Help starting a game

Gonzo

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I am trying to get a game running on my Linux (Fedora) machine.

I've compiled the binaries, and can run emp_server, however, whenever I run
emp_client I can't seem to log in. It asks what country I am and I try '0'
or 'POGO' or my user name, which all are apparently unrecognized. I can
connect to the empire server using a Windows machine, but from that client,
when I ask the server to list all the countries in sactuary, it says there
are none.

I wonder if there is some special way to create new countries (other than
specifying the number of countires in the config files). BTW, I specified
10 countries in my config files....

Any help would be appreciated!

Gonzo wrote:

> I am trying to get a game running on my Linux (Fedora) machine.
>
> I've compiled the binaries, and can run emp_server, however, whenever I
> run
> emp_client I can't seem to log in. It asks what country I am and I try
> '0'
> or 'POGO' or my user name, which all are apparently unrecognized. I can
> connect to the empire server using a Windows machine, but from that
> client, when I ask the server to list all the countries in sactuary, it
> says there are none.
>
> I wonder if there is some special way to create new countries (other than
> specifying the number of countires in the config files). BTW, I specified
> 10 countries in my config files....
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

I had the exact same problem. Use "POGO" and "peter" and you will get in
with the "emp_client". The full sequence of events should be:

1. ./files

2. ./fairland x y z .... (where x, y, z, etc. are parameters such as number
of continents, size of continents, etc.. To see a list of parameters just
type ./fairland -- safe to do).

3. ./emp_server

4. ./emp_client (use "POGO" and "peter")

5. Now you need to add the capitals:

execute newcap_script

6. Now start a remote client such as WinACE and provide the IP address and
port number you built it with.

Email me if you have problems: fkmiller@comcast.net

Thanks, Kelly

--