Sign in with
Your question

Strange USB port behavior

Last response: in Windows 7
August 24, 2012 9:01:37 AM

The essentials:
Hi. I built my own PC, using an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard, an i7-2700K, and a CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced full tower case. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing unusual issues with my USB ports. All of them. Both the USB ports directly on the motherboard and the USB ports on the front of the case are not functioning correctly. The best I can describe is that they seem to be "stuttering" or "dropping" connection. For example, my mouse (a Microsoft Wireless Mobile 6000) sometimes stutters, and suffers serious lag, yet functions perfectly fine on my older, weaker laptop. My USB WiFi adaptor (a simple Belkin N150 adaptor) occasionally drops the connection entirely before reconnecting a few seconds later. It's also currently stating that it has "no internet access" despite the fact that the internet access does indeed seem to be working.

I initially presumed this would be an issue with drivers, but I installed most the drivers on the motherboard's driver page (with the exception of the CIR receiver driver, as I don't have a remote; the RAID driver, as I only have a single HDD; the Appcharger driver, as I don't care to charge devices on my computer when it's off; the Smart Connect driver, as it seems completely useless to me; and both the Rapid Start and Rapid Storage drivers, which required my computer be in AHCI mode, which looked rather difficult and seemed quite optional to me). So in other words, I have the INF driver, the audio driver, the LAN driver, the Lucid virtu driver, the USB 3.0 driver, the VGA driver, the driver for my GTX-560 Ti, drivers for both my mouse and my keyboard, and the driver for my WiFi adaptor. All of those are fully up to date, as was Windows.

The strangest part is that these things seem to happen at random. The WiFi adaptor loses connection at random points of time, the mouse sometimes works fine for a while, only to jam up for the next five minutes.

What I've tried so far:
Naturally, I tried to solve the issue for myself before running over to you guys here. I've had this computer about two months (although switched to the new case from a generic one two weeks ago). The problem was always present, but for some reason, before I switched cases, the case USB ports seemed to work fine, even though the USB ports on the motherboard itself didn't. However, after switching cases, the problem became apparent on all USB ports, reminding me of the necessity of solving this issue.
  • I've reset the CMOS. I tried both pressing the "reset CMOS" button built into the motherboard and removing the battery for thirty minutes.
  • I've reinstalled Windows and reformatted the drive.
  • I made sure that "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the device manager was unchecked
  • I tried disabling the USB hubs in device manager and restarting
  • I let Windows search for driver updates on every USB device in device manager
  • I ran a third party "driver finder" (Device Doctor), which claimed to find two USB related drivers, but the downloads had Gigabyte and Asus in their name, which leads me to believe the whole program is just a scam (this is an Asrock motherboard, after all)
  • Restarting the computer after trying all of these
  • I tried multiple USB ports. All of them, actually.
  • I verified my devices work correctly on other computers. I believe the issue lies either with my motherboard or with my drivers (the 2700K is top notch, and I experience no performance issues software-side)
  • The USB headers are correctly plugged in. The PSU is a 750W; more than enough for my single graphics card setup.
  • No viruses or malware, according to Avast and Malwarebytes

Extra info (which may or may not be of any relevance):
    Prior to reinstalling Windows, when I tried to switch the USB receiver for my mouse to a different port, there was a ~2 minute delay as windows "searched for the driver", during which time the mouse didn't work at all. After the mouse started working again, a program popped up, stating it was downloading a program for the mouse, although performance wasn't improved once that download was complete.

I'm a bit confused by what device manager tells me. Under the USB controllers section, there are two "generic USB hubs". Inspecting the properties of them tell me that they are the hubs on the case and on the motherboard, as the power section describes what's plugged in correctly. On the case USB hub, my mouse is using 100mA, the WiFi adapter is using 500mA (the max amount per port, according to the properties), and my external hard drive is using 2mA (with one port unused). On the motherboard USB hub, the keyboard is using 100mA (with seven ports unused). Then there is a "Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26" and a "Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D". There are also two entries of "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Detection Driver (USB)" (which are the mouse and keyboard, which are both Microsoft products). But the confusing part is that there are also two entries titled "USB root hub". What's unusual about these is that the power tabs on these show nothing is connected to these, but they have "free USB ports". The location in the properties says they're on the Intel 6 series/C200 series chipset family USB enhanced host controllers. No idea if any of that means anything.

