Remote Desktop vs Wireless Network??

I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
--

Thanks in advance... Bob
7 answers Last reply

    In article <manve.6384$up5.5553@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
    <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:
    >I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
    >do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
    >router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
    >on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
    >always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
    >considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
    >Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
    >desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If it detects the
    shared Internet connection provided by the router, tell it to use that
    connection. Otherwise, tell it that they connect to the Internet
    through a residential gateway. The Wizard will automatically set up
    file and printer sharing and install the desktop's printer on the
    laptop as a network printer.

    If all you need is to access the desktop's files and printers from the
    laptop, there's no reason to set up Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop
    would let you operate the desktop computer from the laptop, just the
    same as if you were sitting in front of the desktop and using its
    keyboard and mouse.

    I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from other
    computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
    great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting
    at my main computer.

    If you want to use Remote Desktop from other places, you'll need to:

    1. Enable port forwarding for port 3389 in your router.

    2. Use a good user name and password on the desktop computer to
    prevent Internet hackers from breaking in. The folks in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely probably have additional
    security ideas.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    If sharing files is your idea, remote desktop will not help. Remote desktop
    is a feature using which you can control a Windows XP pro machine from any
    other Windows operating system.

    Wireless network would be choice. Physicalling connect your desktop to your
    router and use Laptop to wirelessly communicate with router and also access
    desktop resources like printer.

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936

    Windows XP: Get Started Using Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

    How to set up your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314897&sd=tech
    --
    JonyBrv

    "Bob Newman" wrote:

    > I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
    > do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
    > router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
    > on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
    > always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
    > considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
    > Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
    > desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
    > --
    >
    > Thanks in advance... Bob

    Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
    network for security purposes?

    Again, thanks... Bob

    In article <N6ove.6393$up5.5307@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
    <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:
    >>>I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently
    >>>do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem &
    >>>router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files
    >>>on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and
    >>>always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm
    >>>considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop.
    >>>Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote
    >>>desktop would let me access it from other places as well as home)?
    >>
    >>Run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer. If it detects the
    >>shared Internet connection provided by the router, tell it to use that
    >>connection. Otherwise, tell it that they connect to the Internet
    >>through a residential gateway. The Wizard will automatically set up
    >>file and printer sharing and install the desktop's printer on the
    >>laptop as a network printer.
    >>
    >>If all you need is to access the desktop's files and printers from the
    >>laptop, there's no reason to set up Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop
    >>would let you operate the desktop computer from the laptop, just the
    >>same as if you were sitting in front of the desktop and using its
    >>keyboard and mouse.
    >>
    >>I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from other
    >>computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
    >>great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting
    >>at my main computer.
    >>
    >>If you want to use Remote Desktop from other places, you'll need to:
    >>
    >>1. Enable port forwarding for port 3389 in your router.
    >>
    >>2. Use a good user name and password on the desktop computer to
    >>prevent Internet hackers from breaking in. The folks in
    >>microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely probably have additional
    >>security ideas.
    >
    >Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
    >network for security purposes?
    >
    >Again, thanks... Bob

    You're welcome, Bob.

    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please reply in the
    news group and explain it further.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    You said: "I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from
    other computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
    great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting at my
    main computer." and yet you primarily recommended I use the networking
    choice. As far as I can tell the remote desktop gives you everything the
    network would plus the ability to access the computer from another location.
    So my question was why did you recommend networking over Remote Desktop?

    In article <IVBve.6549$up5.3483@lakeread02>, "Bob Newman"
    <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote:

    >>>Thank you very much. One question though. Is the reason you recomend the
    >>>network for security purposes?
    >>>
    >>>Again, thanks... Bob
    >>
    >>You're welcome, Bob.
    >>
    >>I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please reply in the
    >>news group and explain it further.
    >
    >You said: "I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer from
    >other computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places. It's
    >great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting at my
    >main computer." and yet you primarily recommended I use the networking
    >choice. As far as I can tell the remote desktop gives you everything the
    >network would plus the ability to access the computer from another location.
    >So my question was why did you recommend networking over Remote Desktop?
    >
    >Bob

    Thanks. Let's see if I understand now.

    I don't think that I recommended networking (sharing files and
    printers) over Remote Desktop (operating one computer from another
    computer). I use both on my home network, for different purposes.

    My main computer has a shared printer that I use from it and from
    other computers on the network. My main computer has shared disks and
    folders (containing pictures, downloaded files, etc) that I use from
    it and from other computers on my network. A simple network with File
    and Printer Sharing enabled lets me do all that.

    My main computer has some programs installed (E-mail, news group
    reader, Microsoft Office) that aren't installed on the other
    computers. So, when I want to read E-mail, reply to a news group
    message, or edit a Word document, I have to do it on my main
    computer. But I don't have to be sitting in front of my main
    computer. I can do it from any computer, using Remote Desktop to let
    me operate the main computer. Since my main computer is a
    non-portable desktop/tower, I often run the Remote Desktop client
    program on my laptop computer so that I can work (operate my main
    computer) using the laptop from anywhere in the house, on the front
    porch, etc.

    If you just want to access your desktop computer's files and printers
    from the your laptop, then you don't need Remote Desktop. You can sit
    at the laptop, use the laptop's programs, and access the desktop's
    shared files and printers as desired.

    If you want to operate your desktop computer from your laptop
    computer, you need Remote Desktop.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Thanks... Now I get it.

    I'm

    > >>You're welcome, Bob.
    > >>
    > >>I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please reply in the
    > >>news group and explain it further.
    > >
    > >You said: "I frequently use Remote Desktop to operate my main computer
    from
    > >other computers in my house and, via the Internet, from other places.
    It's
    > >great being able to work from anywhere just like I do when I'm sitting at
    my
    > >main computer." and yet you primarily recommended I use the networking
    > >choice. As far as I can tell the remote desktop gives you everything the
    > >network would plus the ability to access the computer from another
    location.
    > >So my question was why did you recommend networking over Remote Desktop?
    > >
    > >Bob
    >
    > Thanks. Let's see if I understand now.
    >
    > I don't think that I recommended networking (sharing files and
    > printers) over Remote Desktop (operating one computer from another
    > computer). I use both on my home network, for different purposes.
    >
    > My main computer has a shared printer that I use from it and from
    > other computers on the network. My main computer has shared disks and
    > folders (containing pictures, downloaded files, etc) that I use from
    > it and from other computers on my network. A simple network with File
    > and Printer Sharing enabled lets me do all that.
    >
    > My main computer has some programs installed (E-mail, news group
    > reader, Microsoft Office) that aren't installed on the other
    > computers. So, when I want to read E-mail, reply to a news group
    > message, or edit a Word document, I have to do it on my main
    > computer. But I don't have to be sitting in front of my main
    > computer. I can do it from any computer, using Remote Desktop to let
    > me operate the main computer. Since my main computer is a
    > non-portable desktop/tower, I often run the Remote Desktop client
    > program on my laptop computer so that I can work (operate my main
    > computer) using the laptop from anywhere in the house, on the front
    > porch, etc.
    >
    > If you just want to access your desktop computer's files and printers
    > from the your laptop, then you don't need Remote Desktop. You can sit
    > at the laptop, use the laptop's programs, and access the desktop's
    > shared files and printers as desired.
    >
    > If you want to operate your desktop computer from your laptop
    > computer, you need Remote Desktop.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Laptops Remote Desktop Wireless Network Desktops Windows XP