DOS Compatibility

In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
program.

Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.

We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.

Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?

Look forward to your comments.
--
Horatio T Zilch
35 answers Last reply

    horatio wrote:
    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
    > program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
    > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.

    Explain more. Most well-behaved DOS programs should be
    able to run in the DOS box or under the DOS emulator in
    both Windows XP and Windows 2000. In reference to a very
    ancient DOS accounting program, viz., PeachTree for DOS,
    it runs satisfactorily in its own box.

    Are there any special requirements that are needed for these
    programs, e.g., DOS extenders, expanded memory, etc.? A peek
    at the Win98 (or DOS) autoexec.bat and config.sys file may
    provide a hint of what might need to be done in setting up
    these programs in Windows XP or 2000.

    Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator in Windows XP?
    ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows XP? Because it sure
    won't install any DOS programs.

    In news:BBFC4298-CCCF-4FDF-AB2D-D94D731F405B@microsoft.com,
    dragonfire1v <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator
    > in
    > Windows XP?

    I'm not Mistoffolees, but you can get to the command prompt, by
    going to Start | Run, and typing CMD.

    > ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows
    > XP?

    You certainly can.

    > Because it sure won't install any DOS programs.

    No, that's false. There may be *some* DOS programs that don't
    work under Windows XP (in general, those that access the hardware
    directly), but it's far from true that it "won't install any DOS
    programs."

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I'm no expert!!!

    To install two of the DOS programs, I literally copied the entire directory
    for the program from the old computer. I used PKZIP and copied onto 3.5"
    floppies. Created the desired directory on the new computer (XP), using
    Explorer selected the program .EXE file, created a desktop icon and attempted
    to opened the .EXE file.

    Our estimating/invoicing program is set up on a network. Therefore, I
    didn't copy the program to the XP machine. I did route to the server. It
    just won't open.

    On the other two programs (WordPerfect 5.1 and Lotus 1-2-3), copied files.
    WordPerfect works fine. Lotus 1-2-3 wont open correctly.
    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    I wouldn't say the estimating/invoicing program (printLEADER) is acient -
    circa 1996/7. The Lotus 1-2-3 program is circa 1991.

    I'm not familiar with the "DOS emulator." Could you give a little more info
    here.

    Thanx
    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    "Mistoffolees" wrote:

    > horatio wrote:
    > > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
    > > program.
    > >
    > > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
    > > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    > >
    > > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    > >
    > > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    > >
    > > Look forward to your comments.
    >
    > Explain more. Most well-behaved DOS programs should be
    > able to run in the DOS box or under the DOS emulator in
    > both Windows XP and Windows 2000. In reference to a very
    > ancient DOS accounting program, viz., PeachTree for DOS,
    > it runs satisfactorily in its own box.
    >
    > Are there any special requirements that are needed for these
    > programs, e.g., DOS extenders, expanded memory, etc.? A peek
    > at the Win98 (or DOS) autoexec.bat and config.sys file may
    > provide a hint of what might need to be done in setting up
    > these programs in Windows XP or 2000.

    Microsoft Virtual PC allows you to create an run earlier OS'es
    in their own separate environment. It works just like an stand
    alone PC with a BIOS and generic devices. Microsoft offers a
    45-day trial version that you can use. For that matter you could
    actually install and run a 98 instance from within XP and use
    your older applications.
    Trial Download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en

    "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message
    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
    > estimating/invoicing
    > program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
    > exception
    > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.
    > --
    > Horatio T Zilch

    Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
    Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs. I
    also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include support
    services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer ANY
    of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
    could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
    did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
    Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
    support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And
    HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
    questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no longer
    has any customer support.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Microsoft Virtual PC allows you to create an run earlier OS'es
    > in their own separate environment. It works just like an stand
    > alone PC with a BIOS and generic devices. Microsoft offers a
    > 45-day trial version that you can use. For that matter you could
    > actually install and run a 98 instance from within XP and use
    > your older applications.
    > Trial Download here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message
    > > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
    > > estimating/invoicing
    > > program.
    > >
    > > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
    > > exception
    > > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    > >
    > > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    > >
    > > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    > >
    > > Look forward to your comments.
    > > --
    > > Horatio T Zilch

    dragonfire1v

    I didn't have a problem getting to DOS, once I figured out system. It isn't
    the same as in Windows 98-.

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe is command to get to DOS.

    P.S. My computer is also a Dell.
    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    God bless you, Ken Blake!! I got to the DOS prompt by clicking on "Start"
    then "Run" and typing in CMD, just as you instructed. It opens up a small,
    black DOS box displaying the DOS prompt. I just installed an old (1992/93)
    DOS program and it works great. So now I know that MS-DOS CAN be accessed
    thru WIN XP.

