DOS Compatibility

June 25, 2005 6:39:02 PM

In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
program.

Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.

We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.

Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?

Look forward to your comments.
--
Horatio T Zilch

More about : dos compatibility

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:28:24 PM

horatio wrote:
> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
> program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
> which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.

Explain more. Most well-behaved DOS programs should be
able to run in the DOS box or under the DOS emulator in
both Windows XP and Windows 2000. In reference to a very
ancient DOS accounting program, viz., PeachTree for DOS,
it runs satisfactorily in its own box.

Are there any special requirements that are needed for these
programs, e.g., DOS extenders, expanded memory, etc.? A peek
at the Win98 (or DOS) autoexec.bat and config.sys file may
provide a hint of what might need to be done in setting up
these programs in Windows XP or 2000.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:41:03 PM

Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator in Windows XP?
ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows XP? Because it sure
won't install any DOS programs.

"Mistoffolees" wrote:

Explain more. Most well-behaved DOS programs should be
> able to run in the DOS box or under the DOS emulator in
> both Windows XP and Windows 2000. In reference to a very
> ancient DOS accounting program, viz., PeachTree for DOS,
> it runs satisfactorily in its own box.
>
> Are there any special requirements that are needed for these
> programs, e.g., DOS extenders, expanded memory, etc.? A peek
> at the Win98 (or DOS) autoexec.bat and config.sys file may
> provide a hint of what might need to be done in setting up
> these programs in Windows XP or 2000.
June 25, 2005 8:15:11 PM

In news:BBFC4298-CCCF-4FDF-AB2D-D94D731F405B@microsoft.com,
dragonfire1v <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator
> in
> Windows XP?

I'm not Mistoffolees, but you can get to the command prompt, by
going to Start | Run, and typing CMD.

> ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows
> XP?

You certainly can.

> Because it sure won't install any DOS programs.

No, that's false. There may be *some* DOS programs that don't
work under Windows XP (in general, those that access the hardware
directly), but it's far from true that it "won't install any DOS
programs."

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:47:03 PM

I'm no expert!!!

To install two of the DOS programs, I literally copied the entire directory
for the program from the old computer. I used PKZIP and copied onto 3.5"
floppies. Created the desired directory on the new computer (XP), using
Explorer selected the program .EXE file, created a desktop icon and attempted
to opened the .EXE file.

Our estimating/invoicing program is set up on a network. Therefore, I
didn't copy the program to the XP machine. I did route to the server. It
just won't open.

On the other two programs (WordPerfect 5.1 and Lotus 1-2-3), copied files.
WordPerfect works fine. Lotus 1-2-3 wont open correctly.
--
Horatio T Zilch
Anonymous

I wouldn't say the estimating/invoicing program (printLEADER) is acient -
circa 1996/7. The Lotus 1-2-3 program is circa 1991.

I'm not familiar with the "DOS emulator." Could you give a little more info
here.

Thanx
--
Horatio T Zilch

"Mistoffolees" wrote:

> horatio wrote:
> > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
> > program.
> >
> > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
> > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
> >
> > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
> >
> > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
> >
> > Look forward to your comments.
>
> Explain more. Most well-behaved DOS programs should be
> able to run in the DOS box or under the DOS emulator in
> both Windows XP and Windows 2000. In reference to a very
> ancient DOS accounting program, viz., PeachTree for DOS,
> it runs satisfactorily in its own box.
>
> Are there any special requirements that are needed for these
> programs, e.g., DOS extenders, expanded memory, etc.? A peek
> at the Win98 (or DOS) autoexec.bat and config.sys file may
> provide a hint of what might need to be done in setting up
> these programs in Windows XP or 2000.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:46:17 PM

Microsoft Virtual PC allows you to create an run earlier OS'es
in their own separate environment. It works just like an stand
alone PC with a BIOS and generic devices. Microsoft offers a
45-day trial version that you can use. For that matter you could
actually install and run a 98 instance from within XP and use
your older applications.
Trial Download here:

"horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message
> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
> estimating/invoicing
> program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
> exception
> which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.
> --
> Horatio T Zilch
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:46:18 PM

Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs. I
also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include support
services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer ANY
of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And
HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no longer
has any customer support.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Microsoft Virtual PC allows you to create an run earlier OS'es
> in their own separate environment. It works just like an stand
> alone PC with a BIOS and generic devices. Microsoft offers a
> 45-day trial version that you can use. For that matter you could
> actually install and run a 98 instance from within XP and use
> your older applications.
> Trial Download here:
>
> "horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message
> > In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> > number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
> > estimating/invoicing
> > program.
> >
> > Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
> > exception
> > which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> > estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
> >
> > We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> > Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
> >
> > Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> > will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> > DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
> >
> > Look forward to your comments.
> > --
> > Horatio T Zilch

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:46:19 PM

dragonfire1v

I didn't have a problem getting to DOS, once I figured out system. It isn't
the same as in Windows 98-.

