Your question

Need something handheld to view large collection of .jpg files

Tags:
  • Google Earth
  • American
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
July 16, 2011 1:55:39 PM

Next year I will be hiking the American Discovery Trail which runs from coast to coast and follows established roads and trails. I'm currently using Google earth to plot my course at home. What I need is a mobile something that can handle screen caps taken with my home PC from Google earth of the map sections I will be traveling. I need to be able to pull these up while traveling the trail for a visual reference to supplement the text directions I will be taking with me. It needs to be smallish and light, so no large tablets and the like. Any suggestions?

More about : handheld view large collection jpg files

July 19, 2011 6:27:39 AM

iPod or iPhone type smartphone will do, right? Or flat car navigation
m
l
July 21, 2011 6:54:05 PM

hang-the-9 said:
What do you mean by a "large colelction"? You taking a thousand images with you?

Get something like this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rls=com.microsof...

Or if you just really want to look at static images
http://www.amazon.com/NIX-Cordless-Resolution-compared-... has a built-in battery

Or any smartphone will handle images, ipod touch (which you can get used for around $100 or so), etc...

Well, I don't want to use static images really, but saving all of the custom google maps I'm making at home to a device that I can use on the trail in offline mode is proving impossible. So I was thinking of taking screen caps of important parts, resupply points, POI's etc.. and just viewing them on a handheld device as needed. But honestly, taking screen caps of these things over a 6000+ mile route would be a hassle. Another way is to save the complete webpage of a trail segment and that way I have the scrollable waypoint list saved on the left side of the screen but a static map image. The GPS link you sent me looks great but I read through some of the reviews and it seems that it automatically decides the best route without a way to manually adjust it. Also another reviewer states that waypoints and routes cannot be saved to the MicroSD card and I need waypoints and routes.

So, I'm still kind of stuck with having static screenshots of the map handy, and for that I've been leaning towards an Android, which I've been told has an app called Locus that can import custom maps from my PC but not Google maps (legally). So if anyone has any info on Locus or any other app that would help me out please feel free...
m
l
July 21, 2011 7:04:11 PM

How about adding a smartphone to your cell plan (assuming you have one here), and using google app to dynamically look at stuff as you go? You can get a used phone or an upgrade to your current phone, and add a basic data plan for $15 a month or so which will be enough unless you start streaming videos or something.

This will depend on service in the area where you are going though. Or how about taking a screen video of the route as it's generated in google earth, saving that to a movie format you can play on a portable device, then you can just play / rewind as you need and not have to skip around. Programs like FRAPS can record the screen as you view it.
m
l
July 22, 2011 6:06:12 AM

SiOps said:
Next year I will be hiking the American Discovery Trail which runs from coast to coast and follows established roads and trails. I'm currently using Google earth to plot my course at home. What I need is a mobile something that can handle screen caps taken with my home PC from Google earth of the map sections I will be traveling. I need to be able to pull these up while traveling the trail for a visual reference to supplement the text directions I will be taking with me. It needs to be smallish and light, so no large tablets and the like. Any suggestions?

Hey, I'm cycling the ADT next year! I'm also considering the same thing- leaning towards a Google phone. If I'm not mistaken, the Google Maps can be saved offline and include 3d street views- but I'm still unclear on that. I'll post back when I do my homework.

Likewise, I'm plotting my course in Google Earth. Did you purchase the GPS waypoints? My gmail is john.g.howard - Could you send me some mail? I'd like to correspond with you off list.
m
l
!