Can anyone help me?

Hi there

Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access the
internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
something bogus.

Thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    If you have not just installed new hardware or new software you know darn
    well that it is a bogus message. Go there at your own risk!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Balony" <Balony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    > installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access
    > the
    > internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    > something bogus.
    >
    > Thanks

    "Balony" <Balony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    > installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access
    > the
    > internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    > something bogus.
    >
    > Thanks

    What have you changed? Is anything not working?

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFsb255?= <Balony@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    >installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access the
    >internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    >something bogus.

    I searched for a while with google. Lots of places around the world
    report having entdrv51.sys on their systems but I wasn't able to find
    any web page declaring this to be net scum or any web page declaring
    which manufacturer this might be a driver for.

    BUT during the google search for emtdrv51 it found:
    http://forums.thetechguys.com/archive/index.php/t-10681.html
    and when I opened that page the alarms went of showing that
    this web page was dumping the Bloodhound.Exploit.6 onto my machine.

    So watch out out there, there are net scum.

    I just went to your posted link. It appears to be totally innocuous!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
    > =?Utf-8?B?QmFsb255?= <Balony@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >>Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    >>installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access
    >>the
    >>internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    >>something bogus.
    >
    > I searched for a while with google. Lots of places around the world
    > report having entdrv51.sys on their systems but I wasn't able to find
    > any web page declaring this to be net scum or any web page declaring
    > which manufacturer this might be a driver for.
    >
    > BUT during the google search for emtdrv51 it found:
    > http://forums.thetechguys.com/archive/index.php/t-10681.html
    > and when I opened that page the alarms went of showing that
    > this web page was dumping the Bloodhound.Exploit.6 onto my machine.
    >
    > So watch out out there, there are net scum.

    Not meaning to sound rude, but I typed "EntDrv51" in www.google.com and came
    up with 45 web sites mentioning "EntDrv51" .
    Try to do a little research on your own before clogging the "Group"

    Best Wishes

    "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > Not meaning to sound rude, but I typed "EntDrv51" in www.google.com and
    > came

    > up with 45 web sites mentioning "EntDrv51" .
    > Try to do a little research on your own before clogging the "Group"

    Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would be
    natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is what this
    group is for.

    It doesn't really matter as the person has not come back in 12 hours to give
    us more information.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Technical Ecstasy" <Sabbath@Ozzy.com> wrote in message
    > "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    >> Not meaning to sound rude, but I typed "EntDrv51" in www.google.com and
    >> came
    >
    >> up with 45 web sites mentioning "EntDrv51" .
    >> Try to do a little research on your own before clogging the "Group"
    >
    > Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would be
    > natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is what
    > this group is for.

    True

    > It doesn't really matter as the person has not come back in 12 hours to
    > give us more information.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "Technical Ecstasy" <Sabbath@Ozzy.com> wrote in message
    >> "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    >>> Not meaning to sound rude, but I typed "EntDrv51" in www.google.com and
    >>> came
    >>
    >>> up with 45 web sites mentioning "EntDrv51" .
    >>> Try to do a little research on your own before clogging the "Group"
    >>
    >> Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would
    >> be natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is
    >> what this group is for.

    There are at least 13 pages that describe that file on google, no need for
    the OP to even post here.

    > There are at least 13 pages that describe that file on google, no need for
    > the OP to even post here.

    I will repeat what I said previosly in case you did not understand.

    Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would be
    natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is what this
    group is for.

    Some people have a life, and there are no time limits. Perhaps he has a life
    away from his computer?

    > It doesn't really matter as the person has not come back in 12 hours to
    > give us more information.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "Technical Ecstasy" <Sabbath@Ozzy.com> wrote in message
    >> "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    >>> Not meaning to sound rude, but I typed "EntDrv51" in www.google.com and
    >>> came
    >>
    >>> up with 45 web sites mentioning "EntDrv51" .
    >>> Try to do a little research on your own before clogging the "Group"
    >>
    >> Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would
    >> be natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is
    >> what this group is for.

    True

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    > Some people have a life, and there are no time limits. Perhaps he has a
    > life away from his computer?

    >> It doesn't really matter as the person has not come back in 12 hours to
    >> give us more information.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "Technical Ecstasy" <Sabbath@Ozzy.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would
    >>> be natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is
    >>> what this group is for.

    Erm, look guys, I wasn't trying to upset people! Haven't had chance to get on
    my PC for a while.