The USB 3.0 port on the motherboard exhibits the same results (although all my devices are USB 2.0). The USB 3.0 ports on the case don't work, as I can't figure out how to connect it to my motherboard (on an unrelated note: they actually neither a USB 3.0 passthrough cable (which would plug into one of the motherboard's USB 3.0 ports) nor a 20 pin connector (which my motherboard doesn't have a port for anyway). Instead, it looks exactly like a SATA cable, although plugging it into a SATA port on the motherboard doesn't allow anything plugged into the USB 3.0 ports to be recognized. The case was purchased from Newegg).

I'm not sure if this affects all my USB devices equally. The mouse is very noticeable when it stutters, as it's often in use. Same with the WiFi adapter, as it's constantly in use. I've seen a few instances of missed keys when typing, although the keyboard isn't used as often as my mouse (even though typing this lengthy post up had no issues with the keyboard at all, despite seeing the WiFi adapter and mouse both stutter during that period of time). I've seen no connection issues with my external hard drive (which is powered externally).

TL;DR:
    The USB ports on my PC are stuttering, causing my mouse to stutter and my WiFi adapter to reset at random intervals. I've tried everything. Please help.
    a c 170 V Motherboard
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 24, 2012 9:14:49 AM

The ASRock motherboards use an EFI firmware implementation which is often stored on a 64mbit flash chip along with the settings. Pulling the battery is not guaranteed to reset settings.

It also has an ASMedia 1042 XHCI controller. There have been a number of firmware updates for this device to resolve compatibility issues.

Grab firmware version 12220E from the page below and use a bootable FreeDOS CD / USB to flash the new firmware to the controller

http://station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

You can also get the drivers from the same site. Asus and Gigabyte use the same chip and drivers for their motherboards so Driver Finder isn't lying to you (although I still wouldn't use it).
    m
    l
    August 26, 2012 9:49:44 AM

Pinhedd said:
    The ASRock motherboards use an EFI firmware implementation which is often stored on a 64mbit flash chip along with the settings. Pulling the battery is not guaranteed to reset settings.

It also has an ASMedia 1042 XHCI controller. There have been a number of firmware updates for this device to resolve compatibility issues.

Grab firmware version 12220E from the page below and use a bootable FreeDOS CD / USB to flash the new firmware to the controller

http://station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

You can also get the drivers from the same site. Asus and Gigabyte use the same chip and drivers for their motherboards so Driver Finder isn't lying to you (although I still wouldn't use it).
    Unfortunately, the strange traits are still occuring. (PS: if anyone ends up here trying to figure out how to install firmware like this, this page on creating a DOS flash drive is invaluable).

Do the USB hubs have some specific driver they may need, or could this perhaps be a hardware issue? Is there any way to tell if that'd be the case?
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 170 V Motherboard
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 26, 2012 10:07:09 AM

Ethya said:
    Unfortunately, the strange traits are still occuring. (PS: if anyone ends up here trying to figure out how to install firmware like this, this page on creating a DOS flash drive is invaluable).

Do the USB hubs have some specific driver they may need, or could this perhaps be a hardware issue? Is there any way to tell if that'd be the case?

Yes, the driver is available on the same page
    m
    l
    August 26, 2012 10:54:35 AM

Pinhedd said:
    Yes, the driver is available on the same page

Yeah, I installed that too, after updating the firmware. Is that the only driver influencing the USB ports?
    m
    l
    a c 170 V Motherboard
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 26, 2012 11:33:41 AM

Ethya said:
    Yeah, I installed that too, after updating the firmware. Is that the only driver influencing the USB ports?

The Intel chipset drivers influence the Intel USB ports on the PCH
    m
    l
    !