Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Liteon
  • DVD Burner
  • LG
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2004 3:21:30 PM

Hi just want to ask for ur help in deciding which dvd burner should i get.
1. Lite-On SOHW-812S for S$206
2. LG GSA-4082B for 239
Is the ability to read and write DVD-RAM worth the price diff?

If you want to recommend other brand, i would not mind. My budget is aroud 250$, and u can find the available product here: http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/priceguide.php?id....

Thanks alot. :D 

Regards,

[] [_] [--

More about : decide lite

May 10, 2004 9:06:23 PM

I've had both of them and the lite-on is better but is very ugly and horrible colour.

LG looks cool, but can't be relied on to write at its advertised speed.

-----------------------------------
The bigger I am, the harder they fall.
May 11, 2004 12:00:47 AM

Well, you are such a *o*sy. How is that Lite_On is better than LG. It is "faster" not better, and that is just if you compared them side by side on the same machine, same file, same media. Then you can say it is "faster", how is it "better"? I don't really care if the disc is written 29.99 seconds longer, as long as I can use it anywhere. And I don't care if drive is faster if it does not take different media the way "slower" (or should I say "worst") drive does.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
May 11, 2004 12:12:29 AM

Quote:
I've had both of them

TBH, I think that qualifies him to make the statement he did.

He's had both of them, have you? :tongue:

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
May 11, 2004 3:22:37 PM

It does not. He said LG looks better, but Lite_On writes faster, so which one is better? Yeah, you guessed it - the one that peopel look from those sides, look or speed. That wot I woz talking about.

He did not have them at the same time in the same machines and did not do testing. He had them both and it "appeared" to him that Lite_On is fester, and based on what he's looking in drives he makes assumption that Lite_On is "better", even though it looks ugly, which brings it down in my book to worst (I can live with 32x and not 108x if it looks "silver" on my silver case and works much much quieter than turbo jet Lite_On)

May 12, 2004 3:24:58 PM

So, can someone please provide some useful info on the pros and cons of each drive? I'm also looking at those two for a near future purchase.
May 12, 2004 9:34:11 PM

These days I go for a cheaper one, they all competing with each other, its just looks that matter.

May 13, 2004 2:27:43 AM

Finally, someone is making sense!
Thanks blah!
May 13, 2004 4:21:03 AM

Well, quality of burns also, hehe

May 13, 2004 1:03:02 PM

Lite-On is better for making backups of games with... thats why its near the top of my get-a-DVD-burner list...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
May 13, 2004 10:18:37 PM

I've had both of them in the same machine, using the same media.

Also, read this review http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/141 and also find the one for the LG.

I don't take back anything I said in the first post. The LG is compatible with less media.

I still say that the Liteon is better. It's not turbo/noisy either.

I don't care if you're an honorary poster, just learn some manners.

-----------------------------------
The bigger I am, the harder they fall.
May 14, 2004 12:31:54 AM

Don't worry most of blah's posts aren't worth getting him to that title anyways, just look at the examples here.

I like my LGs, but I DO use the RAM, and they were FAR cheaper than anything else by a LONG shot. I haven't had burn problems (not of the error type/only speed), but I do tend to us quality media which I get in bulk; and even the 'cheap' stuff like Fotis burns fine, although nowhere near the 4X advertised, it tends to sit at `2.9 in speed tests, and thus defaults to 2X in apps. When burning GOOD media the LG does 4X without fail.

And while looks aren't a big thing, I agree it does come into play in a small way. I still wish LG had removeable faceplates like Plex, but of course it's a minor consideration. If you have two equal burners (and many are very close nowadays), why not go for the one that 'completes' your rig better if you can find little else to distinguish them (compatibility, warranty, speed, software bundle, etc).

I will say that LG's software bundle is lacking, but if you already have NERO6, then it matters little.

Since the LG is more expensive here (I can get it for 1/2 that price in Canadian$ here), I'd say the Lite-on would do fine, and like Spitfire says, unless there's a Compelling reason to use RAM, no point in spending the extra. Also I'm sure Spitfire would LoVe to tell us about the better support of Lite-on too. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
May 14, 2004 6:53:35 PM

lol,

""I don't care if you're an honorary poster""

I don't either (and never did;)

PS: Lite_On IS better than LG, but no better than NEC, I was just playing with you ;) 

May 15, 2004 4:36:33 AM

I try not to lie in public places, so I would like to pick first statement if you don't mind

** PS: my ear is more than sensitive, it is also irritated at ANY extra noise, ask my wife, she "knows"

May 15, 2004 6:08:39 AM

Wow two lies in ONE post like bookends really, well done;

<i>I try not to lie...</i>

Sure.

<i>ask my wife,</i>

I didn't know that PVC could talk, or were you going to paint lips on your right hand?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
May 15, 2004 6:41:53 AM

sigh, i did not know you are an idioted person, will keep that in mind

!