Treo vs organiser+phone

August 29, 2004 3:36:43 AM

This rumour:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7073

and the realisation that my contract expires soon has set me wondering
whether I should try the 'smartphone' concept... again.

I tried last year, with a SE P800, but that didn't work out. The
organiser was, IMO, second-rate when compared to PalmOS; the ethos
seemed to be more 'what features can we cram in' rather than 'how easy
can we make it to perform tasks'. I thought that this was Palm-bias,
'fear of the new', but further playing proved me wrong. And as a phone
it was dreadful - keypad on, and it's too bulky and clunky, keypad off
and it's almost unusable (I constantly cut people off, and there was no
way to silence the ringer with a screenlock on - which was only
available from third parties!).

Anyway, I'm not sure if that dismal failure was because of the poor
implementation alone, or whether, even with a decent implementation, I'd
discover that smartphones don't suit me.

So, two questions:

1. Is the Treo 600 a decent implementation of the smartphone concept?
I'm very fussy, so I want something that works very well as an organiser
*and* as a phone. I think the organiser bit is covered because it works
much the same as any other PalmOS device, right? I am concerned about
the lack of grafitti area though - is the thumbboard a PITA? Will it
have compatibility problems with software, specifically useability hacks
such as QLaunch? In fact, are there any useability hacks out there
specifically for the thumbboard? I'd like the idea of using all those
hardware keys to launch favourite applications...

The phone bit worries me; I want to be able to make, recieve, refuse and
silence calls with a keypress or two (hardware keys, please!). I want to
be able to do all common phone functions - including sending and
responding to texts, calling up recent call lists, calling voicemail -
using hardware buttons only. I don't want to cut off callers or delete
contacts thanks to stupid design.

2. Can anyone who has tried either the Treo or A. N. Other Smartphone
and either loved it or hated it explain why, in their opinion,
smartphones are better/worse than a combination of organiser and phone
paired by Bluetooth? I know this is a holy war, but please keep it
civil! If you switched back, what made you do so? If you stuck it out,
why? If you've never even tried a smartphone, then no offense, but I
don't think your opinions will help me!

My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
(otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary? Are
there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone brings
up? How do you work around them? What benefits do smartphones have over
seperates?

Thanks, and sorry for being so long-winded. You can probably tell I'm
very fussy!

-zoara-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.

More about : treo organiser phone

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 3:36:44 AM

The Treo 600 will probably suit you. Some of the things that you ask for
requre other programs which are available but most of the things that you
want to do can be accomplished using the Treo straight out of the box.

The only thing that I find it lacking when compared with other smartphones
is the lack of bluetooth.

"zoara" <me3@privacy.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> paired by Bluetooth? I know this is a holy war, but please keep it
> civil! If you switched back, what made you do so? If you stuck it out,
> why? If you've never even tried a smartphone, then no offense, but I
> don't think your opinions will help me!
>
> My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
> did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
> (otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
> speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
> problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary? Are
> there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone brings
> up? How do you work around them? What benefits do smartphones have over
> seperates?
>
> Thanks, and sorry for being so long-winded. You can probably tell I'm

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 12:08:40 PM

I have a Treo 600 and straight out of the box, you can make, receive,
refuse, and silence calls with a hardware keypress or two. You can
also send and respond to texts, call up recent call lists, calling
voice mail, etc. While talking on the phone, you can use your PDA for
almost everything on the PDA. I say almost everything because with the
GSM Treo 600 because of technology limitations, you won't be able to
browse the web to check something out. I believe that you will be very
happy if you purchase it as long as you don't get a defective one and
have to deal with PalmOne's technical support.

/Jim

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in message news:<QIaYc.70619$Sd3.1650305@weber.videotron.net>...
> [...]
> > paired by Bluetooth? I know this is a holy war, but please keep it
> > civil! If you switched back, what made you do so? If you stuck it out,
> > why? If you've never even tried a smartphone, then no offense, but I
> > don't think your opinions will help me!
> >
> > My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
> > did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
> > (otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
> > speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
> > problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary? Are
> > there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone brings
> > up? How do you work around them? What benefits do smartphones have over
> > seperates?
> >
> > Thanks, and sorry for being so long-winded. You can probably tell I'm

August 29, 2004 4:56:21 PM

zoara <me3@privacy.net> wrote:

> In fact, are there any useability hacks out there
> specifically for the thumbboard? I'd like the idea of using all those
> hardware keys to launch favourite applications...

Further reading implies this is built-in, ie you can launch a web
browser by holding down "w". Is this correct? If so, then... cool.