    The problem seems to have occured when my other half pressed buttons on my
    firewall (ZoneAlarm) and when i next booted my PC this message was coming up.
    All I really wanted to know is if EntDrv51 was an actual piece of hardware
    for my PC that may have become unstable and, obviously, if it DID need
    re-installing. Also, my PC is running at less than half the speed it was a
    week ago, which further made me think the hardware was needed.

    Anyway, I have not installed it but if anyone knows how I can stop the
    installation message at startup that would be cool.

    Peace to all!

    Balony.

    "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:

    > "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > > There are at least 13 pages that describe that file on google, no need for
    > > the OP to even post here.
    >
    > I will repeat what I said previosly in case you did not understand.
    >

    > Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would be
    > natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is what this
    > group is for.

    Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Zone Alarm. Do not choose the option
    to save your settings(a clean install) when promoted.

    Balony wrote on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

    >Hi there
    >
    >Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    >installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access the
    >internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    >something bogus.
    >
    >Thanks

    Hi Balony

    It seems to be part of McAfee Managed VirusScan -- did you ever have
    that on your computer? I found this at:
    http://betavscan.mcafeeasap.com/beta/docs/readme/Readme.txt

    7. Uninstall of Managed VirusScan following a clean install without
    rebooting the system leaves behind the following two files. -
    EntAPI.dll file in the %WinDir%\System32 folder - EntDrv##.sys file in
    the %WinDir%\System32\drivers folder. Subsequent installation using the
    VSsetup program fails unless these files are manually removed. [215268]

    --
    Nightowl

    That didn't work, sorry.

    "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:

    > Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Zone Alarm. Do not choose the option
    > to save your settings(a clean install) when promoted.
    >

    > "Balony" <Balony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Erm, look guys, I wasn't trying to upset people! Haven't had chance to get
    > > on
    > > my PC for a while.
    > >
    > > The problem seems to have occured when my other half pressed buttons on my
    > > firewall (ZoneAlarm) and when i next booted my PC this message was coming
    > > up.
    > > All I really wanted to know is if EntDrv51 was an actual piece of hardware
    > > for my PC that may have become unstable and, obviously, if it DID need
    > > re-installing. Also, my PC is running at less than half the speed it was a
    > > week ago, which further made me think the hardware was needed.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I have not installed it but if anyone knows how I can stop the
    > > installation message at startup that would be cool.
    > >
    > > Peace to all!
    > >
    > > Balony.
    > >

    > > "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I will repeat what I said previosly in case you did not understand.
    > >>

    > >> Yeah and not one of them clearly describes what EntDrv51 is so it would
    > >> be
    > >> natural for the OP to post here to find a solution because that is what
    > >> this
    > >> group is for.

    Thanks Nightowl but that didn't work either. I have just done a search for
    entdrv and deleted the driver from system32. Hope it works but will let you
    know tomorrow.

    Ciao 4 now

    Balony wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005:

    >Thanks Nightowl but that didn't work either. I have just done a search for
    >entdrv and deleted the driver from system32. Hope it works but will let you
    >know tomorrow.
    >
    >Ciao 4 now

    Um, sorry, what didn't work? The quote I posted just explained that two
    files could be left behind after uninstalling McAfee --

    EntAPI.dll in the %WinDir%\System32 folder
    EntDrv##.sys file in the %WinDir%\System32\drivers folder

    You need to delete both.

    >"Nightowl" wrote:
    >
    >> Balony wrote on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:
    >>
    >> >Hi there
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone know what EntDrv51 is? I just booted my pc and hardware
    >> >installation wizard said it had just found this and requested to access the
    >> >internet to try download the installation software. I am worried it may be
    >> >something bogus.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >> >

    >> Hi Balony
    >>
    >> It seems to be part of McAfee Managed VirusScan -- did you ever have
    >> that on your computer? I found this at:
    >> http://betavscan.mcafeeasap.com/beta/docs/readme/Readme.txt
    >>
    >> 7. Uninstall of Managed VirusScan following a clean install without
    >> rebooting the system leaves behind the following two files. -
    >> EntAPI.dll file in the %WinDir%\System32 folder - EntDrv##.sys file in
    >> the %WinDir%\System32\drivers folder. Subsequent installation using the
    >> VSsetup program fails unless these files are manually removed. [215268]

    --
    Nightowl

    Sorry Nightowl. I had had a few drinks last night!

    Balony wrote on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

    >Sorry Nightowl. I had had a few drinks last night!

    Ha ha! No problem :-)

    --
    Nightowl

Microsoft Windows XP