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe is command to get to DOS.

P.S. My computer is also a Dell.
--
Horatio T Zilch
Anonymous

God bless you, Ken Blake!! I got to the DOS prompt by clicking on "Start"
then "Run" and typing in CMD, just as you instructed. It opens up a small,
black DOS box displaying the DOS prompt. I just installed an old (1992/93)
DOS program and it works great. So now I know that MS-DOS CAN be accessed
thru WIN XP.

It only took me about seven hours today to find someone who could answer my
questions!! Thank you Horatio, Bob Knowlden, HeyBub & Ken Blake for taking
the time to respond!! I learned something new from all of you!

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> dragonfire1v typed:
>
> > Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator
> > in
> > Windows XP?
>

> I'm not Mistoffolees, but you can get to the command prompt, by
> going to Start | Run, and typing CMD.
>

> > ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows
> > XP?
>

> You certainly can.
>

> > Because it sure won't install any DOS programs.
>

> No, that's false. There may be *some* DOS programs that don't
> work under Windows XP (in general, those that access the hardware
> directly), but it's far from true that it "won't install any DOS
> programs."

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:30:09 PM

In news:325FA41B-89E3-41A6-9A60-2FCA2DB60FBE@microsoft.com,
dragonfire1v <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> God bless you, Ken Blake!! I got to the DOS prompt by clicking
> on
> "Start" then "Run" and typing in CMD, just as you instructed.
> It
> opens up a small, black DOS box displaying the DOS prompt. I
> just
> installed an old (1992/93) DOS program and it works great.

You're welcome and glad to help.

> So now I
> know that MS-DOS CAN be accessed thru WIN XP.

But that's not correct. There is no MS-DOS in Windows XP and you
can't access it from Windows XP. What you can do is access and
run *some* MS-DOS programs, but that 's not the same thing as
accessing MS-DOS itself.

As I said, some DOS programs will work and others won't. In
general, those programs that access the hardware (mostly disk
utilities and games) won't run and others will.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> It only took me about seven hours today to find someone who
> could
> answer my questions!! Thank you Horatio, Bob Knowlden, HeyBub
> & Ken
> Blake for taking the time to respond!! I learned something new
> from
> all of you!
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> dragonfire1v typed:
>>
>>> Mistoffolees, How does one access the DOS box or DOS emulator
>>> in
>>> Windows XP?
>>

>> I'm not Mistoffolees, but you can get to the command prompt,
>> by
>> going to Start | Run, and typing CMD.
>>

>>> ARe you saying DOS programs can be accessed thru Windows
>>> XP?
>>

>> You certainly can.
>>

>>> Because it sure won't install any DOS programs.
>>

>> No, that's false. There may be *some* DOS programs that don't
>> work under Windows XP (in general, those that access the
>> hardware
>> directly), but it's far from true that it "won't install any
>> DOS
>> programs."
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:40:17 PM

horatio wrote:
> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well
> as a number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
> estimating/invoicing program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
> exception which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us
> to run our estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.

"... not allow us to run..." is not the way to describe the problem. We
don't need to know what the system WON'T do, we need to know what the system
DOES do when you try to run the program. Error message? BSOD? Flashing
lights? Moan?

We have bags and bags of DOS programs (production, development, and games)
that work swell with XP.

In point of fact, these programs work BETTER under XP than they did under
Win98. For example, a misbehaved program won't/can't knock the system down.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:40:18 PM

HeyBud

The vendor's comment is the "newer computers run to fast for the program to
operate correctlly." I find that hard to believe. Especially, when we are
running pre-1996 DOS based programs.

Recognize the vendor is trying to sell $3500 upgrades to his program. Yah,
it has some enhancements but nothing that we can't do with our DOS based
program. Plus the Windows based version won't convert a lot of the data in
the DOS version. Why spend the money and time to upgrade when the DOS
version is acceptabe.
--
Horatio T Zilch
Anonymous

As XP doesn't run on top of MS-DOS the way Win95, 98, or ME do, it doesn't
matter who you bought it from: no DOS.

The same would be true of any computer running Windows NT or 2000. Dell
didn't cheat you on that, and HP and Gateway didn't do you any favors.

