Remote Desktop vs Wireless Network??

I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
--

Thanks in advance... Bob

In article <manve.6384$up5.5553@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
<bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:
>I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
>do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
>router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
>on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
>always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
>considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
>Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
>desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?

Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If it detects the
shared Internet connection provided by the router, tell it to use that
connection. Otherwise, tell it that they connect to the Internet
through a residential gateway. The Wizard will automatically set up
file and printer sharing and install the desktop's printer on the
laptop as a network printer.

If all you need is to access the desktop's files and printers from the
laptop, there's no reason to set up Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop
would let you operate the desktop computer from the laptop, just the
same as if you were sitting in front of the desktop and using its
keyboard and mouse.

I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from other
computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting
at my main computer.

If you want to use Remote Desktop from other places, you'll need to:

1. Enable port forwarding for port 3389 in your router.

2. Use a good user name and password on the desktop computer to
prevent Internet hackers from breaking in. The folks in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely probably have additional
security ideas.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

If sharing files is your idea, remote desktop will not help. Remote desktop
is a feature using which you can control a Windows XP pro machine from any
other Windows operating system.

Wireless network would be choice. Physicalling connect your desktop to your
router and use Laptop to wirelessly communicate with router and also access
desktop resources like printer.

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936

Windows XP: Get Started Using Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

How to set up your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314897&sd=tech
--
JonyBrv

"Bob Newman" wrote:

> I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
> do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
> router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
> on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
> always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
> considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
> Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
> desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
> --
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
network for security purposes?

Again, thanks... Bob

In article <N6ove.6393$up5.5307@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
<bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:
>>>I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
>>>do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
>>>router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
>>>on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
>>>always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
>>>considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
>>>Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
>>>desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
>>
>>Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If it detects the
>>shared Internet connection provided by the router, tell it to use that
>>connection. Otherwise, tell it that they connect to the Internet
>>through a residential gateway. The Wizard will automatically set up
>>file and printer sharing and install the desktop's printer on the
>>laptop as a network printer.
>>
>>If all you need is to access the desktop's files and printers from the
>>laptop, there's no reason to set up Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop
>>would let you operate the desktop computer from the laptop, just the
>>same as if you were sitting in front of the desktop and using its
>>keyboard and mouse.
>>
>>I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from other
>>computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
>>great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting
>>at my main computer.
>>
>>If you want to use Remote Desktop from other places, you'll need to:
>>
>>1. Enable port forwarding for port 3389 in your router.
>>
>>2. Use a good user name and password on the desktop computer to
>>prevent Internet hackers from breaking in. The folks in
>>microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely probably have additional
>>security ideas.
>
>Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
>network for security purposes?
>
>Again, thanks... Bob

You're welcome, Bob.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please reply in the
news group and explain it further.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

You said: "I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from
other computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting at my
main computer." and yet you primarily recommended I use the networking
choice. As far as I can tell the remote desktop gives you everything the
network would plus the ability to access the computer from another location.
So my question was why did you recommend networking over Remote Desktop?

In article <IVBve.6549$up5.3483@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
<bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
>>>network for security purposes?
>>>
>>>Again, thanks... Bob
>>
>>You're welcome, Bob.
>>
>>I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please reply in the
>>news group and explain it further.
>
>You said: "I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from
>other computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
>great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting at my
>main computer." and yet you primarily recommended I use the networking
>choice. As far as I can tell the remote desktop gives you everything the
>network would plus the ability to access the computer from another location.
>So my question was why did you recommend networking over Remote Desktop?
>
>Bob

Thanks. Let's see if I understand now.

I don't think that I recommended networking (sharing files and
printers) over Remote Desktop (operating one computer from another
computer). I use both on my home network, for different purposes.

My main computer has a shared printer that I use from it and from
other computers on the network. My main computer has shared disks and
folders (containing pictures, downloaded files, etc) that I use from
it and from other computers on my network. A simple network with File
and Printer Sharing enabled lets me do all that.

My main computer has some programs installed (E-mail, news group
reader, Microsoft Office) that aren't installed on the other
computers. So, when I want to read E-mail, reply to a news group
message, or edit a Word document, I have to do it on my main
computer. But I don't have to be sitting in front of my main
computer. I can do it from any computer, using Remote Desktop to let
me operate the main computer. Since my main computer is a
non-portable desktop/tower, I often run the Remote Desktop client
program on my laptop computer so that I can work (operate my main
computer) using the laptop from anywhere in the house, on the front
porch, etc.

If you just want to access your desktop computer's files and printers
from the your laptop, then you don't need Remote Desktop. You can sit
at the laptop, use the laptop's programs, and access the desktop's
shared files and printers as desired.

If you want to operate your desktop computer from your laptop
computer, you need Remote Desktop.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com