-z-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

Jim Poon wrote:

> I have a Treo 600 and straight out of the box, you can make, receive,
> refuse, and silence calls with a hardware keypress or two. You can
> also send and respond to texts, call up recent call lists, calling
> voice mail, etc. While talking on the phone, you can use your PDA for
> almost everything on the PDA. I say almost everything because with the
> GSM Treo 600 because of technology limitations, you won't be able to
> browse the web to check something out.

Excuse me ? Why not ? I've used CSD and GPRS connections quite successfully
for WWW access since I got my 600. Blazer and AvantGo work as perfectly
adequate WWW browsers. The supplied mail software works well. TupGun ssh
works for direct login to my servers.

> I believe that you will be very
> happy if you purchase it as long as you don't get a defective one and
> have to deal with PalmOne's technical support.

--
+---+
| n | www.n-gate.net
+---+
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 8:48:07 PM

I'm not sure why not. All I know is that when I am using the GPRS
function heavily without interruption (such as streaming audio) and
someone attempts to call me, they will go directly to my voice mail.
It has happened to me a few times. If they leave me a voice mail
message, the SMS application automatically informs me that I have a
voice mail message. If I am using the "Web" or the mobile AvantGo
application on my Treo 600, the person will sometimes go directly to
my voice mail or sometimes my Treo 600 will ring. I am assuming that
this is because the "Web" application has some "breaks" in between the
downloading and if the person happens to call during these "breaks",
he/she gets through but this is just a guess as to what is happening.

I've never attempted to use the Web application while I was on a phone
call or use the streaming audio feature during a phone call.

I read somewhere (I'm not sure whether it was in the Treo 600 GSM
documentation or FAQ or whether it was with my provider's FAQ) that
GSM voice calls have priority over GPRS. Maybe it is just with my
provider's network.

/Jim

Angus Marshall <angus@n0sp4m.n-gate.n0sp4m.net.n0sp4m> wrote in message news:<cgstsg$i4f$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> Jim Poon wrote:
>
> > I have a Treo 600 and straight out of the box, you can make, receive,
> > refuse, and silence calls with a hardware keypress or two. You can
> > also send and respond to texts, call up recent call lists, calling
> > voice mail, etc. While talking on the phone, you can use your PDA for
> > almost everything on the PDA. I say almost everything because with the
> > GSM Treo 600 because of technology limitations, you won't be able to
> > browse the web to check something out.
>
> Excuse me ? Why not ? I've used CSD and GPRS connections quite successfully
> for WWW access since I got my 600. Blazer and AvantGo work as perfectly
> adequate WWW browsers. The supplied mail software works well. TupGun ssh
> works for direct login to my servers.
>
> > I believe that you will be very
> > happy if you purchase it as long as you don't get a defective one and
> > have to deal with PalmOne's technical support.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:09:30 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:36:43 +0100, me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:

<snip>
>2. Can anyone who has tried either the Treo or A. N. Other Smartphone
>and either loved it or hated it explain why, in their opinion,
>smartphones are better/worse than a combination of organiser and phone
>paired by Bluetooth?

1. One less gizmo to tote around.
2. One less thing to remember to recharge.
3. North American GSM networks are inferior to CMDA and analog, and since
Bluetooth is only (so far) available on GSM celfons, you're tied to a
system with inferior coverage when you go Bluetooth.

That's it.

For the record, I write for pdaphonehome.com, and have owned a Palm VII,
two VIIx, a Treo 180, a Samsung SPH-i300 and am on my second Tungsten W.

Get eGrips and put them on the back of whatever you stuff into your shirt
pocket, as Palms are allergic to being dropped and driven over by 4WDs.

>I know this is a holy war, but please keep it
>civil! If you switched back, what made you do so? If you stuck it out,
>why? If you've never even tried a smartphone, then no offense, but I
>don't think your opinions will help me!
>
>My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
>did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
>(otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
>speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
>problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary?

I just drop into speakerphone mode, go to whatever app I want to use, get
the data, and then read it to the other party.. then return to the phone
and drop out of speakerphone.

>Are
>there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone brings
>up?

If your smartphone of choice does not have swappable batteries (like the
Samsungs), then get an external recharger which uses AAs to rev-up the
internal battery. Model for my dub-ya osts about $15.

<snip>
--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

In article <1gj93wj.17p1vtg1swhebpN%me3@privacy.net>, nettid1@fastmail.fm wrote:

> 1. Is the Treo 600 a decent implementation of the smartphone concept?
>
> 2. Can anyone who has tried either the Treo or A. N. Other Smartphone
> and either loved it or hated it explain why, in their opinion,
> smartphones are better/worse than a combination of organiser and phone
> paired by Bluetooth?

You seem to have Internet access. If so, how about searching for reviews.
There are tons of them.

I think every major reviewer (see Mossberg in the WSJ in particular) has
called the Treo 600 the best combination of PDA and phone yet.