    It only took me about seven hours today to find someone who could answer my
    questions!! Thank you Horatio, Bob Knowlden, HeyBub & Ken Blake for taking
    the time to respond!! I learned something new from all of you!

    In news:325FA41B-89E3-41A6-9A60-2FCA2DB60FBE@microsoft.com,
    dragonfire1v <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > God bless you, Ken Blake!! I got to the DOS prompt by clicking
    > on
    > "Start" then "Run" and typing in CMD, just as you instructed.
    > It
    > opens up a small, black DOS box displaying the DOS prompt. I
    > just
    > installed an old (1992/93) DOS program and it works great.

    You're welcome and glad to help.

    > So now I
    > know that MS-DOS CAN be accessed thru WIN XP.

    But that's not correct. There is no MS-DOS in Windows XP and you
    can't access it from Windows XP. What you can do is access and
    run *some* MS-DOS programs, but that 's not the same thing as
    accessing MS-DOS itself.

    As I said, some DOS programs will work and others won't. In
    general, those programs that access the hardware (mostly disk
    utilities and games) won't run and others will.

    horatio wrote:
    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well
    > as a number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
    > estimating/invoicing program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
    > exception which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us
    > to run our estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.

    "... not allow us to run..." is not the way to describe the problem. We
    don't need to know what the system WON'T do, we need to know what the system
    DOES do when you try to run the program. Error message? BSOD? Flashing
    lights? Moan?

    We have bags and bags of DOS programs (production, development, and games)
    that work swell with XP.

    In point of fact, these programs work BETTER under XP than they did under
    Win98. For example, a misbehaved program won't/can't knock the system down.

    HeyBud

    The vendor's comment is the "newer computers run to fast for the program to
    operate correctlly." I find that hard to believe. Especially, when we are
    running pre-1996 DOS based programs.

    Recognize the vendor is trying to sell $3500 upgrades to his program. Yah,
    it has some enhancements but nothing that we can't do with our DOS based
    program. Plus the Windows based version won't convert a lot of the data in
    the DOS version. Why spend the money and time to upgrade when the DOS
    version is acceptabe.
    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    As XP doesn't run on top of MS-DOS the way Win95, 98, or ME do, it doesn't
    matter who you bought it from: no DOS.

    The same would be true of any computer running Windows NT or 2000. Dell
    didn't cheat you on that, and HP and Gateway didn't do you any favors.

    XP will run some DOS software, but not all. I got an old DOS game or two to
    run out of nostalgia, but I use no DOS applications software.

    The suggestion to use the Microsoft Virtual PC emulator (with a copy of DOS
    or Win9x, which it does not include) may be the best one, if it's necessary
    to run legacy software on new hardware. I once fiddled briefly with the
    trial version. It seemed to work OK, but I had no real need for it, so I
    didn't buy it.

    I'm surprised that Dell declined to answer your question. I would not expect
    them to give you much help in getting third-party software to run, but I
    expect that Dell support would cheerfully answer any question that is
    covered in their support scripts. At least, that seemed to be true the last
    time I called them with a question on a machine at work. They couldn't
    answer the question, but they tried. I admit that this was through the
    business channel; perhaps Dell is less accommodating to home users.

    Disclaimer: I have a close relative who works for Dell. However, I own no
    Dell hardware, or company stock. This is being written on a homebuilt
    machine with an AMD Athlon64 CPU, which makes it about as far from being a
    Dell as a Windows machine can get.

    "dragonfire1v" <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
    > Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs.
    > also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include
    > support
    > services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer
    > ANY
    > of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
    > could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
    > did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
    > Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack
    > of
    > support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows.
    > And
    > HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
    > questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no
    > longer
    > has any customer support.

    (snip)

    It's not DOS. It is a command line interface (that looks like a DOS window).

    I'm not familiar with the differences between the XP command line and real
    DOS, but I believe that they are significant. I know that the rare DOS
    utility I use (like a BIOS flash utility) will not run from an XP command
    line window, or from a safe mode command line mode.

    In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
    horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well
    > as a number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
    > estimating/invoicing program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
    > exception which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us
    > to run our estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs
    > which will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with
    > our DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHJhZ29uZmlyZTF2?= wrote:

    > did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
    > Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
    > support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And

    But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
    support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
    miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.

    You can install most dos software.
    However, some dos software won't run or run poorly

    Watch out for dell sells reps. They will tell you something and then
    say the didn't.

