Ed

Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up but
looking to change to broadband:

What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service provider
can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so inexpensive
please.

When you make the switch to broadband, your hardware (the cable or dsl
modem) will have a hardware firewall built in that you can then customize.
As for software, you don't need to spend a dime. Get Zone Alarm Free
Edition. It will completely stealth your system. Since you mention it,
what about your computers do you not want your ISP to see? The address?
The hard drive and/or specific folders and files on the hard drive? You
would be amazed at just what is possible in the information industry today.
If someone wants to see what is on your computer, and they have the money,
tools, and knowledge, there is nothing you can do short of disconnecting it
to stop them from getting what they want.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
you.

"ed" <M@sk.ed> wrote in message news:d9l1cn$8np$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up
> but looking to change to broadband:
>
> What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service provider
> can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so inexpensive
> please.

Why do you want to hide your computer from broadband service provider first
of all ?

Do they charge you based on the internet traffic you use ?

If you are planning for a good security, go for Norton Internet security.
Your router should also have a NAT firewall built-in
--
JonyBrv

In article <#Bl6tPfeFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Kevin"
<webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"ed" <M@sk.ed> wrote in message news:d9l1cn$8np$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up
>> but looking to change to broadband:
>>
>> What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service provider
>> can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so inexpensive
>> please.
>
>When you make the switch to broadband, your hardware (the cable or dsl
>modem) will have a hardware firewall built in that you can then customize.

I think that statement is too broad. I've seen lots of DSL and cable
modems that are just modems, with no firewall or router built in.

>As for software, you don't need to spend a dime. Get Zone Alarm Free
>Edition. It will completely stealth your system. Since you mention it,
>what about your computers do you not want your ISP to see? The address?
>The hard drive and/or specific folders and files on the hard drive? You
>would be amazed at just what is possible in the information industry today.
>If someone wants to see what is on your computer, and they have the money,
>tools, and knowledge, there is nothing you can do short of disconnecting it
>to stop them from getting what they want.

I think that statement is too broad. A properly configured hardware
and/or software firewall makes a network and its computers invisible
to other Internet users.

--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jonybrv wrote:

> Why do you want to hide your computer from broadband service provider first
> of all ?
>
> Do they charge you based on the internet traffic you use ?
>
> If you are planning for a good security, go for Norton Internet security.
> Your router should also have a NAT firewall built-in

Avoid Norton Internet Security. There are other, better solutions, that
are less resource intensive to boot. NAT is not a firewall.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

When on broadband using a software firewall the isp can
see how many computers are connected- if more than one they can disconnect
as its against their acceptable use policy. A hardware firewall prevents
them from seeing beyond the firewall- they see only one connection not how
many computers are on the connection.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When you make the switch to broadband, your hardware (the cable or dsl
> modem) will have a hardware firewall built in that you can then customize.
> As for software, you don't need to spend a dime. Get Zone Alarm Free
> Edition. It will completely stealth your system. Since you mention it,
> what about your computers do you not want your ISP to see? The address?
> The hard drive and/or specific folders and files on the hard drive? You
> would be amazed at just what is possible in the information industry
> today. If someone wants to see what is on your computer, and they have the
> money, tools, and knowledge, there is nothing you can do short of
> disconnecting it to stop them from getting what they want.
>
> Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
> you.
>
> "ed" <M@sk.ed> wrote in message news:d9l1cn$8np$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up
>> but looking to change to broadband:
>>
>> What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service
>> provider can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so
>> inexpensive please.

Ed

Its because some ISP's ban you if you have more than one computer connected.
I heard that software firewalls dont stop them seeing them.

In article <d9ljfd$ieb$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "ed" <M@sk.ed> wrote:
>Its because some ISP's ban you if you have more than one computer connected.
>I heard that software firewalls dont stop them seeing them.

A software firewall doesn't have an Internet sharing capability and
can't allow multiple computers to access the Internet.

Internet sharing typically uses hardware or software acting as a NAT
router or proxy server.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Your proposed broadband ISP will undoubtedly have an "Acceptable Use" policy
wherein they specify how many computers you can use, as well as other
allowable uses, such as Web servers, FTP, etc. Comcast, for instance, is very
liberal in my area, and even offers limited support for router problems. Find
this document and set your mind at ease.

