Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)
Repair search assistant:
1. Double-click My Computer, then C: drive.
2. Choose Tools, Folder Options, View, choose "show hidden files and
folders," and uncheck "hide operating system files," Click Apply, and then
3. Click Start, select Run, and type the following command:
4. Click OK to open the INF folder.
5. Locate the Srchasst.inf file.
6. Right-click the file and select Install. This will reinstall the files
that are required for Search to operate normally.