WinAce help - lost in "The Void"

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Ahoy all, I have a very nasty problem with winace 2.4.12

My map file seems to have been somehow corrupted so all sectors
show up as black and all I can see are units. All sectors meaning
mine, and others, land and sea. Now if I click around on sectors
I can see their contents in the side window panel. It's still possible
to execute commands using the menus or typing. You can
even click and move blindly. Everything seems to work fine
except the map interface.

Of course this happened about 20 min pre-update.

I'm currently running version 2.4.12 on w2k. This actually
happended to me last year on a machine running me, but
I thought it was the os and since the game went down around
the same time i didn't think about it.

Am looking up sourceforce too. Please help us escape "The Void."
TIA,

=GM=

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

The sector colors are stored in the registry. The problem will
not go away even if you uninstall and then re-install. However,
there is a 'Reset Colors' button in the form where you can set
player colors. That should fix the problem. Back when I first
saw this a few years back, I had to uninstall WinACE, search
and purge the registry and then re-install WinACE to clear the
problem. Thankfully Ron added the color reset button.

The original bug has been allusive. Do you know what you were
doing just prior to the problem? Was it like that when you tried
to log in? What was the status at your previous logout - crash,
out of BTUs, etcetera? Do you use the 'F4' graduated coloring
capability and did you use it around the time of the problem?

Tom

"gthreat" <gthreat@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Ahoy all, I have a very nasty problem with winace 2.4.12
>
> My map file seems to have been somehow corrupted so all sectors
> show up as black and all I can see are units. All sectors meaning
> mine, and others, land and sea. Now if I click around on sectors
> I can see their contents in the side window panel. It's still possible
> to execute commands using the menus or typing. You can
> even click and move blindly. Everything seems to work fine
> except the map interface.
>
> Of course this happened about 20 min pre-update.
>
> I'm currently running version 2.4.12 on w2k. This actually
> happended to me last year on a machine running me, but
> I thought it was the os and since the game went down around
> the same time i didn't think about it.
>
> Am looking up sourceforce too. Please help us escape "The Void."
> TIA,
>
> =GM=

Have you tried the obvious things? Like refreshing database. Refresh
Bmap. Refresh all. That sort of thing. I am not an expert on this, but I
believe if you 1) export your telegrams 2) delete the data file for the game
3) log back in, WinAce will rebuild your data files from the server info.
At that point everything should be there. Then you just import your
telegrams back in. Check with the WinAce programmer first though. I could
be completely wrong...

Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

This problem happened to me quite a few times during retroempire on
Winace 2.4.10. Occurred whenever I crashed or when I tried to log in
when the server had crashed. Never seemed to be a problem in earlier
versions of Winace.

As Tom said, just go to the reset color option. You can define the
color of your sectors and enemy sectors as well.

To avoid this happening when I discovered that the server had crashed,
I just clicked "ignore" and work offline during log in. The problem
then didnt occur, presumably because the old registry was retained.

Wahbit

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I already tried that - didn't work since it seems nothings wrong
with the data files. Did get me to thinking about what
was actually wrong and manually setting the colors and voila.

Thanks,

=GM=

Ron K is the man to ask but try this:
'Version' command