I had XP SP1 installed on my PC. It got to the point where I had no option
but to install SP2. Since then, my PC is taking 10 times (literally) longer
to bootup. Opening My Computer cause the newly opened window to appear blank
with just an animated flash light. The PC's CPU utilization is always around
3%. I tried opening my Sony Video Vegas 5.0d and it took ages to open. When
I click File Open, and try to select a new folder, it sits there for about 2
minutes doing nothing (like a hung app) and then appears with the new
folder. If I try to navigate to another folder, same thing.

I narrowed down the problem to Windows Image Aquisition service. To fix the
problem I had to disable this service, but now my scanner does not appear in
Scanners & Cameras and the HP software doesn't fire up coz it can't find the
scanner. My Zone Alarm also crashed and would not start, but I fixed that by
re-installing ZA. The reason why I am blaming DEP (Data Execution
Protection) is because I am hearing that DEP is causing problems on other
ppls PCs. I tried to setup the HP software and ZA in the Exception part of
DEP, but it didn't make a difference.

Can someone suggest why this is happening and how to fix it?

P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM
HP5400C scanner
HP7960 Colour Deskjet

--

+-- Julian

You could try disabling DEP. edit your boot.ini file and change
/noexecute=optin to /noexecute=AlwaysOff
See this page
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875352#5

Jim M

"Julian Milano" <jdmils@datafast.net.au> wrote in message
>I had XP SP1 installed on my PC. It got to the point where I had no option
>but to install SP2. Since then, my PC is taking 10 times (literally) longer
>to bootup. Opening My Computer cause the newly opened window to appear
>blank with just an animated flash light. The PC's CPU utilization is always
>around 3%. I tried opening my Sony Video Vegas 5.0d and it took ages to
>open. When I click File Open, and try to select a new folder, it sits there
>for about 2 minutes doing nothing (like a hung app) and then appears with
>the new folder. If I try to navigate to another folder, same thing.
>
> I narrowed down the problem to Windows Image Aquisition service. To fix
> the problem I had to disable this service, but now my scanner does not
> appear in Scanners & Cameras and the HP software doesn't fire up coz it
> can't find the scanner. My Zone Alarm also crashed and would not start,
> but I fixed that by re-installing ZA. The reason why I am blaming DEP
> (Data Execution Protection) is because I am hearing that DEP is causing
> problems on other ppls PCs. I tried to setup the HP software and ZA in the
> Exception part of DEP, but it didn't make a difference.
>
> Can someone suggest why this is happening and how to fix it?
>

> P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM
> HP5400C scanner
> HP7960 Colour Deskjet
>
> --
> |
> +-- Julian

"Julian Milano" <jdmils@datafast.net.au> wrote in message
>I had XP SP1 installed on my PC. It got to the point where I had no option
>but to install SP2. Since then, my PC is taking 10 times (literally) longer
>to bootup. Opening My Computer cause the newly opened window to appear
>blank with just an animated flash light. The PC's CPU utilization is always
>around 3%. I tried opening my Sony Video Vegas 5.0d and it took ages to
>open. When I click File Open, and try to select a new folder, it sits there
>for about 2 minutes doing nothing (like a hung app) and then appears with
>the new folder. If I try to navigate to another folder, same thing.
>
> I narrowed down the problem to Windows Image Aquisition service. To fix
> the problem I had to disable this service, but now my scanner does not
> appear in Scanners & Cameras and the HP software doesn't fire up coz it
> can't find the scanner. My Zone Alarm also crashed and would not start,
> but I fixed that by re-installing ZA. The reason why I am blaming DEP
> (Data Execution Protection) is because I am hearing that DEP is causing
> problems on other ppls PCs. I tried to setup the HP software and ZA in the
> Exception part of DEP, but it didn't make a difference.
>
> Can someone suggest why this is happening and how to fix it?
>

> P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM
> HP5400C scanner
> HP7960 Colour Deskjet
>
> --
> |
> +-- Julian

It is probably not DEP. DEP usually gives you an error message if that is
the problem. I would suspect a program or driver that uses the Image
Aquisition service. First thing I would do is make sure you have the latest
drivers for the scanner.

Kerry

TRENDING THREADS