Also, go to www.palmsource.com and look under the "Handhelds &
Smartphones" tab. You'll find other smartphones using the Palm OS. You may
also like recent models from Kyocera and Samsung.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:52:38 AM

me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote in news:1gj93wj.17p1vtg1swhebpN%me3
@privacy.net:

> Is the Treo 600

Wait for the new Treo... it should be out shortly.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
September 1, 2004 2:55:14 PM

<yeltrabnhoj@email.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:36:43 +0100, me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >2. Can anyone who has tried either the Treo or A. N. Other Smartphone
> >and either loved it or hated it explain why, in their opinion,
> >smartphones are better/worse than a combination of organiser and phone
> >paired by Bluetooth?
>
> 1. One less gizmo to tote around.
> 2. One less thing to remember to recharge.

OK.

> 3. North American GSM networks are inferior to CMDA and analog, and since
> Bluetooth is only (so far) available on GSM celfons, you're tied to a
> system with inferior coverage when you go Bluetooth.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm in a country that actually has a decent
mobile network ;)  I'm in the UK, so we have excellent GSM services.

> That's it.

No problems with the PDA side of things making the phone side of things
awkward? When I used the P800 (flip removed), even things as simple as
answering the phone became an exercise in fiddly frustration. Maybe this
was a design flaw of the P800 rather than of smartphones in general....

> Get eGrips and put them on the back of whatever you stuff into your shirt
> pocket, as Palms are allergic to being dropped and driven over by 4WDs.

I use a jeans pocket, and don't have problems with dropping stuff :)  But
worth knowing anyway, thanks.

> >My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
> >did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
> >(otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
> >speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
> >problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary?
>
> I just drop into speakerphone mode, go to whatever app I want to use, get
> the data, and then read it to the other party.. then return to the phone
> and drop out of speakerphone.

Again, this was a somewhat fiddly affair on the P800. Can you switch
to/from speakerphone without using the touchscreen, ie hard keys only,
and if so, how? Oh - you're using a Tungsten W, aren't you...? Anyone
else use a Treo and know?

> >Are there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone
> >brings up?
>
> If your smartphone of choice does not have swappable batteries (like the
> Samsungs), then get an external recharger which uses AAs to rev-up the
> internal battery. Model for my dub-ya osts about $15.

Right, that's what I do with my Tungsten E. But I'd still call that an
issue :)  I don't want to have to tote a battery pack around just to make
sure my organiser/smartphone lasts a decent amount of time!

Thanks for the feedback!

-zoara-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:

> zoara <nettid1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > 1. Is the Treo 600 a decent implementation of the smartphone concept?
> >
> > 2. Can anyone who has tried either the Treo or A. N. Other Smartphone
> > and either loved it or hated it explain why, in their opinion,
> > smartphones are better/worse than a combination of organiser and phone
> > paired by Bluetooth?
>
> You seem to have Internet access. If so, how about searching for reviews.
> There are tons of them.

I have done. Even the detailed ones from the likes of Mobile Burn don't
really answer my questions (plus they tend to be written by people who
are already smitten with the smartphone concept - I value the opinions
of those who tried but didn't like it, because then I can see whether
the faults might affect me).

> I think every major reviewer (see Mossberg in the WSJ in particular) has
> called the Treo 600 the best combination of PDA and phone yet.

Yes, but I'm still not convinced that's like saying something is the
best combination of bicycle and lawnmower - too much of a compromise
(especially for someone as fussy as me)

> Also, go to www.palmsource.com and look under the "Handhelds &
> Smartphones" tab. You'll find other smartphones using the Palm OS. You may
> also like recent models from Kyocera and Samsung.

These are, unfortunately, not available on UK networks (AFAIK). And I
prefer the form-factor of the Treo (though am hesitant about the
thumbboard).

Thanks for the help!

-zoara-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

> me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote in news:1gj93wj.17p1vtg1swhebpN%me3
> @privacy.net:
>
> > Is the Treo 600
>
> Wait for the new Treo... it should be out shortly.

Uh huh. But no-one has it yet; I'm trying to gauge the feeling towards
smartphones in general and the PalmOne take on the concept before
impatiently waiting for the new Treo and flooding the internet with
*specific* questions about it ;)

Cheers,

-zoara-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

In article <1gjfka9.6gcshtqc6nbxN%me3@privacy.net>, nettid1@fastmail.fm wrote:

> Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
> > I think every major reviewer (see Mossberg in the WSJ in particular) has
> > called the Treo 600 the best combination of PDA and phone yet.
>
> Yes, but I'm still not convinced that's like saying something is the
> best combination of bicycle and lawnmower - too much of a compromise
> (especially for someone as fussy as me)

? But you're willing to be convinced by strangers who write their reviews here?
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:19:05 AM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:55:14 +0100, me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:

