Restricted users can see/use all my prgrams, how do I chan..

peterm

I got so much help here, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate
this group. Maybe I can get two more questions in. I have my daughter and my
grandson listed with their own log-on, as restricted users. However, they
can still use all my programs, and see them when they go to the program
menu. If I can't change it, so be it, but how can I change it to
reflect/show only programs that I like them to see/use? The other question,
I purchased my grandson an IPOD, I gave him admin rights to install the
ITune program and also Yahoo messenger. (I then also went back and made him
a restricted user again)Now, every time I log on as me (administrator), I
go through all this ITUNE configuration stuff , asking for OK on this and
that, Yahoo stuff also wants a whole bunch of yes and no loading questions.
Is there a way, where I can set it , so these questions only run on their
log-on only? None of that stuff was installed in my log-on. I use Win XP
home, and all your help is much appreciated again. .................Opa
Peter

Administrators install for All Users, that's the point of an admin.

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message news:WsSdnUm_V9S4ciDfRVn-3g@comcast.com...
>I got so much help here, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate
> this group. Maybe I can get two more questions in. I have my daughter and my
> grandson listed with their own log-on, as restricted users. However, they
> can still use all my programs, and see them when they go to the program
> menu. If I can't change it, so be it, but how can I change it to
> reflect/show only programs that I like them to see/use? The other question,
> I purchased my grandson an IPOD, I gave him admin rights to install the
> ITune program and also Yahoo messenger. (I then also went back and made him
> a restricted user again)Now, every time I log on as me (administrator), I
> go through all this ITUNE configuration stuff , asking for OK on this and
> that, Yahoo stuff also wants a whole bunch of yes and no loading questions.
> Is there a way, where I can set it , so these questions only run on their
> log-on only? None of that stuff was installed in my log-on. I use Win XP
> home, and all your help is much appreciated again. ..................Opa
> Peter

peterm

Thanks David........Well, I guess I made a mistake then. Is there a setting
in the future for his log on that allows a install of a program only?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Administrators install for All Users, that's the point of an admin.

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I got so much help here, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate
> this group. Maybe I can get two more questions in. I have my daughter and
> my
> grandson listed with their own log-on, as restricted users. However, they
> can still use all my programs, and see them when they go to the program
> menu. If I can't change it, so be it, but how can I change it to
> reflect/show only programs that I like them to see/use? The other
> question,
> I purchased my grandson an IPOD, I gave him admin rights to install the
> ITune program and also Yahoo messenger. (I then also went back and made
> him
> a restricted user again)Now, every time I log on as me (administrator), I
> go through all this ITUNE configuration stuff , asking for OK on this and
> that, Yahoo stuff also wants a whole bunch of yes and no loading
> questions.
> Is there a way, where I can set it , so these questions only run on their
> log-on only? None of that stuff was installed in my log-on. I use Win XP
> home, and all your help is much appreciated again. .................Opa
> Peter

The setup program decides.

1. If an admin installs it should install for all users OR ask current user only or all users. Most programs don't ask because their programmers decided not too (or didn't think of it).

2. If a user installs, it should install for that user or if it can't, not install at all. Most setup programs are too stupid to install for limited users. A limited user cannot install to normal locations. But they can install into My Docs or similar folders if the setup program allows.

3. If Pro you can enable Install With Elevated Priveledge which allows users to install as if they were the System, but still per user. In testing (I've only have a limited number of programs that are programmed correctly to ask if admin and per user if not admin) and it works for programs that don't require Direct X. For Direct X programs it can't get the version of DX (I have 9 and it wants 8 or higher). This is only for programs that use Windows Installer although other companies may honour it.

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message news:cpWdnQNt5dRYnyPfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> Thanks David........Well, I guess I made a mistake then. Is there a setting
> in the future for his log on that allows a install of a program only?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Administrators install for All Users, that's the point of an admin.

> "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I got so much help here, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate
>> this group. Maybe I can get two more questions in. I have my daughter and
>> my
>> grandson listed with their own log-on, as restricted users. However, they
>> can still use all my programs, and see them when they go to the program
>> menu. If I can't change it, so be it, but how can I change it to
>> reflect/show only programs that I like them to see/use? The other
>> question,
>> I purchased my grandson an IPOD, I gave him admin rights to install the
>> ITune program and also Yahoo messenger. (I then also went back and made
>> him
>> a restricted user again)Now, every time I log on as me (administrator), I
>> go through all this ITUNE configuration stuff , asking for OK on this and
>> that, Yahoo stuff also wants a whole bunch of yes and no loading
>> questions.
>> Is there a way, where I can set it , so these questions only run on their
>> log-on only? None of that stuff was installed in my log-on. I use Win XP
>> home, and all your help is much appreciated again. ..................Opa
>> Peter

peterm

Thanks again for your generous explanation on this subject. I guess I have
to upgrade to Pro, to make this work for me. I really don't have a problem
with anything I have on my computer, as far as anyone else seeing it, or
using it, I just thought it would be nice to learn how to restrict things
like this. Many thanks...............Peter