  • Microsoft
  • Internet Connection
  • Windows XP
June 26, 2005 12:42:59 AM

Why does XP create a network connection & a seperate internet connection to
the host when the network connection carries all protocols?

Can I delete the internet connection or does it have some special purpose?

More about : network connections

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:43:00 AM

Depends why you need it. You may be using a PPPoE connection, in which
case, you need a setup for the NIC, and one for the PPPoE connection.

You're going to have to provide more information...

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

In article <nljve.115$ZR1.9@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, "JethroUK©"
<reply@the.board> wrote:
>Why does XP create a network connection & a seperate internet connection to
>the host when the network connection carries all protocols?
>
>Can I delete the internet connection or does it have some special purpose?

Do you mean that a client computer shows an Internet connection
labeled as an "Internet Gateway"? If so, that connection represents
the host's Internet connection, and it lets the client computer
monitor and control the host's Internet connection. With a dial-up
Internet connection, the client can make the host dial or hang up the
phone, which is a great convenience when the host and client are in
different physical locations.

To remove that connection from the client, do this on the host
computer:

1. Right-click the shared Internet connection.
2. Click Advanced.
3. Un-check "Allow other network users to control or disable the
shared Internet connection".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com