What are these Directories????

Ed

I am running XPHome SP1 which was upgraded to SP2 by downloading and
applying the 266 meg file “Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT
Professionals and Developers”. I keep my HD clean by doing many house
cleaning routines including running Doug Knox’s
xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe which removes the installation files
left over from doing MS Critical and Suggested Updates (after running
the fixes/updates for a few days to make sure they don’t need to be
uninstalled).

However, I have ended up with three directories under my Windows
directory that Doug Knox’s utility does not see. They are Read-Only,
Hidden & Compressed directories:
$hf_mig$ containing 26 directories named KBxxxxxx
$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ containing 1 directory and 108 files
$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$ containing 1 directory and 114 files

I also have one Mammoth directory under my Windows directory called:
ServicePackFiles\i386 containing 1 directory and 2122 files

I don’t really need the HD space but like I said, I like to keep a
clean ship and besides, when doing a Ghost backup to DVD’s, these 4
directories takes an additional DVD to get the whole HD backed up.

Questions are:
1. What is each one of these directories purpose?
2. Is the ServicePackFiles\i386 directory where that 266 meg SP2 file
unpacked itself to before it installed SP2?
3. Can they and their contents be deleted?

Thanks in Advance,
Ed

Hi,

> 1. What is each one of these directories purpose?

The uninstall folder hold backups of the files that were replaced by the
update as well as uninstall information. If you do not intend to uninstall
an update, you can delete those directories.

> 2. Is the ServicePackFiles\i386 directory where that 266 meg SP2 file
> unpacked itself to before it installed SP2?

No, it is where the installation routine placed backups of the files that
were updated. If one of them in the system becomes corrupted, a reserve will
be drawn from here by the system file checker. This folder should be left
alone.

> 3. Can they and their contents be deleted?

The $NtUninstall......$ directories canbe deleted. The
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles folder should be left alone.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
>I am running XPHome SP1 which was upgraded to SP2 by downloading and
> applying the 266 meg file “Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT
> Professionals and Developers”. I keep my HD clean by doing many house
> cleaning routines including running Doug Knox’s
> xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe which removes the installation files
> left over from doing MS Critical and Suggested Updates (after running
> the fixes/updates for a few days to make sure they don’t need to be
> uninstalled).
>
> However, I have ended up with three directories under my Windows
> directory that Doug Knox’s utility does not see. They are Read-Only,
> Hidden & Compressed directories:
> $hf_mig$ containing 26 directories named KBxxxxxx
> $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ containing 1 directory and 108 files
> $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$ containing 1 directory and 114 files
>
> I also have one Mammoth directory under my Windows directory called:
> ServicePackFiles\i386 containing 1 directory and 2122 files
>
> I don’t really need the HD space but like I said, I like to keep a
> clean ship and besides, when doing a Ghost backup to DVD’s, these 4
> directories takes an additional DVD to get the whole HD backed up.
>
> Questions are:
> 1. What is each one of these directories purpose?
> 2. Is the ServicePackFiles\i386 directory where that 266 meg SP2 file
> unpacked itself to before it installed SP2?
> 3. Can they and their contents be deleted?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Ed

I'll try and answer your questions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824994
Description of the contents of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003
software update packages

%windir%\$hf_mig$ folder

From the above article:-

When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup, driver, or feature
pack installs GDR version files, the hotfix files are also copied to the
%windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports migration to the appropriate files if you
later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files.
For example, consider the following scenario:

1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll with a
version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of File.dll with a
version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.

2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with a version
number of 5.2.3790.0000.

In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix version of
File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of
the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix
package.

Leave the folder alone.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after
Tidying up after installing SP2