes.
* Fix strength to always report mines to deities.
* Remove option SHIP_DECAY.
* Fix bug in sonar that could crash or yield unpredictable results
near the true origin.
* Fix buffer overflow in flash and wall.
* Fix wall not to strip out first word of message.
* Change market and order to use item types instead of mnemo
characters.
* Market now reports sales with full item names instead of single
letter codes.
* buy now requires first argument to be an item name, as documented.
* production command handled production backlog incorrectly, failed
to limit production for production efficiency greater than one,
e.g. agribusiness, and incorrectly limited raw material
consumption. Also fix a rounding error.
* Sector work was accidentally truncated to even.
* Fix coordinate parsing for large numbers when WORLD_X or WORLD_Y
don't divide SHRT_MAX+1.
* Properly diagnose over-long unit lists.
* Rewrite selector code. Old code let players smash the stack by
supplying too many conditions. New code properly rejects ambiguous
abbreviations and prefers exact matches. Selectors with names that
collide with types, like land units' rad and spy, now work. Selectors with
non-integral values, like land units' att, now work.
* survey used to display hundreds for everything but variables. Now
it displays hundreds only for values that can be large.
* Rewrite info survey. Document ability to survey properties other
than items and resources.
* Rewrite info build, since it was inaccurate and poorly structured.
* Fix info fire on required military.
* New fairland argument -R to set the PRNG seed. Print the seed.
This allows you to recreate the same world again.
* New facilities to deal with internal errors. These crash when the
server is started with -d, which is appropriate for debugging, and
potentially disastrous for running a real game.
* Automated nightly builds.
* Code cleanups.

MD5 checksums:
8fa4ccdde3487bd2a590ee1b436534f1 empire-4.2.15.tar.gz
671c6f6fcf3b36cd17fd777febf4fb52 empire-info-html-4.2.15.tar.gz
f131b190182940f0babf069e1475ebb8 empire-info-text-4.2.15.tar.gz

Wolfpack! Bringing you the latest and greatest in Empire development and
support, and, in our minds, the best multi-player game around.

Check out Empire at http://www.wolfpackempire.com wolfpack@wolfpackempire.com

More about : wolfpack server release

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 2:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Greetings Wolfpack,

Has there been any word on the status of the
4.2.15 windows binary that usually accompanies
a new server version release?

Shaggfully Yours,
Bungy

"Wolfpack" <wolfpack@wolfpackempire.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> than items and resources.
> * Rewrite info build, since it was inaccurate and poorly structured.
> * Fix info fire on required military.
> * New fairland argument -R to set the PRNG seed. Print the seed.
> This allows you to recreate the same world again.
> * New facilities to deal with internal errors. These crash when the
> server is started with -d, which is appropriate for debugging, and
> potentially disastrous for running a real game.
> * Automated nightly builds.
> * Code cleanups.
>
> MD5 checksums:
> 8fa4ccdde3487bd2a590ee1b436534f1 empire-4.2.15.tar.gz
> 671c6f6fcf3b36cd17fd777febf4fb52 empire-info-html-4.2.15.tar.gz
> f131b190182940f0babf069e1475ebb8 empire-info-text-4.2.15.tar.gz
>

> Wolfpack! Bringing you the latest and greatest in Empire development and
> support, and, in our minds, the best multi-player game around.

June 3, 2004 5:22:08 AM

"Bungholio" <bungy@sheep.orgy> wrote in message
> Greetings Wolfpack,
>
> Has there been any word on the status of the
> 4.2.15 windows binary that usually accompanies
> a new server version release?
>
> Shaggfully Yours,
> Bungy

This was done by Ron. He's away for now. May be he'll do the 4.2.15 win32
bin for us when he'll come back. :)

Chtom.
June 3, 2004 5:22:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Thanks Chtom. Any idea when he is due back?
I was hoping to have this binary available to do
some pre-blitzes for the next PettingZoo game.
Either that, or if anyone has exact instructions
for a non-SW guy for how to use sigwin to
setup a win2k system with 4.2.15.

Bungy

"Chtom" <nono@nono.com> wrote in message

> "Bungholio" <bungy@sheep.orgy> wrote in message
> > Greetings Wolfpack,
> >
> > Has there been any word on the status of the
> > 4.2.15 windows binary that usually accompanies
> > a new server version release?
> >
> > Shaggfully Yours,
> > Bungy
>
> This was done by Ron. He's away for now. May be he'll do the 4.2.15 win32
> bin for us when he'll come back. :)
>
> Chtom.

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 11:51:20 AM

> Thanks Chtom. Any idea when he is due back?

At the end of the week IIRC.

Chtom.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 8:23:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

"Chtom" <nono@nono.com> wrote in message news:<c9lnet$ped$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>...
> "Bungholio" <bungy@sheep.orgy> wrote in message
> > Greetings Wolfpack,
> >
> > Has there been any word on the status of the
> > 4.2.15 windows binary that usually accompanies
> > a new server version release?
> >
> > Shaggfully Yours,
> > Bungy
>
> This was done by Ron. He's away for now. May be he'll do the 4.2.15 win32
> bin for us when he'll come back. :)
>
> Chtom.

I am back.

The standard precompiled binaries for Windows version of the server
are now available on sourceforge.net/projects/empserver under Empire
Contributions.

Again the precompiled binaries are not directly supported by Wolfpack
so please email me (rkoenderink@yahoo.ca) or post to r.g.e. for help.

Ron K.
!