    I know a business, who bought 3 computers and there were supposed to
    get 300 back on each computer. They claim they the told her she
    would only get $150 back total. The Email proves dell wrong. She has
    no received any money at all.

    Any time I see a rebate (Unless it is an instant rebate) and say
    forget it.

    Greg R

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> writes:
    >I'm surprised that Dell declined to answer your question. I would not expect
    >them to give you much help in getting third-party software to run, but I
    >expect that Dell support would cheerfully answer any question that is
    >covered in their support scripts.

    I purchased a new Dell for my mother. I paid as much for software from them
    as I did for hardware and paid as much for a three year support contract as
    I did for either hardware or software. After it arrived we found that Dell
    support consists of diagnosing whether you have broken hardware, and if so
    asking if it would be ok for them to just mail you the hardware. Only if
    you insist will they have the local service person come install it. There
    is ZERO support for software, beyond initially asking whether it runs or
    telling you where the instructions are for you to try to reinstall the OS
    disks provided, ZERO. The hundreds I paid for "support" didn't buy me, or
    her, anything.

    >At least, that seemed to be true the last
    >time I called them with a question on a machine at work. They couldn't
    >answer the question, but they tried. I admit that this was through the
    >business channel; perhaps Dell is less accommodating to home users.

    Dell outsourced all the support to India. Businesses called up Dell and
    told them to put that where the sun don't shine. Dell then brought the
    business support back on shore. All home/personal support remains on
    other continents, with long scripted questions that they go through, line
    by line, and if you aren't on the script, who knows.

    Plato <|@|.|> writes:
    >=?Utf-8?B?ZHJhZ29uZmlyZTF2?= wrote:
    >> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
    >> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
    >> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And

    >But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
    >support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
    >miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.

    I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
    thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
    wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists
    of "we will mail you a new $5 mouse if we can diagnose over the phone
    that it is really broken" did I much more seriously think that next time
    I wouldn't buy from them with or without the "support."

    If they said in blinking text on their television commercials what their
    "support" really wasn't, they would almost certainly have far more people
    not pay them for this. And that would be the honest thing to do.

    Horatio T Zilch

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
    > horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

    > DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Galen -

    My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.

    Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where I need
    it.

    Again, Thanx
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

    "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com...
    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
    > program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
    > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.
    > --
    > Horatio T Zilch
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

    -------------

    David -

    Two of the DOS programs run fine on Windows XP Home.

    The real concern is our estimating/invoicing program (circa 1996). The
    manual gives no configuration guidelines, except files must equal 250, in
    config.sys.

    There is a config.sys file in my C:\ directory which contains 0 bytes.

    If I understand your comments, I should edit the config.sys file and enter,
    basically, enter the info contained in our Windows 98 config.sys file
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    It will be in the program's manual.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uq6GUPeeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

    "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com...
    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
    > program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
    > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.
    > --
    > Horatio T Zilch
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    dragonfire1v wrote:

    > Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
    > Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs. I
    > also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include support
    > services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer ANY
    > of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
    > could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
    > did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
    > Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
    > support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And
    > HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
    > questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no longer
    > has any customer support.

    <snip>

    There is no DOS in XP so it can't be accessed. You can create a dual
    boot with DOS as one option if you so wish.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    horatio wrote:

    > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
    > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
    > program.
    >
    > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
    > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
    > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
    >
    > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
    > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
    >
    > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
    > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
    > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
    >
    > Look forward to your comments.

    Create a dual boot configuration, one with DOS the other with XP.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    horatio wrote:

    >> In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
    >> horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

    >> DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    >> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where
    > I need it.
    >
    > Again, Thanx

    If you are going to try DOSBox the following website will give you guidance.

    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/

    --
    <Bill>

    Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
    N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    --
    Horatio T Zilch

    "Rock" wrote:

    > Create a dual boot configuration, one with DOS the other with XP.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock

    Appreciate your comments.

    I'm not sure how to create a "dual boot configuration." Will do a little
    research on this.

    If, however, this means selecting to boot in XP or DOS, I'm not sure this is
    the answer. In our operation we may have several programs open at one time -
    both Windows based and DOS based, toggling between programs as required.

    As I said will research this option and see what how it might work for us.

    Again, thanx
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:E1E0652D-CC2C-498B-8E4C-1DBA8609B3D3@microsoft.com,
    horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

    > Galen -
    >
    > My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where
    > I need it.
    >
    > Again, Thanx

    Not a problem and it should do the trick for you. It's pretty easy but
    there's some learning curve. You can have it up, fully functioning, and know
    what you're doing well enough in about ten mintues at the most.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    horatio wrote:

    You're welcome.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Config.sys is there for programs that read it to check if they should run. It has no effect on XP, it's just there for programs that expect it. The actual configuration files are in System32, C:\WINDOWS\system32\CONFIG.NT, this is what you change to actually set files to anything other than the default of 40.

