Daniel

I am trying to create a boot floppy with ASR Wizard, I follow the
instructions
with the ASR Wizard.
The KB article says,

"Only those system files necessary for starting up your system will be
backed up by this procedure"

but the Wizard is backing up photos, documents and other irrelevant info in
non system folders.
I do not get the opportunity to select any folders to be backed up.
What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Daniel

An ASR backup (used for disaster recovery) is a "complete" backup of your
Windows partition. You can NOT choose to be selective about this backup. It
copies everything!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a boot floppy with ASR Wizard, I follow the
>instructions
> with the ASR Wizard.
> The KB article says,
>
> "Only those system files necessary for starting up your system will be
> backed up by this procedure"
>
> but the Wizard is backing up photos, documents and other irrelevant info
> in non system folders.
> I do not get the opportunity to select any folders to be backed up.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Okay, but that is not what it says in the KB and
it is backing up stuff on my second hard drive??
The file is 11 GIG!!!
Daniel
> An ASR backup (used for disaster recovery) is a "complete" backup of your
> Windows partition. You can NOT choose to be selective about this backup.
> It copies everything!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message
>>I am trying to create a boot floppy with ASR Wizard, I follow the
>>instructions
>> with the ASR Wizard.
>> The KB article says,
>>
>> "Only those system files necessary for starting up your system will be
>> backed up by this procedure"
>>
>> but the Wizard is backing up photos, documents and other irrelevant info
>> in non system folders.
>> I do not get the opportunity to select any folders to be backed up.
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

After the .bkf file is completed and your ASR floppy made DO NOT change any partition size or letter assignment. If you do, when ASR runs any changed items will be formatted to what they were when the ASR set was made. Your system drive can be replaced with the same size or a larger HDD.

The message below is from 5-25-2003:

Yes, the help file is incorrect.

Sometimes I download a piece of junk that really screws up my system. I have gotten more selective over the last 2 years.

If you have multiple drives in removable trays you can copy one and restore it to another drive. Set up different programs on each , beta test programs, etc.

Never had a virus propagate itself on my system, but if 1 did I have a way to wipe the drive and begin again where I was.

I keep all "My documents" and downloads on a separate drive but in experimenting with ASR I kept them on that drive. That is why I know what it can do.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
"Rojo" <Rojo.editor@verizon.net> wrote in message news:u1FysjxIDHA.1772@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| That means that Windows Help is wrong, certainly not an inconceivable
| notion. I copied this from the XP Help article in ASR:
| a.. Only those system files necessary for starting up your system will be
| backed up by this procedure. To backup your data, see Backing up files and
| folders.
|
| Why do you have to frequently restore your system?

---

Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Daniel" <none@none> wrote in message news:eRJ2ZadeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Okay, but that is not what it says in the KB and
| it is backing up stuff on my second hard drive??
| The file is 11 GIG!!!
| Daniel

frodo

BTW, ASR will NOT work right w/ XP Home (see the readme). It will appear
to make the backup and floppy just fine, but the restore will never
work correctly.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

frodo@theshire.org wrote:

> BTW, ASR will NOT work right w/ XP Home (see the readme). It will appear
> to make the backup and floppy just fine, but the restore will never
> work correctly.

You need to quote at least a portion of the message to which you reply.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Daniel

All a moot point when the backup file
is 11 GIG!!
"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> frodo@theshire.org wrote:
>
>> BTW, ASR will NOT work right w/ XP Home (see the readme). It will appear
>> to make the backup and floppy just fine, but the restore will never work
>> correctly.
>
> You need to quote at least a portion of the message to which you reply.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Don't understand this comment!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Daniel" <Daniel@nowhere> wrote in message
> All a moot point when the backup file
> is 11 GIG!!
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> frodo@theshire.org wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, ASR will NOT work right w/ XP Home (see the readme). It will
>>> appear to make the backup and floppy just fine, but the restore will
>>> never work correctly.
>>
>> You need to quote at least a portion of the message to which you reply.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Daniel wrote:

> All a moot point when the backup file
> is 11 GIG!!
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>frodo@theshire.org wrote:
>>

>>>BTW, ASR will NOT work right w/ XP Home (see the readme). It will appear
>>>to make the backup and floppy just fine, but the restore will never work
>>>correctly.
>>
>>You need to quote at least a portion of the message to which you reply.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Not sure what you mean but the backup file is not placed on the floppy
disk.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Daniel

No, but the backup file needs to stay on the hard drive and 11 GIG is space
I do not have on an ongoing basis.
I do not understand why 11 GIG of info is required when there are only
"System" files being backed up.

cheers

Daniel
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> All a moot point when the backup file
>> is 11 GIG!!
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>>You need to quote at least a portion of the message to which you reply.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Rock
>>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>>

> Not sure what you mean but the backup file is not placed on the floppy
> disk.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Daniel,

Your whole Windows partition is being backed up - everything on it!

As was mentioned to you before!

--

> No, but the backup file needs to stay on the hard drive and 11 GIG is
> space I do not have on an ongoing basis.
> I do not understand why 11 GIG of info is required when there are only
> "System" files being backed up.
>
> cheers
>
> Daniel
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Daniel wrote:
>>
>>> All a moot point when the backup file
>>> is 11 GIG!!
>>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>> Not sure what you mean but the backup file is not placed on the floppy
>> disk.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Daniel wrote:

> No, but the backup file needs to stay on the hard drive and 11 GIG is space
> I do not have on an ongoing basis.
> I do not understand why 11 GIG of info is required when there are only
> "System" files being backed up.
>
> cheers
>
> Daniel
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Daniel wrote:
>>

>>>All a moot point when the backup file
>>>is 11 GIG!!
>>>"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>Not sure what you mean but the backup file is not placed on the floppy
>>disk.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

ASR is not selective. It backs up everything as Richard said. Don't
bother with Ntbackup. There are much better backup solutions such as a
drive imaging program - Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, BootIt NG, or
a one that is very similar but much better capabilities than ntbackup -
Stompsoft's Backup MyPC.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Daniel

Okay, I have Ghost so I will use that,
pity though, I tend to prefer MS software, it is
usually much easier to use and understand.

thanks

Danuel