XP will run some DOS software, but not all. I got an old DOS game or two to
run out of nostalgia, but I use no DOS applications software.

The suggestion to use the Microsoft Virtual PC emulator (with a copy of DOS
or Win9x, which it does not include) may be the best one, if it's necessary
to run legacy software on new hardware. I once fiddled briefly with the
trial version. It seemed to work OK, but I had no real need for it, so I
didn't buy it.

I'm surprised that Dell declined to answer your question. I would not expect
them to give you much help in getting third-party software to run, but I
expect that Dell support would cheerfully answer any question that is
covered in their support scripts. At least, that seemed to be true the last
time I called them with a question on a machine at work. They couldn't
answer the question, but they tried. I admit that this was through the
business channel; perhaps Dell is less accommodating to home users.

Disclaimer: I have a close relative who works for Dell. However, I own no
Dell hardware, or company stock. This is being written on a homebuilt
machine with an AMD Athlon64 CPU, which makes it about as far from being a
Dell as a Windows machine can get.

"dragonfire1v" <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
> Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs.
> also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include
> support
> services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer
> ANY
> of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
> could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack
> of
> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows.
> And
> HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
> questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no
> longer
> has any customer support.

(snip)
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:03:32 AM

It's not DOS. It is a command line interface (that looks like a DOS window).

I'm not familiar with the differences between the XP command line and real
DOS, but I believe that they are significant. I know that the rare DOS
utility I use (like a BIOS flash utility) will not run from an XP command
line window, or from a safe mode command line mode.

> dragonfire1v
>
> I didn't have a problem getting to DOS, once I figured out system. It
> isn't
> the same as in Windows 98-.
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe is command to get to DOS.
>
> P.S. My computer is also a Dell.
> --
> Horatio T Zilch
June 26, 2005 1:30:03 AM

In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well
> as a number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our
> estimating/invoicing program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one
> exception which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us
> to run our estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs
> which will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with
> our DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:45:05 AM

=?Utf-8?B?ZHJhZ29uZmlyZTF2?= wrote:

> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And

But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:14:45 AM

You can install most dos software.
However, some dos software won't run or run poorly

Watch out for dell sells reps. They will tell you something and then
say the didn't.

I know a business, who bought 3 computers and there were supposed to
get 300 back on each computer. They claim they the told her she
would only get $150 back total. The Email proves dell wrong. She has
no received any money at all.

Any time I see a rebate (Unless it is an instant rebate) and say
forget it.

Greg R
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:01:58 AM

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> writes:
>I'm surprised that Dell declined to answer your question. I would not expect
>them to give you much help in getting third-party software to run, but I
>expect that Dell support would cheerfully answer any question that is
>covered in their support scripts.

I purchased a new Dell for my mother. I paid as much for software from them
as I did for hardware and paid as much for a three year support contract as
I did for either hardware or software. After it arrived we found that Dell
support consists of diagnosing whether you have broken hardware, and if so
asking if it would be ok for them to just mail you the hardware. Only if
you insist will they have the local service person come install it. There
is ZERO support for software, beyond initially asking whether it runs or
telling you where the instructions are for you to try to reinstall the OS
disks provided, ZERO. The hundreds I paid for "support" didn't buy me, or
her, anything.

>At least, that seemed to be true the last
>time I called them with a question on a machine at work. They couldn't
>answer the question, but they tried. I admit that this was through the
>business channel; perhaps Dell is less accommodating to home users.

Dell outsourced all the support to India. Businesses called up Dell and
told them to put that where the sun don't shine. Dell then brought the
business support back on shore. All home/personal support remains on
other continents, with long scripted questions that they go through, line
by line, and if you aren't on the script, who knows.

>Disclaimer: I have a close relative who works for Dell. However, I own no
>Dell hardware, or company stock. This is being written on a homebuilt
>machine with an AMD Athlon64 CPU, which makes it about as far from being a
>Dell as a Windows machine can get.

>Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

>"dragonfire1v" <dragonfire1v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
>> Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs.
>> also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include
>> support
>> services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer
>> ANY
>> of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
>> could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
>> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
>> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack
>> of
>> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows.
>> And
>> HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
>> questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no
>> longer
>> has any customer support.
>>
>(snip)
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:05:58 AM

Plato <|@|.|> writes:
>=?Utf-8?B?ZHJhZ29uZmlyZTF2?= wrote:
>> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
>> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
>> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And

>But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
>support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
>miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.

I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists
of "we will mail you a new $5 mouse if we can diagnose over the phone
that it is really broken" did I much more seriously think that next time
I wouldn't buy from them with or without the "support."

