What Keeps Disabling Rercording on CD-Writers Under WinXP ..

It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or anyone
else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've placed on the
Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have several on this
computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So, I'd very much
appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks from being
removed.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

Malke

AA Smith wrote:

> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
> placed on the
> Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have several on
> this
> computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So, I'd very much
> appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks from being
> removed.

Do you have third-party recording software installed?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi Dick,

If any third party recording software is installed, then the native one will
be disabled. The box on the recording tab of the drive properties pertains
to the native burning software. Having both it (the imapi burning service,
specifically) and a third party program (Nero, Roxio, etc.) loading at boot
will cause conflicts, so the native one is disabled.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
> placed on the Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have
> several on this computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So,
> I'd very much appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks
> from being removed.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith

Gee! How utterly disgusting. Guess that's something to address in a
Microsoft Wish suggestion, though it really shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks anyway, Rick
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
> Hi Dick,
>
> If any third party recording software is installed, then the native one
> will be disabled. The box on the recording tab of the drive properties
> pertains to the native burning software. Having both it (the imapi burning
> service, specifically) and a third party program (Nero, Roxio, etc.)

> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
>> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
>> placed on the Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have
>> several on this computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So,
>> I'd very much appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks
>> from being removed.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith

Hi, Malke! Yes, I have several: SonicStage, Nero, Power DVD, and perhaps
one or two more.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
> AA Smith wrote:
>
>> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
>> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
>> placed on the
>> Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have several on
>> this
>> computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So, I'd very much
>> appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks from being
>> removed.
>
> Do you have third-party recording software installed?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

AA Smith wrote:

> Hi, Malke! Yes, I have several: SonicStage, Nero, Power DVD, and
> perhaps one or two more.

I see that Rick Rogers also asked you that and you've confirmed that you
have other burning software. That is why XP's built-in burning
capability is being disabled. If you have third-party burning software,
you really don't want XP's anyway - it is far more limited than the
other programs you have.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks, again, Malke!

I just can't fathom why WinXP Pro can't leave the setting of the Enable
Recording check box alone. Having to frequently re-check that box is a
major pain for me.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
> AA Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi, Malke! Yes, I have several: SonicStage, Nero, Power DVD, and
>> perhaps one or two more.
>
> I see that Rick Rogers also asked you that and you've confirmed that you
> have other burning software. That is why XP's built-in burning
> capability is being disabled. If you have third-party burning software,
> you really don't want XP's anyway - it is far more limited than the
> other programs you have.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

AA Smith wrote:

> Thanks, again, Malke!
>
> I just can't fathom why WinXP Pro can't leave the setting of the
> Enable
> Recording check box alone. Having to frequently re-check that box is
> a major pain for me.

It probably isn't Windows that is changing the setting. It is probably
one of the third-party burning programs changing the settings to
prevent conflicts and problems.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

It's a basic program meant to provide basic functionality. If you install
something else, then it gets (and should be) disabled, as it will not be
needed. Its function is supplanted by whatever software you installed.

--

> Gee! How utterly disgusting. Guess that's something to address in a
> Microsoft Wish suggestion, though it really shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Thanks anyway, Rick
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
>> Hi Dick,
>>
>> If any third party recording software is installed, then the native one
>> will be disabled. The box on the recording tab of the drive properties
>> pertains to the native burning software. Having both it (the imapi
>> burning service, specifically) and a third party program (Nero, Roxio,
>> etc.) loading at boot will cause conflicts, so the native one is
>> disabled.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
>>> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
>>> placed on the Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have
>>> several on this computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So,
>>> I'd very much appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check
>>> marks from being removed.
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards,
>>>
>>> Dick Smith

It's not WinXP disabling it, it's the other programs. They do this by design
to prevent conflicts that would cause all the recording programs to stop
functioning properly. If you want to use the native burning software,
uninstall the other programs. Otherwise, stop trying to override the very
function that is protecting you from screwing up the burning programs. If
you force both/all to run, then you *WILL* have conflicts and you *WILL*
have problems using *ANY* and *ALL* of the burning software.

--

> Thanks, again, Malke!
>
> I just can't fathom why WinXP Pro can't leave the setting of the Enable
> Recording check box alone. Having to frequently re-check that box is a
> major pain for me.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> AA Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Malke! Yes, I have several: SonicStage, Nero, Power DVD, and
>>> perhaps one or two more.
>>
>> I see that Rick Rogers also asked you that and you've confirmed that you
>> have other burning software. That is why XP's built-in burning
>> capability is being disabled. If you have third-party burning software,
>> you really don't want XP's anyway - it is far more limited than the
>> other programs you have.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

What has it to do with Microsoft. Complain to the program that turns it off.

"AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23UoLTQbeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Gee! How utterly disgusting. Guess that's something to address in a
> Microsoft Wish suggestion, though it really shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Thanks anyway, Rick
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
>> Hi Dick,
>>
>> If any third party recording software is installed, then the native one
>> will be disabled. The box on the recording tab of the drive properties
>> pertains to the native burning software. Having both it (the imapi burning
>> service, specifically) and a third party program (Nero, Roxio, etc.)
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> It seems like every time I turn around something (certainly not me or
>>> anyone else that uses this computer) removes the check mark that I've
>>> placed on the Recording tab of the Properties for my CD-Writers. I have
>>> several on this computer. This is getting to be a major nuisance. So,
>>> I'd very much appreciate instructions on how to prevent those check marks
>>> from being removed.
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards,
>>>
>>> Dick Smith

That's interesting... I have NERO installed and do not recall ever having a
problem using the internal XP burning option. You did have me curious so
checked the burn tab on the drive selected for XP to use as its designated
drive. Sure that the limitation to one drive is now well know. The check
mark is still there to use this drive for burning with XP and works just
fine.

FWIW,
Len

> It's not WinXP disabling it, it's the other programs. They do this by
> design to prevent conflicts that would cause all the recording programs to
> stop functioning properly. If you want to use the native burning software,
> uninstall the other programs. Otherwise, stop trying to override the very
> function that is protecting you from screwing up the burning programs. If
> you force both/all to run, then you *WILL* have conflicts and you *WILL*
> have problems using *ANY* and *ALL* of the burning software.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, again, Malke!
>>
>> I just can't fathom why WinXP Pro can't leave the setting of the Enable
>> Recording check box alone. Having to frequently re-check that box is a
>> major pain for me.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith
>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> I see that Rick Rogers also asked you that and you've confirmed that you
>>> have other burning software. That is why XP's built-in burning
>>> capability is being disabled. If you have third-party burning software,
>>> you really don't want XP's anyway - it is far more limited than the
>>> other programs you have.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

frodo

It depends on your version of Nero, and if you have IN-CD installed. Make
sure you have the latest update for your version, from the Ahead site. If
you use In-CD the built-in MUST be turned off.

Nero runs a startup task called nerocheck.exe that turns off the built-in.
You can disable the running of this startup and the check box will remain
set; when you explicitly run Nero it will communicate w/ the imap service
and ensure Nero works properly alongside the built-in.

TRENDING THREADS