> Can you switch
>to/from speakerphone without using the touchscreen, ie hard keys only,
>and if so, how?

there's a big speakerphone button on the screen when on a call, shown
at http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/handspring-treo-600-review...

you can move the "focus" to that button with the 5 way thingy and
press the centre button of it to switch speakerphone on and off, so
the answer is yes.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Phil Thompson <phil.thompson@spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:55:14 +0100, me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote:
>
> > Can you switch
> >to/from speakerphone without using the touchscreen, ie hard keys only,
> >and if so, how?
>
> there's a big speakerphone button on the screen when on a call, shown
> at http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/handspring-treo-600-review...
>
> you can move the "focus" to that button with the 5 way thingy and
> press the centre button of it to switch speakerphone on and off, so
> the answer is yes.

Righto, thanks! Appreciate it.

-z-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:

> In article <1gjfka9.6gcshtqc6nbxN%me3@privacy.net>, nettid1@fastmail.fm wrote:
>
> > Guy Bannis <guy@ether.net> wrote:
> > > I think every major reviewer (see Mossberg in the WSJ in particular) has
> > > called the Treo 600 the best combination of PDA and phone yet.
> >
> > Yes, but I'm still not convinced that's like saying something is the
> > best combination of bicycle and lawnmower - too much of a compromise
> > (especially for someone as fussy as me)
>
> ? But you're willing to be convinced by strangers who write their reviews
> here?

Yes, because reviewers here will have lived with and depended on the
phone. "Major" reviewers typically have the unit on a short lease and
will write the review after a very short period of use; no time to find
the snags and hassles.

I value the opinions of those who have used an item - for some time -
than those who review for a living.

-z-

--
Sig wanted. Reward offered.
Anonymous

and who then wrote back later to say:

>No problems with the PDA side of things making the phone side of things
>awkward? When I used the P800 (flip removed), even things as simple as
>answering the phone became an exercise in fiddly frustration. Maybe this
>was a design flaw of the P800 rather than of smartphones in general....

With my Samsung SPH-i300, I see a dialog box supered over the other app. I
tap a soft button to answer, reject or mute the ringer, same as the dubya.

>> >My main concern is handling calls whilst using the organiser - the P800
>> >did this OK but not brilliantly. I don't want to carry a handsfree set
>> >(otherwise I may as well have a seperate phone and organiser) so I guess
>> >speakerphone is my only option? Have you found any solutions to the
>> >problem of talking whilst referring to notes or checking your diary?
>>
>> I just drop into speakerphone mode, go to whatever app I want to use, get
>> the data, and then read it to the other party.. then return to the phone
>> and drop out of speakerphone.
>
>Again, this was a somewhat fiddly affair on the P800. Can you switch
>to/from speakerphone without using the touchscreen, ie hard keys only,
>and if so, how? Oh - you're using a Tungsten W, aren't you...? Anyone
>else use a Treo and know?

With either the -i300 or the dubya, I use finger on touchscreen. No hard
keys for this function, sorry.

>> >Are there any other issues (such as battery life) that a smartphone
>> >brings up?
>>
>> If your smartphone of choice does not have swappable batteries (like the
>> Samsungs), then get an external recharger which uses AAs to rev-up the
>> internal battery. Model for my dub-ya osts about $15.
>
>Right, that's what I do with my Tungsten E. But I'd still call that an
>issue :)  I don't want to have to tote a battery pack around just to make
>sure my organiser/smartphone lasts a decent amount of time!

I get all day with it, but since I'm paranoid, I have the recharger in my
satchel, as well as a Proporta USB spooled charger/sync cable. But, then I
must carry the satchel for other things, and if I'm out and about without
the satchel, I get along fine without it.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:08:12 AM

nettid1@fastmail.fm wrote:

> > > Yes, but I'm still not convinced that's like saying something is the
> > > best combination of bicycle and lawnmower - too much of a compromise
> > > (especially for someone as fussy as me)
> >
> > ? But you're willing to be convinced by strangers who write their reviews
> > here?
>
> Yes, because reviewers here will have lived with and depended on the
> phone. "Major" reviewers typically have the unit on a short lease and
> will write the review after a very short period of use; no time to find
> the snags and hassles.
>
> I value the opinions of those who have used an item - for some time -
> than those who review for a living.

FYI, the reviewers I have known (e.g., for PC World) live with the devices
for a while, testing them under different real-world conditions, before
writing their reviews.
September 7, 2004 10:28:51 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:08:12 GMT, Guy Bannis wrote:

> FYI, the reviewers I have known (e.g., for PC World) live with the devices
> for a while, testing them under different real-world conditions, before
> writing their reviews.

It's been many years since I've read PC World (7 or 8), but one
reviewer your description calls to mind is Steve Bass. The PC
Magazine regulars seemed to be under pressure to churn out their
reviews.
!