    But as configured XP gives little memory to Dos as it has networking and other stuff in memory. So make config.nt the same as 98's config.sys.

    "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:DB1367CE-877F-4CE5-9EDE-F13682CA2DEC@microsoft.com...

    > --
    > Horatio T Zilch
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?
    >
    > -------------
    >
    > David -
    >
    > Two of the DOS programs run fine on Windows XP Home.
    >
    > The real concern is our estimating/invoicing program (circa 1996). The
    > manual gives no configuration guidelines, except files must equal 250, in
    > config.sys.
    >
    > There is a config.sys file in my C:\ directory which contains 0 bytes.
    >
    > If I understand your comments, I should edit the config.sys file and enter,
    > basically, enter the info contained in our Windows 98 config.sys file
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Don Taylor wrote:

    > >But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
    > >support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
    > >miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.
    >
    > I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
    > thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
    > wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists

    Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What did dell call it. Did they call it support.

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:42c04ab8$5$2524$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    > Don Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> >But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
    >> >support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
    >> >miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.
    >>
    >> I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
    >> thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
    >> wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists
    >
    > Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "David Candy" <.> writes:
    >What did dell call it. Did they call it support.

    Yes I believe they did call it support, Three years
    of their top-of-the-line, for just a bit under $400,
    if I remember this correctly.

    From their web page:

    Extend Your Limited Warranty, Service, & Tech Support Plan
    Protect your Dell PC! Increase the life of your award-winning
    service and support coverage before it's too late

    Sort of like paying the dealer 100% more for "options" needed to
    actually be able to USE your new car, and paying them the same
    amount more for the premium extra cost warranty for your purchase
    and THEN you discover that warranty doesn't actually cover anything
    to do with your 100% you paid for those "options", sorry, all that
    is outside of any coverage.

    I'd dearly love to see their catalog and commercials say, in large
    bold print, "OH, AND THIS SERVICE AND SUPPORT, DON'T THINK THAT
    MEANS WE PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT FOR FOR ANYTHING BUT BROKEN HARDWARE.
    Thank you"

    >--=20
    >-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    >-------------------------
    >http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
    >=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    >"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message =
    >> Don Taylor wrote:
    >>>=20
    >of
    >they'd
    >>>=20
    >>> I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid =
    >Dell,
    >>> thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
    >>> wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" =
    >consists
    >>=20
    >> Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I've bought many Dells. Dell is specified exactly for this feature. We have been happy with it and only expect hardware support and we get great hardware support. When I saved money and didn't buy dell, the warranty company went bankrupt. Back to Dell and this feature.

    I would suggest you had unrealistic expectations of it. Every computer had something fail in the first three years, often the mouse or keyboard, sometimes a monitor. and it allows a computer to stay down for less than 24 hours and requires no extra expeniture. If all hardware was like Dell live would be great. If software was like Dell's hardware ...

    "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message news:Etqdnfc3h4CzT13fRVn-1w@scnresearch.com...
    > "David Candy" <.> writes:
    >>What did dell call it. Did they call it support.
    >
    > Yes I believe they did call it support, Three years
    > of their top-of-the-line, for just a bit under $400,
    > if I remember this correctly.
    >
    > From their web page:
    >
    > Extend Your Limited Warranty, Service, & Tech Support Plan
    > Protect your Dell PC! Increase the life of your award-winning
    > service and support coverage before it's too late
    >
    > Sort of like paying the dealer 100% more for "options" needed to
    > actually be able to USE your new car, and paying them the same
    > amount more for the premium extra cost warranty for your purchase
    > and THEN you discover that warranty doesn't actually cover anything
    > to do with your 100% you paid for those "options", sorry, all that
    > is outside of any coverage.
    >
    > I'd dearly love to see their catalog and commercials say, in large
    > bold print, "OH, AND THIS SERVICE AND SUPPORT, DON'T THINK THAT
    > MEANS WE PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT FOR FOR ANYTHING BUT BROKEN HARDWARE.
    > Thank you"
    >
    >>--=20
    >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    >>-------------------------
    >>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
    >>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    >>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message =
    >>of
    >>they'd
    >>Dell,
    >>consists
    >>>=20
    >>> Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

  35. Today’s small and medium sized businesses requires computer support at Los Angeles and hence it is important for Small Business IT support companies at Los Angeles train their employees based on latest technologies and solutions to meet the customer needs.

DOS Compatibility Windows XP Product