"ed" wrote:

> Its because some ISP's ban you if you have more than one computer connected.
> I heard that software firewalls dont stop them seeing them.
>

> "Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why do you want to hide your computer from broadband service provider
> > first
> > of all ?
> >
> > Do they charge you based on the internet traffic you use ?
> >
> > If you are planning for a good security, go for Norton Internet security.
> > Your router should also have a NAT firewall built-in
> > --
> > JonyBrv
> >

> > "ed" wrote:
> >
> >> Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up
> >> but
> >> looking to change to broadband:
> >>
> >> What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service
> >> provider
> >> can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so inexpensive
> >> please.

It sounds to me like you are confusing a "hardware firewall" with a
broadband router. Contrary to belief, very few home broadband routers
come with a hardware firewall. Almost every one of them DO come with
Network Address Translation (NAT) built-in to them, but that is most
definetely NOT the same thing as a hardware firewall.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:26:08 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>When on broadband using a software firewall the isp can
>see how many computers are connected- if more than one they can disconnect
>as its against their acceptable use policy. A hardware firewall prevents
>them from seeing beyond the firewall- they see only one connection not how
>many computers are on the connection.
>

>"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> When you make the switch to broadband, your hardware (the cable or dsl
>> modem) will have a hardware firewall built in that you can then customize.
>> As for software, you don't need to spend a dime. Get Zone Alarm Free
>> Edition. It will completely stealth your system. Since you mention it,
>> what about your computers do you not want your ISP to see? The address?
>> The hard drive and/or specific folders and files on the hard drive? You
>> would be amazed at just what is possible in the information industry
>> today. If someone wants to see what is on your computer, and they have the
>> money, tools, and knowledge, there is nothing you can do short of
>> disconnecting it to stop them from getting what they want.
>>
>> Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
>> you.
>>
>> "ed" <M@sk.ed> wrote in message news:d9l1cn$8np$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>> Small home network with a wireless gateway router. Currently on dial up
>>> but looking to change to broadband:
>>>
>>> What kind of firewall do I need to install so a broadband service
>>> provider can't see my attached computers- limited funds though, so
>>> inexpensive please.

It's not my question.
Read what I said again. I didnt mention a router- you have.

NobodyMan wrote:

> It sounds to me like you are confusing a "hardware firewall" with a
> broadband router. Contrary to belief, very few home broadband routers
> come with a hardware firewall. Almost every one of them DO come with
> Network Address Translation (NAT) built-in to them, but that is most
> definetely NOT the same thing as a hardware firewall.
>
>So why do so many router manufacturers state that they include a hardware firewall,
and even have the option to configure it, when you open their ip as a url?

Jonybrv wrote:

> Why do you want to hide your computer from broadband service provider first
> of all ?
>
> Do they charge you based on the internet traffic you use ?
>
> If you are planning for a good security, go for Norton Internet security.
> Your router should also have a NAT firewall built-in

Network Adress Translation (NAT) has nothing to do with firewalls. The
fact that a router often employs both facilities doesn't prevent them
from being mutually exclusive situations.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:39:34 +0100, ClippertyClop
<clipperty@clop.co.uk> wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:
>
>> It sounds to me like you are confusing a "hardware firewall" with a
>> broadband router. Contrary to belief, very few home broadband routers
>> come with a hardware firewall. Almost every one of them DO come with
>> Network Address Translation (NAT) built-in to them, but that is most
>> definetely NOT the same thing as a hardware firewall.
>>
>>So why do so many router manufacturers state that they include a hardware firewall,
>and even have the option to configure it, when you open their ip as a url?

A true internet router may well contain a hardware firewall, but they
are very expensive and don't sit in very many homes. They sit at
Service Providers and route traffice from thousands of requests.

A BROADBAND ROUTER is the normal home variant, but is designed
differently. You don't have to worry about managing routing tables -
it doesn't query anything when sending requests to your ISP and store
the IP addresses of your requests - IOW, it doesn't perform most of
the functions of a true router.

Most folks just plain don't understand the difference between a
FIREWALL and NAT. Instead of trying to explain the difference, a lot
of manufacturers take the path of least resistance and say they have a
"firewall."

My Linksys wireless router has a way of enforcing firewalls - it can
check and ensure each machine accessing it on my local network is
running Zone Alarm - and not allow a machine without it to access the
net through the broadband router. That does NOT mean it includes a
"hardware firewall."

Rest assured, although there are a few broadband routers out there
that do contain true hardware firewalls, they are few and far between
- and cost more than the typical $50-$70 home broadband router.