caps, scroll and number lock grey message box

Mike

Splendid

Hi, I was hoping to get some assistance please, when I press any of the caps,
number and scroll lock keys, a grey message box is appearing just above my
taskbar notification area in bottom right hand corner of screen.

The message box informs me that the lock functions are being turned on or
off. all accesibility functions are off, I have not inten tionally installed
software that should cause this.

Would appreciate any help to get rid of this irritation. Norton anti virus,
and pest patrol showed nothing of concern.

Thanks.

Check your settings at;
Control Panel|Accessibility|Keyboard

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
| Hi, I was hoping to get some assistance please, when I press any of the
caps,
| number and scroll lock keys, a grey message box is appearing just above my
| taskbar notification area in bottom right hand corner of screen.
|
| The message box informs me that the lock functions are being turned on or
| off. all accesibility functions are off, I have not inten tionally
installed
| software that should cause this.
|
| Would appreciate any help to get rid of this irritation. Norton anti
virus,
| and pest patrol showed nothing of concern.
|
| Thanks.

Mike

Splendid

All my accessibility options are turned off, when booting in safe mode the
message box does not appear when pressing lock keys.

If i wish to identify what is causing this message to appear, use msconfig
right?
To select what is loaded during boot up, uncheck all items in startup and
services list, then systematically select them?

Cheers

"David Candy" wrote:

> Sticky Keys. You did configure it as it is not enabled unless you enable it. You may have pressed Shift 5 times to do so. And you agreed with the dialog that poped up (you do read dialogs, don't you?) to have it on.
>
> Accessibility
> a.. Accessibility Keys
> b.. Accessibility Tips
> c.. Mouse Keys
> [Back to Contents]
>
> Accessibility Keys
> Note: These keys can be disabled and Accessibility options set in Accessibility in Control Panel.
>
> Key Description
> Hold Right Shift for eight seconds Switch FilterKeys on and off.
> Left Alt + Left Shift + Prt Scn Switch High Contrast on and off.
> Left Alt + Left Shift + Num Lock Switch MouseKeys on and off.
> Shift x 5 Switch StickyKeys on and off.
> Hold Num Lock for five seconds Switch ToggleKeys on and off
> Winkey + U Starts Utility Manager
>
> [Back to Accessibility Contents]
>
> Accessibility Tips
> While Accessibility is geared to people who need assistance in using a computer it includes nifty features for everyone. Some things that can be done;
>

> a.. Sticky Keys allows one to press and release a modifier key and have it toggle on. Instead of pressing Ctrl + S to save a file, pressing Ctrl THEN S will save the file. Press once to modify the next key only, press twice to lock and to modify all subsequent key presses untill pressed a third time.
> b.. Toggle Keys makes the toggle keys (Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock) make a tone when pressed. See another tip about Caps Lock at the end of the next section (Entering International Characters).
> c.. The Display tab in Accessibility in Control Panel can change the width of the caret (text cursor).
> d.. Mouse Keys allow one to use the numeric keypad as a mouse.
> e.. On Screen Keyboard (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Accessibility or Winkey + U) allows typing with only a mouse.

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2903C6A6-EE23-41F3-B51B-7F25F02C6963@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I was hoping to get some assistance please, when I press any of the caps,
> > number and scroll lock keys, a grey message box is appearing just above my
> > taskbar notification area in bottom right hand corner of screen.
> >
> > The message box informs me that the lock functions are being turned on or
> > off. all accesibility functions are off, I have not inten tionally installed
> > software that should cause this.
> >
> > Would appreciate any help to get rid of this irritation. Norton anti virus,
> > and pest patrol showed nothing of concern.
> >
> > Thanks

Mike

Splendid

Have found what was causing it, keyboard was somehow set to wireless
keyboard, though I had not changed the setting myself.