If they said in blinking text on their television commercials what their
"support" really wasn't, they would almost certainly have far more people
not pay them for this. And that would be the honest thing to do.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:25:01 PM

Horatio T Zilch

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
> horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

> DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Galen -

My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.

Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where I need
it.

Again, Thanx
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:13:00 PM

Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

"horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com...
> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
> program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
> which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.
> --
> Horatio T Zilch
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:13:01 PM

Horatio T Zilch

"David Candy" wrote:

> Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

-------------

David -

Two of the DOS programs run fine on Windows XP Home.

The real concern is our estimating/invoicing program (circa 1996). The
manual gives no configuration guidelines, except files must equal 250, in
config.sys.

There is a config.sys file in my C:\ directory which contains 0 bytes.

If I understand your comments, I should edit the config.sys file and enter,
basically, enter the info contained in our Windows 98 config.sys file
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:20:30 PM

It will be in the program's manual.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:uq6GUPeeFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?

"horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com...
> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
> program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
> which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.
> --
> Horatio T Zilch
June 26, 2005 2:52:13 PM

dragonfire1v wrote:

> Hi! I'm having the same problem. I made the mistake of buying Dell with
> Windows XP and it will NOT allow me to install any of my MS-DOS programs. I
> also stupidly bought the Dell 4yr Warranty thinking it would include support
> services. It does NOT. Only for hardware failure. Dell would not answer ANY
> of my basic questions about the computer. (I asked if there was any way I
> could access MS-DOS on this computer, thinking it might be installed but I
> did not know the magic word.) This is my fifth computer (I've had HP &
> Gateways before) & this is the first time I've encountered this total lack of
> support. My other computers came with MS-DOS (without asking) & Windows. And
> HP & Gateway support personnel used to go out of their way to answer ANY
> questions about their product. What a shame the computer industry no longer
> has any customer support.

<snip>

There is no DOS in XP so it can't be accessed. You can create a dual
boot with DOS as one option if you so wish.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

horatio wrote:

> In our small business we still use three DOS based programs (as well as a
> number of Windows programs). Of primary concern is our estimating/invoicing
> program.
>
> Currently, all of our computers are running Wlindows 98, with one exception
> which uses Windows XP Professional. XP will not allow us to run our
> estimating program nor one of the other DOS based programs.
>
> We have used the Properties Menu and tried numerous settings in the
> Compatibility and MemoryTabs, all to no avail.
>
> Our delimma is we need to upgrade one of our graphic arts programs which
> will only run on Windows 2000 or XP.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve compatibility with our
> DOS based programs and XP Professional (or 2000)?
>
> Look forward to your comments.

Create a dual boot configuration, one with DOS the other with XP.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

horatio wrote:

>> In news:A9FB54EF-84BE-472B-88A5-B9FAE59330F6@microsoft.com,
>> horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

>> DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
>> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
>
> My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.
>
> Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where
> I need it.
>
> Again, Thanx

If you are going to try DOSBox the following website will give you guidance.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/

--
<Bill>

Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:16:03 PM

Horatio T Zilch

"Rock" wrote:

> Create a dual boot configuration, one with DOS the other with XP.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Appreciate your comments.

I'm not sure how to create a "dual boot configuration." Will do a little
research on this.

If, however, this means selecting to boot in XP or DOS, I'm not sure this is
the answer. In our operation we may have several programs open at one time -
both Windows based and DOS based, toggling between programs as required.

As I said will research this option and see what how it might work for us.

Again, thanx
June 26, 2005 6:46:39 PM

In news:E1E0652D-CC2C-498B-8E4C-1DBA8609B3D3@microsoft.com,
horatio <nospam@widowmaker.com> had this to say:

> Galen -
>
> My wife's name is Gailon - same pronunciation, I'm sure.
>
> Thanks for the tip on DOSBox. Will look into it at the office where
> I need it.
>
> Again, Thanx

Not a problem and it should do the trick for you. It's pretty easy but
there's some learning curve. You can have it up, fully functioning, and know
what you're doing well enough in about ten mintues at the most.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
June 27, 2005 1:18:46 AM

horatio wrote:

You're welcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Config.sys is there for programs that read it to check if they should run. It has no effect on XP, it's just there for programs that expect it. The actual configuration files are in System32, C:\WINDOWS\system32\CONFIG.NT, this is what you change to actually set files to anything other than the default of 40.

But as configured XP gives little memory to Dos as it has networking and other stuff in memory. So make config.nt the same as 98's config.sys.

