Why 2 network connections

Why does XP create a network connection & a seperate internet connection to
the host when the network connection carries all protocols?

Can I delete the internet connection or does it have some special purpose?
3 answers Last reply
More about network connections

    Depends why you need it. You may be using a PPPoE connection, in which
    case, you need a setup for the NIC, and one for the PPPoE connection.

    You're going to have to provide more information...

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    In article <nljve.115$ZR1.9@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, "JethroUK©"
    <reply@the.board> wrote:
    >Why does XP create a network connection & a seperate internet connection to
    >the host when the network connection carries all protocols?
    >
    >Can I delete the internet connection or does it have some special purpose?

    Do you mean that a client computer shows an Internet connection
    labeled as an "Internet Gateway"? If so, that connection represents
    the host's Internet connection, and it lets the client computer
    monitor and control the host's Internet connection. With a dial-up
    Internet connection, the client can make the host dial or hang up the
    phone, which is a great convenience when the host and client are in
    different physical locations.

    To remove that connection from the client, do this on the host
    computer:

    1. Right-click the shared Internet connection.
    2. Click Advanced.
    3. Un-check "Allow other network users to control or disable the
    shared Internet connection".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    p.s. I only have one nic

    "JethroUK©" <reply@the.board> wrote in message
    > Why does XP create a network connection & a seperate internet connection
    > the host when the network connection carries all protocols?
    >
    > Can I delete the internet connection or does it have some special purpose?

Network Connection Microsoft Internet Connection Windows XP