"horatio" <nospam@widowmaker.com> wrote in message news:D B1367CE-877F-4CE5-9EDE-F13682CA2DEC@microsoft.com...

> --
> Horatio T Zilch
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Read the manual for the program. You have to configure dos for the program like any Dos computer. What does it want?
>
> -------------
>
> David -
>
> Two of the DOS programs run fine on Windows XP Home.
>
> The real concern is our estimating/invoicing program (circa 1996). The
> manual gives no configuration guidelines, except files must equal 250, in
> config.sys.
>
> There is a config.sys file in my C:\ directory which contains 0 bytes.
>
> If I understand your comments, I should edit the config.sys file and enter,
> basically, enter the info contained in our Windows 98 config.sys file
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:54:10 PM

Don Taylor wrote:

> >But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
> >support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
> >miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.
>
> I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
> thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
> wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists

Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:30:58 PM

What did dell call it. Did they call it support.

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:42c04ab8$5$2524$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
> Don Taylor wrote:
>>
>> >But, if the price of the Dell was $300 more to account for the type of
>> >support you wanted ie support for non-dell third party software, they'd
>> >miss the sale as you would not have paid $300 more for the unit.
>>
>> I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid Dell,
>> thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
>> wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" consists
>
> Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:30:59 PM

"David Candy" <.> writes:
>What did dell call it. Did they call it support.

Yes I believe they did call it support, Three years
of their top-of-the-line, for just a bit under $400,
if I remember this correctly.

From their web page:

Extend Your Limited Warranty, Service, & Tech Support Plan
Protect your Dell PC! Increase the life of your award-winning
service and support coverage before it's too late

Sort of like paying the dealer 100% more for "options" needed to
actually be able to USE your new car, and paying them the same
amount more for the premium extra cost warranty for your purchase
and THEN you discover that warranty doesn't actually cover anything
to do with your 100% you paid for those "options", sorry, all that
is outside of any coverage.

I'd dearly love to see their catalog and commercials say, in large
bold print, "OH, AND THIS SERVICE AND SUPPORT, DON'T THINK THAT
MEANS WE PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT FOR FOR ANYTHING BUT BROKEN HARDWARE.
Thank you"

>--=20
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>-------------------------
>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message =
>> Don Taylor wrote:
>>>=20
>of
>they'd
>>>=20
>>> I paid MORE than $300 for "support", just about 1/3 of what I paid =
>Dell,
>>> thinking they were going to answer the questions from my mother so I
>>> wouldn't have to do that. Only after I found out that "support" =
>consists
>>=20
>> Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:36:38 PM

I've bought many Dells. Dell is specified exactly for this feature. We have been happy with it and only expect hardware support and we get great hardware support. When I saved money and didn't buy dell, the warranty company went bankrupt. Back to Dell and this feature.

I would suggest you had unrealistic expectations of it. Every computer had something fail in the first three years, often the mouse or keyboard, sometimes a monitor. and it allows a computer to stay down for less than 24 hours and requires no extra expeniture. If all hardware was like Dell live would be great. If software was like Dell's hardware ...

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message news:Etqdnfc3h4CzT13fRVn-1w@scnresearch.com...
> "David Candy" <.> writes:
>>What did dell call it. Did they call it support.
>
> Yes I believe they did call it support, Three years
> of their top-of-the-line, for just a bit under $400,
> if I remember this correctly.
>
> From their web page:
>
> Extend Your Limited Warranty, Service, & Tech Support Plan
> Protect your Dell PC! Increase the life of your award-winning
> service and support coverage before it's too late
>
> Sort of like paying the dealer 100% more for "options" needed to
> actually be able to USE your new car, and paying them the same
> amount more for the premium extra cost warranty for your purchase
> and THEN you discover that warranty doesn't actually cover anything
> to do with your 100% you paid for those "options", sorry, all that
> is outside of any coverage.
>
> I'd dearly love to see their catalog and commercials say, in large
> bold print, "OH, AND THIS SERVICE AND SUPPORT, DON'T THINK THAT
> MEANS WE PROVIDE ANY SUPPORT FOR FOR ANYTHING BUT BROKEN HARDWARE.
> Thank you"
>
>>--=20
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>>-------------------------
>>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message =
>>of
>>they'd
>>Dell,
>>consists
>>>=20
>>> Lets just hope that dell, and other big name brands, are listening.

March 4, 2010 7:16:41 PM

Today’s small and medium sized businesses requires computer support at Los Angeles and hence it is important for Small Business IT support companies at Los Angeles train their employees based on latest technologies and solutions to meet the customer needs.
!